Not The Best Advice....

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm by martmarg

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 12

for people wanting to start a cake biz.

I know that some states license in home bakeries, but even then you still have some guidelines and hoops to jump through. This article says nothing of that, it just goes on and on about how easy and rewarding a home (emphasize on home )based cake biz is for a stay-at-home mom.

I think it is misleading and very poor advice, it leaves the reader thinking all they have to do is start making cakes and they will find instant success.

Did I read it wrong or is it as poorly researched and written as I think?

http://www.bizymoms.com/id/ideas/Decorating.html

11 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 12

And let me add that I know with a little bit of research anyone who wants to start a home based food business will discover itâs not this easy.
It just sets the reader up for a lot of disappointment when they find out that they cannot (in most states) operate a legal cake business from their home.
I remember the day I found out and it was heart breaking.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 12

I agree, it is misleading. Aside from the steps to becoming legal...."give them their own set of ingredients and dough and let them make their own mess without disturbing you....then you can train them to clean up with you..." Just ask the numerous mothers of young children on this site alone who ponder the age-old question..."How can I manage a home-based cake decorating business while raising young children ????"

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 12

Yeah, I'm with you - its a set up for disappointment. They do say to research it more, but also do it at home whenever and hey get your kids into the mix too. really?

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 12

"give them their own set of ingredients...." My question is WHERE do you give them their own set of ingredients? My kitchen is barely big enough for my work, let alone my 4yr olds mess!

And I had to laugh at the "teach them to clean up". If by cleaning up, they mean having the kids lick the floors, then mine are taught, lol.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 12

I'm trying to get legal before I set up shop too. I agree, there is sooooo much more to having a cake decorating/baking business than just simply "baking cakes." I'm trying to get a commercial-approved kitchen set up in my basement. It's going to be lots of work and lots of money, but I hope I'll be able to make it a success. Still, I won't sell one cake until I'm legal, so I'm hoping to get it finished, approved, and going asap!

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 12

I love how that article says to give your kids their own ingredients and let them help you and a paragraph down it says don't mix business with family obligations. Ummm....so what do I do here? icon_biggrin.gif I am in the process of starting a home cake business and I can tell you first hand just because it is in my home does not make it "a piece of cake". I've spent more time on Excel sheets, budgets, and websites than I do at my full time job. I think this article is very misleading and it will get people's hopes up unnecessarily. There is a big difference between being a phenomenal cake decorator and knowing how to effectively run a business, home-based or not.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 12

I agree it's very misleading. Seems like they would have done more research on the subject before writing a book. geezzzzz icon_evil.gif

taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 12

I agree that the article is misleading. It also seems to infer that you'll start out making major profits from this venture. As someone who is constantly asked by friends & relatives when I'll be starting my own cake business, I've done the math and realize that there is no way I could make a profit in the early years of a business. I simply haven't practiced enough to charge top dollar for my cakes - they're nowhere near perfect - and I would have no name recognition or reputation on which to draw. My day job as a tax preparer has demonstrated the reality that very few small businesses make a profit in the first few years. Obviously, some beat the odds, but it's not something I would want to count on.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 12

Does anyone see a place to contact them? I'd love to let them know just how "easy" it all is.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 12

I'm lucky that home baking is legal here in PA, and I'm licensed and insured...one of the guidelines though is no children in the kitchen while doing the commercial baking. No problems there! LOL! I have four little boys, three of them old enough to "help"...er....FIGHT....when they all want to do the same thing at once!

I don't have a problem training them cakes, but it will be when they are old enough to learn they don't have to lick their fingers every thirty seconds...which means...oh about high school. haha.

Anyway I find a gate in the kitchen door works pretty good, and a mean "get out" if the gate doesn't work. icon_biggrin.gif I never got these sweet little "being a mom letting your kids bake" kind of stuff. Yeah if you have an only child maybe, but to get my crew in and baking, I have to have nerves of steel! And be in the mood to clean up a huge mess....

I didn't read the article, but also...some people just don't "have it". I mean, if they are making it sound easy, well, that's just not the case. I know people who have tried cake decorating and just can't even get the icing to squeeze out evenly much less make a rose or carve a shape.

I'm thankful I can have this as a little side job ("side" is about all it is, still!) but I know its not for everybody. If it were, we'd all be going out of business cuz everybody could make their own cakes!

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 12

This is beside the point.... but i thought my kid was the only one who licked the floor. Now i don't feel as bad. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%