Cupcake Wedding Cake Tomorrow! Help Now!

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 4:28pm by Cakebelle

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 15

Hey guys! I have 80 wedding cupcakes & a 6" for the top tier. How in the world do I transport the cupcakes without them falling over? It may sound completely silly, but I've never transported them before. I have a full sheet cardboard box I was thinking of placing them in? What do you think? Will they shift? I have plenty of room in my SUV for the box, but I wondered how it would do in the box. Help me out?

14 replies
nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 15

Don't know what you have close to you, but they make an insert for putting into your cardboard boxes to hold cupcakes. A local bakery supply or cake supply store may have. To late now, but you can order several places on line too. Also I was at target the other day and they
have a cupcake case that holds about 36 cupcakes for transporting. You'' probably eat up all your profits by purhcasing, think for around $25 each, but you'll be set for situations in the future. good luck,

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 15

Hi,
When I have done cupcakes, I've transported them in large plastic boxes and they've been fine. Obviously make sure that they are placed right up to one another otherwise they will slide around. I think there was a thread on here a week or so ago where someone clever had made a transport box for them. You can buy ready made transport boxes but they are very expensive!
HTH
Jenny

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 15

I put a dot of bc on the bottom of my cupcakes to keep them in place in their box.

Check out this link:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-586286-0.html

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 15

I had 50 in a box and I hot glued small plastic cups to the cardboard before putting into box. They kept all cuppies safe. There is a thread somewhere about the "ghetto fabulous" cupcake holder.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 15

If your cupcakes are decorated with buttercream, I am sure that you can freeeze them before transporting them. That way they hold their shape. You might want to pm Antonia74 a fabulous CCer who is really great about answering cupcake related questions.

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 15

I've also put them in the big sheet alluminum pans that you throw away. I had an 100 cupcakes for an engagement party and I used about 3 pans. They all made it there in one piece.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 15

As long as you fit them snugly (all right next to each other, filling in any wriggle room with crumpled paper towel pieces) into a flat box you'll be fine. I transported 100 cuppies 200 miles that way and they made it through perfectly!
Good luck!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 15

You can also use the no-skid mats underneath to help with shifting around in the back of your car. Helps keep them more stable, too.

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 15

THANKS YOU GUYS! I'll let you know how they turn out! If anyone else has great ideas....keep them coming

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 15

Somewhere (and it may have been in the ghetto fabulous carrier thread I linked above), I read about making one from foil. Someone had taken an inverted cupcake pan and covered that with foil. Then when you take the foil off, voila...a cupcake holder. I have to travel with 100 in Sept. so I may try this then.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:40pm
post #12 of 15

this wouldn't work for you this time around but brenmar company sells cupcake containers like the grocery store uses. I use them all the time. I'm on my second box actually and I think they come in quantities of 500... I place the cupcakes in the containers once they've cooled in the pan for a few minutes and if I'm just doing a swirl on top, I'll decorate them without even taking them out of the container again. very convenient and the box them come in isn't too large either so it's easy to store. customers always like them because they have a way to store the leftovers easily as well.
http://www.brenmarco.com/supermarket/SUPERMARKET%20LARGE%20PAGES/cupcakecont.htm

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:41pm
post #13 of 15

i hope you have everything worked out.

i started the DIY ghetto fab cupcake courier thread. thanks for linking to it! icon_smile.gif

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm
post #14 of 15

I agree with Stephaniescakes, the cupcake containers like the grocery stores use are awesome. I actually buy mine from my local Meijer store. They charge me $1 for each 12 cup holder. (Too much if you ask me)

They're great, tons of head room for the cupcakes and they can be stacked. No worry about crushing or anything.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:28pm
post #15 of 15

I once had to transport 400 cupcakes to a wedding show too! I just bought the cheap aluminium cupcake pans- the ones you get at grocery stores and glued those to half-sheet size boxes, put the decorated cuppies in them. Worked perfectly!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%