Non-Wilton Instructing

Business By jennianne Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm by cakedout

jennianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennianne Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 3

I have been asked to do private instructions for a friend's daughter. I had never thought of being a personal teacher...but it sounds like fun! Then I thought...birthday parties, girl's night out parties...I could make a second business out of this! (but I don't know if I really want to teach my friends too much since they are my customers too icon_wink.gif )

Has anyone taught lessons privately or done parties? Do you teach Wilton methods? I know my "mentor" took classes that were not Wilton, but that was years ago!

2 replies
kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:53am
post #2 of 3

I thought about teaching privately but I'm with you, if I teach too many people then they won't need me. Selfish yes but gotta make a living.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 3

I taught for Wilton for about 5 years, then starting teaching independantly. My classes were based on the Wilton method, but were more in-depth.

I also have done private groups and parties on occasion. From my experience it really didn't affect my business...'course I had migrated to doing just wedding cakes and not the b-day stuff. And sometimes, I had former class members call me for a cake simply because it was much easier for them to have me do it than for them to try to spend an entire day working on a cake! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%