I Will Make Your Wedding Cake For Free!!!!

Business By Jasmine33 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 3:28am by stephanie214

curiouscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiouscakemaker Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:05pm
post #31 of 92

Hi Everyone,

I've done 5 wedding cakes - 4 of them free !! The one I did charge for was a two tier with a ribbon around the base for a co-worker and I charged her $55.00, and even she thought that wasn't enough.

My question to the person that posted the question in the first place, is why does it matter? Is it affecting you selling cakes? Are you in the same area as this other woman and she's taking business away from your bakery? I'm confused, I guess I just don't understand why it would matter what anyone charges for a cake or chooses not to charge for a cake.

I haven't been on this site long and I just started posting my cake photos and I'm even a little embarrased, because I can't compare to any of the cakes on this site - there are so many wonderful, talented cake decorators...but I got the feeling from this site that no one cares if the cakes aren't perfect it's the attempt that counts. I've started reading some posts and I've been frightened by some of the topics and comments...my DH has always said women were brutal when it comes to being nasty to other women...and I have to say, I've seen some of that here.

Let's just make cake...and eat it!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #32 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscakemaker

my DH has always said women were brutal when it comes to being nasty to other women

Unfortunately, you'd be hard pressed to find any community of (mostly) women where this isn't true.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:33pm
post #33 of 92

I don't remember the original post either, would someone mind Pm' me the information or screenname. I would like to look this up and read it.

Thanks!!

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #34 of 92

If i remember correctly they shut that thread down cuz it got brutal... it was mostly about members finding their own pics on her site without permission... it wasnt too much about why she makes them for free... why she does it isnt the issue.. its that she wasnt properly advertising her talents and not giving credit to the pic's that she lifted on other websites.. she now has a disclaimer to that

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #35 of 92

Are y'all talking about the "Stolen Pics" thread? The people in TX that were making cakes in the "comfortability" of their own home?

tx_cupcake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #36 of 92

Yes, I believe it was the thread where people were ganging up on Trent. icon_rolleyes.gif

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:01pm
post #37 of 92

No it was the thread about the one who will make cakes for free but her pictures were of cakes from this site and other cake decorating sites and was disclosing them as her own work..

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:11pm
post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

No it was the thread about the one who will make cakes for free but her pictures were of cakes from this site and other cake decorating sites and was disclosing them as her own work..

I see. There have been several threads about people using pics from this and other sites without permission recently, I must have missed the one where she was doing them for free.

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:20pm
post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

I see. There have been several threads about people using pics from this and other sites without permission recently, I must have missed the one where she was doing them for free.

Please don't let this be another one.

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:35pm
post #40 of 92

Thanks for sharing the website.

If not for threads like these, I would never know there was stuff out there like that!

I will always be shocked by people using other decorators cake pictures on their website without permission or proper credit.

Make some cakes! Take some pictures! Don't falsely represent yourself!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #41 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

If i remember correctly they shut that thread down cuz it got brutal... it was mostly about members finding their own pics on her site without permission... it wasnt too much about why she makes them for free... why she does it isnt the issue.. its that she wasnt properly advertising her talents and not giving credit to the pic's that she lifted on other websites.. she now has a disclaimer to that

It was actually locked because I PMed Heath. It got way too out of hand. Let's not rehash that-it was a terrible experience for everyone involved, and I am STILL dealing with backlash from the people who stole the photos.

tx_cupcake Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #42 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelromi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

Please don't let this be another one.

Amen, mcelromi1. Amen.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:12am
post #43 of 92

curiouscakemaker

Quote:
Quote:

My question to the person that posted the question in the first place, is why does it matter?

You seem pretty snippy for a thread that allegedly doesn't involve you. Why does this matter to YOU? icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Is it affecting you selling cakes?

She lives in Nevada and I don't. I started this thread because I am in complete amazement over someone who does such beautiful cakes/work, yet doesn't charge a dime.

I don't make wedding cakes or elaborate cakes like that so I have no clue how long it takes. It does seem like a whole lot of work to go through for free though. Unless it was for a friend or family or something.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm confused, I guess I just don't understand why it would matter what anyone charges for a cake or chooses not to charge for a cake.

Maybe you need to pay a little closer attention to what forum you are on. People discuss the price and cost of cake ALL DAY LONG here. If this bothers and "confuses" you, maybe you need to hit the exit button.

Quote:
Quote:

I haven't been on this site long and

Oh really?

Quote:
Quote:

curiouscakemaker

Three years seems like a pretty long time to me. Keep playing the game curiouscakemaker, with only 5 post. I think it is very funny that you would be so offended by my thread and be so snotty about it.

Quote:
Quote:

I've started reading some posts and I've been frightened by some of the topics and comments...my DH has always said women were brutal when it comes to being nasty to other women...and I have to say, I've seen some of that here.

Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? I came on here and started a thread in amazement over this website and you threw a fit about it. Guilty much? icon_twisted.gif

To the others who said it may be a great way to get your name out there...Well it seems to me that people are always going to expect it to be for free now. That is something she may have a hard time overcoming.
icon_sad.gif

As far as the cakes being hers or not. She does have two different spots. One for her pictures, one for others. If other peoples cakes are listed as being hers then yes that is wrong. I do think she should ask permission before using any cake pic that is not hers on her site.

Jllo6024

Since you are more familiar with Boweens pics, can you check and see if this website has her pic listed as a cake she wants to do or is she saying it is her cake?

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:46am
post #44 of 92

The Pink Rose Delight cake is in the gallery she claims as her cakes.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:44am
post #45 of 92

maybe it's her.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:20am
post #46 of 92

Yeah it really seems so to me. Her opening paragraph I thought she came in here defending herself.

Funny how she says she is new here yet has a joined date of 3 years! I think she has been lurking here and stealing pictures.

Or maybe not.

icon_lol.gif

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:38am
post #47 of 92

After looking at her site and boween's gallery they are not the same person. I think her disclaimer states that she does have other people's pictures in there. HOWEVER I really think she is implying that she has duplicated those cakes..and those are not necessarily hers! Because that picture is boween's cropped. If you look at the pictures in her gallery, they are all different types of pictures..some with foggy border around it etc. I have respect for her becuase she says it is other's pictures and if you have picture on there, she will gladly remove it. I do see how in can be interpreted that those are her actual cakes.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:31am
post #48 of 92

^^ oh. i must've misunderstood then. i thought i was looking at the gallery of the cakes she has made. *confuzzled*

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:26am
post #49 of 92

She has a disclaimer. She did not say all the cakes in her "gallery" are hers. She says "cakes I can easily do". Then she has the "cakes I want to do" which are obviously not hers. This poor girl has been torn a new a$$hole on this site. Some other site recently was caught with pics not her own. Something like cakes by betty? The cakecentral gestapo came out and did all kinds of investigations trying to find out who she really was and such. If someone has your cake up simply ask them to remove it. There is no need to hurt them. Mind your own. Leave them alone.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:33am
post #50 of 92

I make cakes for friends and coworkers darned near free. I just charge them enough to cover my costs (supplies plus a small amount to cover my gas). My family gets free cake. I really need the pratice, so I think of them as my willing victims. I wouldn't dream of setting up a web site though. She might be biting off more than she can chew. Can you imagine all the calls? It would go from fun to a nightmare FAST!

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:39am
post #51 of 92

I haven't had the time to read this whole thread this early morning, however I need to put my $.02 in.

In today's world, graciousness and kindness and giving have been replaced much of the time w/ greed and selfishness. Not to say that cake artists shouldn't be paid for what they are worth or their skills, so please don't stone me for saying so. I am by no means saying that all people are like this! However, I see nothing wrong w/ someone offering their skills for free to couples who really need the help. I'm sure the majority of people contacting her for a "free" cake have a small budget and really appreciate her generosity.

Since I no longer do cake for pay because of the stress of the whole thing, I also do cakes for "free" or cost. I don't believe this makes me a bad person. I get my cake fix and get to see the smile on someone's face for something they couldn't normally afford elsewhere. I'm certainly not taking away any business from anyone w/ the very small # of cakes I choose to do. I believe there's enough business for everyone.

I don't think her intentions were to take away business from those cake artists that do this for a living...I think they were pure. She wants to improve her skills and have an excuse to decorate while doing good for someone. I think it's great!

Iloveweddings Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:05pm
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscakemaker

My question to the person that posted the question in the first place, is why does it matter? Is it affecting you selling cakes? Are you in the same area as this other woman and she's taking business away from your bakery? I'm confused, I guess I just don't understand why it would matter what anyone charges for a cake or chooses not to charge for a cake.

I've started reading some posts and I've been frightened by some of the topics and comments...my DH has always said women were brutal when it comes to being nasty to other women...and I have to say, I've seen some of that here.

Exactly! I highly doubt she is not taking away any business from anyone on this site. Has anyone thought that maybe she is only wanting to get more experience? Not something sinister like you folks love to go on about!

curiouscakemaker, you say you are frightened by topics. There are many more good topics than bad here. The bad ones can get really bad. There is a cakecentral gestapo. When they come out, nothing good happens.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:09pm
post #53 of 92

Well, I think she's talented enough to charge $ for what she does. I don't think she should be undercutting her competition. That's just me. But lucky for me, I'm not in her area! If I was, it would bother me a lot more.

If she's reading this - start charging, girl! You've got the idea. You know what you're doing - and you're qualified!

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:22pm
post #54 of 92

Ilovewedding wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

There is a cakecentral gestapo. When they come out, nothing good happens.

Come on! Sometimes people need to be told that what their doing is WRONG. I see no posts in this thread that actually bashes her for doing it for free, the opposite in fact. BUT, taking photos off the web and posting them on your site IS NOT LEGAL. It doesn't matter that she has a disclamer.

Since October 31, 1988, works no longer need a copyright notice to have copyright protection. This means any image you find on a web page may be copyrighted. The traditional notice, such as "Copyright 1989 XZV Co." or " ©1989 XZV Co." is no longer required. The Copyright act gives the copyright owner the exclusive right to reproduce or modify their work, and to exclude others from doing so. Copying includes copying or saving their image to your hard drive, or copying to other mediums, like scanning a photo from a book and turning it into a JPEG file.
If you take a copyrighted image without permission, and put it on a web page, you are violating the exclusive right of the copyright owner to display his work. (See 17 U.S.C.A. § 106).

In order to put an image on your site you NEED TO HAVE THE PERMISSION of the owner.

I just get so tired of this kind of abuse of photos. Really, mabye the owner of the photo don't want to be on her site. They should not have to ask her to take it down. It should just not be on there!!!

tx_cupcake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:55pm
post #55 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummymummy

I don't think her intentions were to take away business from those cake artists that do this for a living...I think they were pure. She wants to improve her skills and have an excuse to decorate while doing good for someone. I think it's great!

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with you, yummymummy.

I recently heard about a website where you can buy art at a HUGE discount (maybe at cost) from art students, rather than pros. I thought that was such a fantastic idea! Art should be accessible to everyone - not just the super rich. And you know, the people who can afford professional, unique art will pay for it. But, just because I can't afford an original Diako (or whomever) doesn't mean I don't deserve to have beautiful art in my home.

I know it's not exactly the same, but people will always pay for something even when it's free (or cheaper) somewhere else.

Just look at the market for bottled water. icon_biggrin.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm
post #56 of 92

this topic post must have gotten out b/c you can no longer see her cakes on her website. I'm on the fence on this one only b/c I have to think, "What if I lived in Vegas?" I dont so its no big deal for me...just thinking about what others would feel.
I do fully agree with one of the previous poster saying that she could write under each pic (if not her own) original design created by Jane Doe.

Iloveweddings Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:20pm
post #57 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakehelp

Ilovewedding wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Come on! Sometimes people need to be told that what their doing is WRONG.

She probably knows. She knows she has up cakes not her own. Proof, the section of cakes she wants to do. It is illegal copyright...well so is doing Lightning McQueen, Spiderman, Batman, Sleeping Beauty, Dora, Nemo etc. It's just that those are big wigs so people overlook that infringement. (Not to mention that is patent infringement) But if it is a cake a creation of little joe snuffy it is soooooo wrong! "Copyright infringement...copyright infringement", you cry.Give me break. Cast the first stone!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #58 of 92

I don't mean to be a stone-caster, but there is also an issue of protecting customers. Let's say you need a wedding cake and you see these gorgeous pictures. So you order one, and then when you get your cake, it looks very amateurish and looks NOTHING like like your expectation.

I don't know the skill level of the person whose web site this is, so I certainly don't mean to insult them. But one reason to get upset about posting other peoples' photos is that it is false advertising and could lead customers to have a (potentially misleading) set of expectations.

You need to post pictures of your own work.

I (personally) think it's okay to have the 2nd gallery of "cakes I want to do" as long as under EVERY cake, you reiterate that you DID NOT do that cake, and denote WHO DID that cake.

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #59 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakehelp

Ilovewedding wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Come on! Sometimes people need to be told that what their doing is WRONG. I see no posts in this thread that actually bashes her for doing it for free, the opposite in fact. BUT, taking photos off the web and posting them on your site IS NOT LEGAL. It doesn't matter that she has a disclamer.

Since October 31, 1988, works no longer need a copyright notice to have copyright protection. This means any image you find on a web page may be copyrighted. The traditional notice, such as "Copyright 1989 XZV Co." or " ©1989 XZV Co." is no longer required. The Copyright act gives the copyright owner the exclusive right to reproduce or modify their work, and to exclude others from doing so. Copying includes copying or saving their image to your hard drive, or copying to other mediums, like scanning a photo from a book and turning it into a JPEG file.
If you take a copyrighted image without permission, and put it on a web page, you are violating the exclusive right of the copyright owner to display his work. (See 17 U.S.C.A. § 106).

In order to put an image on your site you NEED TO HAVE THE PERMISSION of the owner.

I just get so tired of this kind of abuse of photos. Really, mabye the owner of the photo don't want to be on her site. They should not have to ask her to take it down. It should just not be on there!!!

It works both ways.
Its getting really old and tired with some people on here getting all huffy when it come to their photos that they freely post on the internet for all to see and quoting copyright laws when someone else decides to use them to attract buisness. But why is it any different than you (cakehelp) using copyrighted images on the majority of the cakes in your photo gallery.
I do believe that Winnie, CARS, Batman, Hello Kitty, etc. are copywrite protected and truly doubt that you got permission from each company to use the images on your cakes.

My whole point is that I truly doubt that any one person who makes cakes for hobby or business has never gotten ideas or shown a client, friend or family member a cake from the internet, a magazine, newspaper, television or anywhere else, to help get ideas or designs.
So she posted pictures of cakes she admired and wanted to have a reason to do one day. OMG, lets shoot her. She can still print the photos and show them to people.
I print pictures off the internet and tear out pages from magazine all the time and keep them for inspiration for new things to try and ideas.
Why do you think people put photos in their favorites? Duh! Things they admire or would like to try at some point.

She stated that some were cakes she had done (reproduced), and that others were some that she wanted to do (admired and would like to attempt). And wheter she does them for free or not is no ones business. So I truly and honestly, don't get what the problem is.
No one, no one is getting hurt by what she's doing.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #60 of 92

I just looked at her site, and you can see the pictures.
If anyone has a cake there just email her and she will take it down. Also if you see a members cake on there PM that person and let them know. I assume she's not licensed so she may not know all the laws, hence her disclaimer. I think this should be handled in a civil manner. If she doesn't take down your photos in a timely manner then you can do what you feel neccesary. JMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%