Please Help

Business By confectionaryperfection Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 12:24pm by confectionaryperfection

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 6

i have a cookie shop interested in me selling my cakes thru them. they would take the order, tell me what they need, collect the money and then when i deliver the cake, they would pay me my price. I need to give them a price list for birthday cakes, starting at 8" round up to sheetcakes. and i guess extra cost for special decorations like sugar flow ect.. any help with pricing? i am in ny. Also what else should we talk about? any one ever do this?? all help is really appreciated

5 replies
Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:07am
post #2 of 6

Well the way to do it would be to guage prices in the area, leave the shop to make something on the sale and quote them a wholesalers rate. 8" in our area is good for up to $30...now you could sell it to them for 20 and they can sell it further for say 25, explain that to them when giving your price list, maybe a column of suggested retail price. Take care!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 6

I don't know that I would do it.. it's a lot of hassle.. you have to work when they want you to.. they will expect you to sell your cakes to them at a discount so they can mark them up and make a profit. I don't know about you, but it costs me $20 to make an 8" cake.. so they wouldn't like me charging them $80 (I normally charge $95) for it. I'd find out exactly what they want from you before you make any commitments. We are often quick to jump on these opportunities only to find out that it's not as fun as we thought it'd be.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

We are often quick to jump on these opportunities only to find out that it's not as fun as we thought it'd be.

The compliment and the potential exposure is great .... the work turns out to be a real pain.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 6

I feel I should share..

I have had offers to sell cakes and cuppies in shops.. but I refused because that's not the type of business I wanted. I wanted to makes cakes on my terms and not your typical grocery store cakes.. I didn't want to have to deliver 6 cakes and 6 dozen cuppies every few days to 3 locations.. that's not how I roll. icon_wink.gif

It is very complimentary and exciting to think that someone thinks you are good enough for them to sell to their customers.. but it all teeters on what you want to do with your business.

Sorry to babble again..

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 6

thank you all for the advise. i met with the shop. what a wonderful lady! we are going to sell the custom only cakes at my price with % reflected above that for the shop. that way i get my price and only do custom cakes nothing smaller then 10" also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%