Cake Ball Questions

Decorating By nickshalfpint Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm by dandelion56602

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 7

What recipe do you guys find that works the best for cake balls, frosting or coffee creamer? And the 2nd question is what texture shoud the mix be before rolling them into balls? I made them before but I don't remember a darn thing. With each kid a little bit of my memory goes away =)Thanks for your help, Kristen

6 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 7

I prefer buttercream mixed w/ it b/c the texture is more cake like & less gooey. But some like a "softer" texture. If you want different flavors you can add flavors to some buttercream before adding it to your cake. I add just a little at a time just until the cake starts sticking together when you stir, so it will stick together when you roll into balls. It's really easy to add too much creamer.

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:07am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for posting this question. I haven't made cake balls (or "cake truffles" as they're called on other sites) yet, but I'm planning to make some for a wedding anniversary dessert buffet in February. My question is whether you all stir the mixture by hand or use a stand mixer. It seems the mixture would be more efficient, but I'm not sure if it would combine the mixture too thoroughly and mess up the texture of the finished product.

dandelion56602 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:18am
post #4 of 7

I usually use a fork to mix mine

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:29am
post #5 of 7

I crumble my cake with my hands or a fork, then mix in icing. Creamer doesn't work as well for me.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 7

Love using the creamers for cake balls for a few reasons. The people I've served them to like the texture when there is just a small amount of creamer (just add enough so the crumbs stick together); there are lots of great flavors to choose from; using creamer doesn't add the extra sweetness that buttercream will.

I like to follow the directions for mixing using the article on CC:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article67-How-To-Make-Cake-Balls.html

But I will usually use a mold because I can't get the balls to look nice. So I pour the mold about 1/3 full of chocolate, put in a lot of the cake ball mixture, then fill the rest of the mold with chocolate and tap on the counter to remove air bubbles. Works great because it looks professional and you can use a chocolate transfer sheet for the occasion.

dandelion56602 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 7

Snowshoe, I like using my small cookie scoop, think it's 1T equivalent. Then I usually roll, but they are all uniform in amount

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%