Not Sure I Can Ask This Question But.......

Decorating By gingersoave Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 5:47pm by Carolynlovescake

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:43am
post #1 of 14

Do you have a website for your cake business? If so can you share how you put your site together? Did you hire someone or buy a "dummies" book. I would like to create my own web site just to put my cakes there for my students to take a peek at (I'm a WMI) and who knows, maybe some day I will have a business (after the kiddies are out of college, they are 11 and 12 now, so long ways away!!!)

Thanks for any advice!!!! icon_smile.gif

Ginger

13 replies
tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:53am
post #2 of 14

Anyone can have a website to showcase anything they want! You may want to try freewebs.com. They walk you through how to set it up ( it's easy).

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:58am
post #3 of 14

I did mine on freewebs.com like tcbalgord mentioned. It was super easy, and I was able to purchase my domain name for $20. Unfortunately I don't really like it now icon_lol.gif

gingersoave Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:59am
post #4 of 14

Thank you! I will check that out! I had purchased a book many many years ago and started to create the site but it ended up out in cyberspace somewhere, never to be found!!!! icon_lol.gif

gingersoave Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:00am
post #5 of 14

Can I see your web sites? I won't copy I promise!!!!!

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:23am
post #6 of 14

I use Web Hosting Buzz and pay I think $4.95 a month for it. I got the domain name for free (included in the cost). The website is bakesbysue.com and feel free to take a look. My son-in-law set it up, designed the banner and uploads pictures of the cakes I do.

gingersoave Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:28am
post #7 of 14

Sue, thank your for sharing your site! I checked it out and it's great! Your son-in-law did a great job!

foxymomma521 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:32am
post #8 of 14

www.thecakeryandbakery.com
icon_smile.gif

gingersoave Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:39am
post #9 of 14

foxymomma, love your site, it's so cute and pink!!! Did you do this on your own??? Great cakes!

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:42am
post #10 of 14

I write my own website. I started with freewebs, but now my friend hosts my site.

if you aren't really into web design then you should definitely go with either a site like flickr or shutterfly (which I like better than flickr) or a company like freewebs that will give you a 'canned' site that you can modify.

it takes a lot of time (and some good software) to create your own site from scratch so you should really want to invest in that. (it's not hard it just takes a lot of time)

the next question is whether or not you want to have your own domain name, or if you want to use some of the photo sites.

I really like the shutterfly sites. you get a domain name like yourname.site.shutterly.com and they are so easy and customizeable. I use them for my family website.

foxymomma521 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:46am
post #11 of 14

Freewebs is super easy.... It walks you through it and you just pick the options you want... (colors, prints etc) I'm not very computer savvy so that was a good choice for me icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the compliment, I'm finally getting to a point where I don't focus on all the flaws icon_smile.gif

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:04pm
post #12 of 14

My brother and sister-in-law created my site and I use Yahoo as my domain. www.rosepetalscakery.com

If you want to start out simple, try posting a blog. That is really easy and free. I did mine through blogger.com. You can access my blog through my website and check it out. It's so great because every time I complete an order, I just upload my pics to my blog and my clients can see everything I've done. I'm not a computer wiz by any means and I was able to figure out making a blog through blogger. Pretty self explanatory. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:12pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks! I am really pleased with it. I know my way around a computer but web sites were beyond me. I sent my sil several different web hosting sites and he picked the one I use. Said it gave me the most bang for my buck. I haven't a clue how to set it up and leave all that to him.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 14

I'm in the process of setting up my WMI site.

Please PM me your e-mail address and as soon as I have it up I'll send it to you.

I "hope" I have time this week to finish it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%