Is There Such A Thing As Crusting Chocolate Buttercream?

Decorating By serenelui Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 6:39pm by milissasmom

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 24

Hi all... does anyone know whether there is a crusting chocolate buttercream frosting using cocoa powder? I was wondering whether i could use a normal crusting buttercream recipe but add cocoa powder to it.. but not sure if it the addition of cocoa powder to the recipe will still cause the frosting to crust.. has anyone tried this before or does anyone have a crusting chocolate buttercream frosting recipe to share??

23 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 24

Try this recipe located on CC. I haven't tried it but it has good reviews. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2281-Chocolate-Decorators-Buttercream.html

serenelui Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 24

Oh wow!! thanks crisseyann... i searched in CC for crusting chocolate frosting but this recipe didn't come up icon_smile.gif

Erm.. by the way, this is probably going to sound stupid but how much is 2 squares of unsweetened chocolate in ounces? And do you know if i can i use bittersweet chocolate chips i use for making ganache to replace the unsweetened chocolate in this recipe?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 24
serenelui Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 24

thanks indeydebi!! that's a fantastic website icon_smile.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 24

2 C. crisco
1 C. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. butter flavoring
Beat together on low. Then add 2 lb. sifted p. sugar and 1 1/2 C. sifted cocoa powder. It's really important to sift the dry ingredients so you don't get those little lumps of white in your chocolate crusting BC. This is such a great tasting recipe that crusts really well.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 24

I always just add cocoa powder (and some extra liquid) to my regular crusting BC. No problems.

serenelui Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 24

Thanks Mencked!!! I prefer your recipe as i have lots of cocoa powder and no chocolate squares.. haha icon_smile.gif Could i ask whether i could replace shortening with crisco as i don't really like the taste of crisco and whether i need the butter flavouring as i dont have it on hand at the moment :p

serenelui Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 24

Thanks tracey1970... ermm... could i ask whether how much cocoa powder you add or is it just add to taste :p

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 24

I've got to say that the butter flavor really adds a great taste to the chocolate "buttercream". icon_smile.gif I always use Crisco, but you could try another shortening too! Good luck!

serenelui Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 24

Thanks Mencked... hmm.. guess i'll have to get that butter flavouring after all :p

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 24

I use the chocolate frosting recipe on the back of the Hershey can. After it's mixed, I just add more ps (usually double what the recipe calls). Super easy and super delish!

Note: It makes a DARK colored chocolate frosting, so it's easy to make this black if needed.

HTH

TammyH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

I always just add cocoa powder (and some extra liquid) to my regular crusting BC. No problems.

Same here ... for the liquid, I sometimes use Hershey's syrup.

How much? I've no idea..... keep adding "until it looks right"!

Winter1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winter1979 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #14 of 24

I use Sugarshacks buttercream recipe and I add one jar of hot fudge ice cream topping and about 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa - yummy and crusts

serenelui Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 24

Thanks TammyH... hmm.. i never noticed the recipe on the Hershey's can.. haha.. will go take a closer look at it icon_smile.gif

serenelui Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 24

ooo... that does sound yummy Winter1979... oh wow!! so many great recommendations.. wondering which recipe to use now.. haha...

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:13am
post #17 of 24

Sorry - been out for a bit - I think it's about 1/4 to 1/2 cup, not exactly sure. I'd err on the lower side until you see what you like. Pure cocoa powder can come across as bitter to some people.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:51am
post #18 of 24

I just add some form of chocolate to my regular crusting buttercream recipe. The only adjustment I have found is that sometimes it needs more liquid.

My favorite right now is the Special Dark Cocoa powder I use about a cup to 2lbs powder sugar. I usually just do it to taste/color. Next up is melted chocolate. icon_smile.gif

serenelui Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #19 of 24

Thanks tracey1970!

TexasSugar... thanks... the crusting buttercream recipe i'm using now is actually the one here on CC for the Viva method.. will try adding cocoa powder to it and see if it works icon_smile.gif thanks!

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:20pm
post #20 of 24

if you use the wilton buttercream recipe and add between 1/2 - 1 cup cocoa powder it will crust just like normal buttercream.

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:39pm
post #21 of 24

Isn't there a new recipe added for crusting chocolate buttercream? Down bottom on the home page?

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:59pm
post #22 of 24

Oh man, I used to use cocoa powder but that stuff just flew everywhere. The last time I made it with the powder I was being reaaallll careful, and BOOM! It was like it exploded from the mixer! It was on the floor, the cabinets, even up my nose (gross I know but that was the last straw!). So, I started using this recipe:

But I would add 6 oz. of unsweetened chocolate that had been melted and cooled to room temp, I'd add it right before the sugar and after the first time, I'll never go back to cocoa! Well, maybe I would go back if someone else offered to clean up the mess but, I think it's creamier with the melted chocolate. It also crusts well, usually after about 5-10 minutes. In my gallery, the last 3 chocolate frosted cakes I made were with this recipe.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:02pm
post #23 of 24

I buy all of my buttercream icing from Sams Club. Chocolate and Vanilla, and it come in a 27lb tub for $28. Cant beat it!! I love the stuff. Super Smooth and not too sweet!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:39pm
post #24 of 24

I add about 12 tbs of Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder (Never had a problem with it being any messier than powdered sugar, you can even mix it in with your sugar, it's super easy to do)! And I also add about 6 oz of chocolate squares melted and cooled to my regular crusting buttercream. Works like a charm. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%