The Cake Just Cracked! Can I Fix It?!!!??!!!

Decorating By kelsiedelizzle Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 12:23am by woodthi32

kelsiedelizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelsiedelizzle Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 6

I am FREAKING OUT because I just made this gorgeous 9" white cake and now there's a big crack on the top of the layer and the cake is sagging on that side and this cake is for a friend for tomorrow and I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!

Any help?

5 replies
kelsiedelizzle Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:03am
post #2 of 6

It's got 4 layers and it's 4" high and all I have is buttercream-- crumb coat at this point.
The crack is on one side of the cake on one of the top 2 layers. It's sagging like CRAZY and I think I need to go buy some more cake mix (it's an extender recipe) but I just want to see if I can repair the damage first. It was such a beautiful cake and it smells amazing-- I don't want it to go to waste if it can be salvaged.

But if it can't, please let me know.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:07am
post #3 of 6

why is it cracking?? were the layers level when you stacked them? If not, was there enough buttercream/filling in between to make up for it? sounds like maybe the humps are out to get you. worst case, pull the layers back apart, re-level, and re-ice.

kelsiedelizzle Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:10am
post #4 of 6

These were the flattest layers that I've had in a looong time but maybe they're still not flat enough.

I'll try to"unlayer" and relayer it. if not, i guess it's back to kroger...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:19am
post #5 of 6

You can always cut them to make them perfectly level. Filling will onyl do so much before it turns on you.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:23am
post #6 of 6

If you thought they were flat, the probably were not the cause of the offending crevice. hmmmmm. Did the cake feel particularly delicate to you, like possible you made a mistake in the recipe? Did you stack them cold, and then it cracked as it settled into the temperature? di you have any overhang on your top layer. Sometimes, for some reason, my layers don't end up EXACTLY the same size, and I have to trim..........I just can't figure this out..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%