Look What I Found-Wilton Fondant Petition

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 7:15pm by Carolynlovescake

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 56

I was looking for info about the Wilton vanilla I bought that smells spoiled, and I came across this instead:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/wiltons_fondant_tastes_nasty/index.html

55 replies
rdiesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdiesing Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 56

You have to PAY to sign it??? No thanks.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdiesing

You have to PAY to sign it??? No thanks.

where did you see that? i was looking at the page and didn't see such.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 56

No, you don't have to pay to sign it. I just signed it and when it went to that donation screen, I clicked on the back button icon_biggrin.gif

Actually I think your signature went on there too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 56

After you fill it in, it asks for a donation, but it's not required. Your signature is recorded BEFORE you decide to donate or not.

rdiesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdiesing Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 56

Ok, got it. Thanks!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 56

I just dont get it. Yes the taste isnt that great! But would you make a petition for McDonalds because you dont like the taste of thier burgers?
If you dont like it then dont buy it! I am sure we all do this with one thing or another simply buy a differnt brand!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Quote:

because they refuse to change the flavor of their fondant, despite the numerous complaints they recieve of its bad taste.

If Wilton hadn't figured this out by now, there's no help for them! icon_surprised.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 56

Yea, maybe they will change it if they get enough complaints.

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 56

I'm with psurrette.
If you don't like it, don't use it. Why nag Wilton when you have so many other choice. Plus you can always make your own. icon_confused.gif

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

I just dont get it. Yes the taste isnt that great! But would you make a petition for McDonalds because you dont like the taste of thier burgers?
If you dont like it then dont buy it! I am sure we all do this with one thing or another simply buy a differnt brand!

I think it's the fact that Wilton is so easy for consumers to find, they're hoping it will cause them to take action. They sell it everywhere, Wal-Mart even carries it. Many people have to special order the different brand. I know I would find it much easier to buy fondant locally, than have to special order it.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 56

For those who ask why do a petition when we can choose simply not to purchase the product, I offer this. Some of us have no choice of fondant because there's simply nothing else in our geographic area and purchasing fondant online can be expensive when you get the shipping figured in. Fondant is a pretty heavy product to ship. When we need fondant for emergencies and Wilton is all that's available we DON'T have a choice. There's not always time to make MMF and let it sit a couple days so it's much more workable. Wilton works so hard to promote classes and advocates using all of THEIR products while taking those classes so, again, no choice but to use their product.

For the good of their customers they should strive to make the best possible product and theirs clearly is the last on most bakers' lists when it comes to fondant.

mcelromi1 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

For those who ask why do a petition when we can choose simply not to purchase the product, I offer this. Some of us have no choice of fondant because there's simply nothing else in our geographic area and purchasing fondant online can be expensive when you get the shipping figured in. Fondant is a pretty heavy product to ship. When we need fondant for emergencies and Wilton is all that's available we DON'T have a choice. There's not always time to make MMF and let it sit a couple days so it's much more workable. Wilton works so hard to promote classes and advocates using all of THEIR products while taking those classes so, again, no choice but to use their product.

For the good of their customers they should strive to make the best possible product and theirs clearly is the last on most bakers' lists when it comes to fondant.

None of that is Wiltons responsibility or problem.
And as far as the classes go, of course their going to promote their product for their classes, but it's your choice to continue using it or not. Not their responsibility to please everyone.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyoung5

. . . They sell it everywhere, Wal-Mart even carries it. Many people have to special order the different brand. I know I would find it much easier to buy fondant locally, than have to special order it.

Someone must be buying it if they're selling it everywhere. I've never seen it on clearance anywhere. I'm lucky enough to have a choice to buy something else - and I do.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:00pm
post #15 of 56

I agree - they don't have to please everyone...but it's apparent they're pleasing NO ONE with this particular product.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And as far as the classes go, of course their going to promote their product for their classes, but it's your choice to continue using it or not. Not their responsibility to please everyone.[/quote]

Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm
post #16 of 56

I agree the taste is HORRIBLE. And some do have a choice but in the tiny town that I live in with a Brookshires only that doesn't sell it and a WalMart about 25 minutes away and that is all they sell, yea you have to buy it. I would make my own, but I only have the hand mixer. And I blew one of those up just "trying" to make the fondant. I do everything I possibly can in the form of buttercream. icon_redface.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:45pm
post #17 of 56

There are also enough people using it for their various reasons that it gives fondant in general a bad name which is a pain for us decorators who then have to educate our clients. So if Wilton was better, it would help us all out.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #18 of 56

My guess is that Wilton won't change their recipe because their sales aren't suffering. They see no need to spend their profits on R&D (research & development) to come up with something else. I live in a VERY rural area and Wilton's the only fondant available. I don't like the taste (no matter WHAT I add to it), so I either make my own or drive 2.5 hours to purchase Satin Ice ~ or I order it on line.

It's too bad that everyone who doesn't like it can't just not buy it. I bet that'll get them to change their formula! But as long as sales are good, I can't see them changing their recipe (even though I'd hope to be wrong about that for all of you who wish they'd improve their product). JMHO icon_smile.gif

I'll be curiously watching to see if and how they address this in the future. icon_razz.gif

Have a great weekend everyone!

[edited for typos!]

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #19 of 56

Don't waste your time - Wilton has been e-mailed thousands of times in the past regarding the taste and texture of their rolled fondant. They ignore the general public, because they know that in many areas, Wilton is all there is. Unless someone who lives in a remote or rural area wants to pay for shipping, they are stuck with Wilton from the crafts stores.

They respond by telling you that they are working on a new formula. And they've been saying it for the 4 years in which I have been back into cake deco.

It's all a best cost decision. I worked in Corporate America for years, for a couple of major corporations, and I could write a book on stupid decisions made by management.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:31pm
post #20 of 56

I don't understand all this "have to buy it." You don't have to do anything.

All I can get locally (well, found a shop 45 minutes away that sells Satin Ice and I used to happily drive that to get SI) is Wilton, but I refuse to buy it. I called SI and found a local retailer (who I didn't even know existed until I did some leg work) and now order it online. If I'm taking money for something, then I'm not going to give someone a product that doesn't taste good. Not good for repeat customers.

If you really wanted to, you could find an alternative. Heck, make Michele Foster's fondant because it's good for months all wrapped up. You always have a choice.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #21 of 56

Yes, I agree with you on your statements. There are alternatives. I have an account with Satin Ice, and buy directly from them, because the only other alternative around here literally is Wilton RF.

But I have read so very many times where members are saying "All we have around here is Wilton."

I can't answer for them. Maybe it's a comfort zone thing. Perhaps they're squeamish about ordering online.

The best I can do is accept their word and offer suggestions.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

psurrette Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:43am
post #22 of 56

I dont like the taste of any fondant! However I much prefer to work with Wiltons fondant because it hold sit shape and it dries faster. I only use fondant for cake accents and tell my customers that its not the best tasting in the world so eat it if you want or throw it away. I gave a customer a taste of satin ice for a tasting this week and she said ewww thats gross. As a former Wilton instructor they do listen to what we have to say and what customers have to say its just thier choice not to change the flavor. Sign the petition if you want but rather than that just dont buy it and plan ahead!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #23 of 56

Guys, it's the "captured audience" syndrome.

The only thing available is wilton brand fondant, so those who have no other option have to buy it, so wilton says, "what's the problem? people are buying it."

You know that commercial where everything in the grocery is cheerios? That's all the store sells .... that's all the folks can buy .... so cheerios says, "see? everyone is buying OUR stuff! it MUST be great!"

Our local newspaper changes the format of their TV guide periodically. This last time is terrible! What does the paper say in their editorial? That when they make changes, "....everyone adjusts and accepts it" (so what's the problem? icon_confused.gif ) We adjust???? WE HAVE NO CHOICE! IT'S THE ONLY NEWSPAPER TV GUIDE!

Henry Ford said you could order a Model T in any color you want as long as it was black. Then he stands up and says "we only offer black because that's all anyone orders." icon_confused.gif

(edited for typos)

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:51am
post #24 of 56

That's a really old petition. It was on here about a year ago. Someone named Penguin something started it. There are a couple threads about it.

psurrette Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:51am
post #25 of 56

I think our model T is green..................... hmm have to look at it again just to make sure

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:02am
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelromi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

And as far as the classes go, of course their going to promote their product for their classes, but it's your choice to continue using it or not. Not their responsibility to please everyone.

I think this petition is a way of letting the know that it is their problem. I promise you, if their fondant tasted better, they would sell more of it. Period.
Now, I fail to see, really, what your problem is with some people asking them to.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:20am
post #27 of 56

I agree Wilton is all I can get here, and I only use it for add ons, wouldn't feed it to my dog. I ran to sign the petition. I have to have a red bow for a cake in two weeks so I orderd 5 pounds of satin ice to get the red I needed. Well I got it on sale for 17.00 and I had pay 11.00 shipping. Wonder why some choose to use Wilton the ONLY thing around. If I could get the right red so would of I. Since no one will be eating the bow. Some of us are just plain stuck trying to get the good stuff at affordable prices. icon_cry.gif

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:27am
post #28 of 56

I bought Wilton fondant ONCE. I use it only for practice to hone my skills. I won't put my reputation at stake by putting it on anything I make for anyone else. On my cakes its buttercream, Michelle Fosters fondant or MMF depending on the taste buds I am making it for.

mcelromi1 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:27am
post #29 of 56

for those who say that it's the only thing available in their area, instead of asking Wilton to change what their doing,( because regardless of what we think, it must be working for them or they wouldn't keep producing it) why don't they ask their local retailer to start offering it or hound the makers of the fondant of choice to make it more readily available. Wilton did what they had to do to get their products in Walmart, Michaels, etc. so why can't the others.

What did people do before Wilton teamed up with Walmart?

rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #30 of 56

Wow.. Can I start a petition to keep all the haters out of cake central? haha

Seriously though, if people want to sign the petition, let them do it. It's not hurting anyone

icon_smile.gif

(I also agree with you mcelromi1. I doubt a petition (no matter what it is for) ever works. If it's possible, I think people might be more successful talking with the people who allow wilton fondant in their stores.) thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%