Help Mmf Problem!!

Decorating By tifscakes Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 2:11am by EagerBaker

tifscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tifscakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 7

icon_cry.gif has anyone had a problem with powdered sugar balling up when making mmf . I'm making it ahead for my brothers wedding .
is my fondant junk or will it disolve in .?

6 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:39am
post #2 of 7

I had that problem a lot when I first started making mine. You'll have to scrap the batch you already made, unfortunately. The balls are moisture that balls up the sugar. You have to add the powdered sugar slowly,just a bit at a time, making sure that all of the moisture is absorbed before you add most of the sugar. If you just dump it in too quickly, it makes those little balls and ruins your batch. This happens with wilton's gum paste recipe too. If this doesn't make sense, pm me and I'll try to explain better. Good luck!

EagerBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EagerBaker Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #3 of 7

I don't add it slowly to mine and haven't had any problems. I couldn't tell you how many batches I've made. One question, though, did you sift the powdered sugar before you used it for the fondant?

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #4 of 7

Yeah, I know a lot of people haven't had that problem. I had the hardest time finding the answer to the problem because it seems that for some reason most people don't have it! I would sift my ps several times in order to try to avoid the issue, but it never worked and I would spend hours picking out the little pieces! I finally saw a thread where someone addressed the issue and this was their solution. I tried it and it worked great for me. So good luck!

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #5 of 7

certainly the weather would have an effect on the clumping.
I usually just keep working and working, even after it has sat overnight............then I just pick out what hasn't mixed in...............

cakemom55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom55 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #6 of 7

I have made the MMF about 40 times now....each time with its own little, quirky issues.

I have had a handful of times when I did get those little sugar balls that you mentioned.

What I did was separate the MMF into 2 logs, wrapped tightly with plastic, and came back to them a couple of days later.

I reheated in the microwave for just a few seconds to make it kneadable, and after working it for just a few minutes, nearly every one of those sugar balls dissipated.

Even if I was not able to get the sugar to dissolve, I would not throw the batch out (I am cheap that way!!). I would roll it out and cut out decorations around the sugar ball parts.

Just my opinion!

icon_biggrin.gif

EagerBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EagerBaker Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #7 of 7

Another thing I have noticed that makes a big difference is to make sure the powdered sugar is 10X. If it doesn't say that on the packaging I don't buy it. I melt the marshmallows really well then add about 1/2 of the powdered sugar on top of the melted marshmallows and mix it in with a wooden spoon. I turn that out on the rest of the powdered sugar on the counter and start kneading.

Two hints I have learned along the way. 1 - I add 2 Tbsp of corn syrup to the marshmallow along with the 2 Tbsp of water when I'm melting them. 2 - I always leave back about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar. If I add all of it the fondant tends to crack and tear easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%