Grandmother/sister Birthday...help!

Decorating By Reedsmomma Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 2:10am by TC123

Reedsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reedsmomma Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 2

I am doing a cake for my friend next week and I need some help with ideas. She's doing a spa day with her mom, sister & grandma, so it's just a small cake (I'll probably do a 6" round). It her grandmother & sister's birthday...how do I do something that will be as attractive to a 70 year old as it is to a trendy-type 30 year old? I thought about making a gumpaste shoe or something cute like that, but I'm not the most experienced, so I don't know how it would turn out...

So I guess what I'm saying is I need an idea that is not SUPER time consuming but will make a big statement! Help, please!

TIA

1 reply
TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #2 of 2

Hi! I do like the gumpaste shoe idea! But if you're not up for it, then how about...

For Mother's Day years ago I did an 8" round with non-crusting buttercream. It had a fancy border around the bottom. But around the rest of the cake I outlined flower petals and leaves in buttercream and filled them in with colored piping gel. Each petal had 2 shades (pink/purple) and I "blended" them in the middle by gently brushing them together. It was from something I saw in ACD. [It is not in my photos, though. Sorry. I'll see if I can scan it and attach it in a separate post. I don't have my cake album with me right now, though.]

Another idea would be to do a small gumpaste bouquet of roses and rose buds. You wouldn't have to do much else with the cake then. Cake can be covered in a crusting buttercream or fondant. That I think would be special for both of them.

HTH!... I look forward to seeing what you do for this special occasion! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%