She Said There Was Not Enough Cake. How??

Decorating By karapags Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm by dawncr

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

How much do you want to bet the piggy service staff started pigging out on the cake before everyone got served? Maybe it's just my employees that are hogs. One wedding I ran, we were serving the cake, still maybe 20 guests or so that had not been served cake yet, and a server (I swear he was high) ate an ENTIRE football tray full of cake. That was like 15 pieces of cake! Grrrrr.

I hope you fired him, or at least gave him what for. That is beyond ridiculous. He's messing with your reputation. (I know if I paid for something and there wasn't enough because one of the staff was eating before everyone was served, I would be really upset.)

(Not trying to criticize you. I'm just amazed at the audacity of some people these days.)

I did fire him, in a way. He was from a temp service, and I complained about him, and they fired him.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:02pm
post #32 of 46

Should have been plenty.

Hey, I recently told a customer that the cake would feed 108 people cut in 2x2" servings. You know what her question was...................................................................

"Oh gosh, how big is that???" icon_eek.gif

I had to keep myself from laughing!!! My friend and I just looked at each other like WTF???? icon_confused.gif

Anyway, the moral to my story is, people don't have a clue how big to make a serving!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #33 of 46

Definetly enough cake -

I always provide a cutting guide to cover myself and I also have this slogan written on my cutting guide at the top of the page:

"When Cutting Your Cake Always Remember It Should Be Served As A Dessert Not A Meal' icon_lol.gif

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:49pm
post #34 of 46

LOVE the serving quote, poshcakedesigns! Sadly, a lot of people probably need to hear that.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #35 of 46

awesome quote, PCD, I'm gonna snag that one and USE IT!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #36 of 46

LOL I love that quote.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:40pm
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

Definetly enough cake -

I always provide a cutting guide to cover myself and I also have this slogan written on my cutting guide at the top of the page:

"When Cutting Your Cake Always Remember It Should Be Served As A Dessert Not A Meal' icon_lol.gif

count me in for loving this too lol

i never provided a cutting guide for my neighbor in the past over the years but this next one comingup i think i will. she wants a 3 teird cake bottom tier 10" 2 layer, 8 inch two layer then a 6 inch 2 layer (gonna have to find the serving guide for the amount for this one lol) for 40-50 guests.

at first it was just for 30-40 then she added another layer and ten more guests..

for crying out loud.. the daughter (bride) is having one reception in one town for that family and one here.. i dont think they will need That much cake.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #38 of 46

Sounds like you had plenty of cake...the person cutting it however, didn't know how!

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #39 of 46

Perhaps people that do wedding cakes should create a dummy/styrofoam cake slice equivalent to the size of a wedding cake serving and show that to prospective clients. That way they will get a better understanding of exactly what a serving size is. People tend to be very visual. Just an idea.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyCakes

Should have been plenty.

Hey, I recently told a customer that the cake would feed 108 people cut in 2x2" servings. You know what her question was...................................................................

"Oh gosh, how big is that???" icon_eek.gif

I had to keep myself from laughing!!! My friend and I just looked at each other like WTF???? icon_confused.gif

Anyway, the moral to my story is, people don't have a clue how big to make a serving!

In my showroom (actually it's a showarea icon_lol.gif ) I've made up dummy cake serving sizes. The Wilton wedding and party sizes and some 1" bigger,and 2" bigger. I have prices per serving on all of them. Obviously the bigger the size the more I charge per serving, it's not rocket science, I just wanted to clarify.
This year I've made 11 wedding cakes, and not 1 bride chose the Wilton size. All of them were using the cake as the only dessert and were appalled when I showed them the Wilton size and told them that's the standard that most of the industry uses.
It has been extremely helpful to the customer for them to see these dummy pieces, plated on dessert plates. I recommend to you all to do this, I guarantee you your clients will go with the bigger sizes, which you charge MORE for, and your profits will increase. thumbs_up.gif So everyone wins, and I haven't had anybody call me to say they ran out of cake icon_smile.gif [/quote]

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #41 of 46

They must have been taking piggy-sized slices. The good news is that they must have liked the cake! Much better than hearing that they had tons left over. Now THAT would make me worry.

I recently brought a 2 layer 9" round cake to work for a birthday. Each layer was 3" thick. There are only 20 people in our department. I didn't have any cake, and there are a couple other people in our department that are on diets. The cake was gone before lunch, and I got to listen to people complain that they didn't get a slice. It didn't just evaporate, so SOMEONE got a belly full of cake.

I think I'll start using the " . . . Not a Meal" sign.

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:17pm
post #42 of 46

I agree with dkelly27.

I just had my DH cut 3 pieces of wood (he is a carpenter so it was handy) 1 is a "Wilton wedding" size, 1 is a "party" size and 1 is a "10:00pm with a glass of milk" size. I am going to paint them to look like a slice of cake to show those not familiar with cake sizes and pricing.
The last cake I made was for family and should have fed 100 people, there were 45 guest and they had enough for about 12 normal slices left, but I had a hard time getting them to understand the differences in slice sizes and how it should be priced.....Hence the request for the wooden cake slices. Maybe it will make it easier if they can see the difference.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #43 of 46

I don't know, traditional size servings are traditional size servings. I tell my brides that when I make a 9x13 inch cake my son can cut it in half and make two servings out of it, one for now and one for seconds. Or I can get 24 cupcakes out of it. (the light comes on right about now)

I explain to them that the servings are in a different configuration but it is roughly a cupcake size piece of cake with fillings and icing, 1x2x4. They are welcome to purchase more cake for a bigger serving but no one ever does. Glory I don't want to think of the behemoths I'd be making if a bride wanted a larger serving for a 200 serving wedding cake. <faint>

I don't provide a cutting chart. I just can't see people actually using one. I do say at the booking that if they get Aunt Louise's 14 year old twins to cut the cake they will likely not get thier servings. So they need to choose thier cake cutter wisely.

sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:28am
post #44 of 46

At our wedding the kitchen staff helped themselves to lots of cake. In fact, we didn't even get the top layer for our first anniversary! The lady who made our cake felt so bad for us, that she made us on for 1/2 price on our anniversary. I thought it was extremely nice, especially since she wasn't even in the kitchen while they were pigging out. I have given her glowing recomendations whenever possible.
Off to have a "10pm with milk" serving of yummy cake!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 10:00am
post #45 of 46

I dont mean to hijack this discussion, but does anyone have cutting guides and cake serving sizes for many of the wilton pans and bear pans? I always guessamate at about 15-20 servings..does that seem right?

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm
post #46 of 46

Bonjovibabe posted this quite a while ago, and it's such a great idea:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=88648

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%