International "translations" Of Common Used Terms

Decorating By PatrysV Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm by PinkZiab

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm
post #31 of 39

Measurements are still tricky even with scales. I tried to make a treacle tart, and something was way off in the recipe. I would love to try again though. I love the taste of Lyle's Golden suryp. For those unfamiliar, it's a dessert that Harry Potter eats at Hogwarts.

Jo

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #32 of 39

Hi Jo, I found this website which might help with conversions
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart2.html

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:45pm
post #33 of 39

Just wanted to ask about the jello = jelly??? I don't think so!

Jello is a name brand for flavored gelatin and pudding mix. Jelly would be fruit preserves you spread as a filling or on toast. I sure wouldn't put Jello gelatin as a filling! icon_lol.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

Heavy cream is the same as whipping cream, or maybe 'slagroom' in S Africa.

Actually, it's not the same as whipping cream, it has a higher fat content which is usually important for the process it is being used for. Double cream is the UK equivalent, you can't actually buy it here unless you go to Sligro etc!

Light cream: fat content between 18-30%, also known as coffee cream. Light cream will not whip.

Whipping cream: made specifically for whipping, contains 30-36% milk fat. Often contains stabilizers and emulsifiers to ensure it keeps and holds its form when being whipped.

Heavy cream: also called heavy whipping cream, has a fat content between 36-40%.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #35 of 39

Hi Jodie,

Jelly in the Uk = Jello in the US. Jelly in the US = Jam in the UK.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Just wanted to ask about the jello = jelly??? I don't think so!

Jello is a name brand for flavored gelatin and pudding mix. Jelly would be fruit preserves you spread as a filling or on toast. I sure wouldn't put Jello gelatin as a filling! icon_lol.gif

US term = UK term

Jelly = Jam/Preserves
Jello = Jelly
Instant Pudding = Angel Delight type dessert
Cooked pudding = Blamange/custard type dessert

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #37 of 39

Cakewiz...if I ever get to come to the UK, that will sure be good to know! icon_biggrin.gif

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:15pm
post #38 of 39

Cakewiz... Thanks for the link. I looked at some of the recipes and they are pretty much like the one that I made. Maybe the problem is that I've never seen a Treacle tart, only read, so maybe it doesn't look like what I think it should. A 9" pastry shell filled with only 2 Tbsp of bread crumbs, thats not even enough to cover it. Will have to keep looking in to this.

Jo

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #39 of 39

I have an extensive list of common baking ingredients amounts and their metric weight equivalents at home. I'll see if I can scan it or get it typed up and will post it here as soon as I can.

I only bake by metric weight myself, because it's more accurate (and it's basically the industry standard for pastry chefs anyway, so I'm used to it), so I have been working on converting all of my old family recipes and whatnot and tweaking them once I do. It's a LOT of work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%