I Will Never Never Ever Do This Again... Long Vent!

Decorating By kmoores Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 2:20am by MamaBerry

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 81

O.K. so I get a call for a bride last Wednesday frantic about her wedding on Saturday who forgot to order her cake - had it picked out for months - just forgot to order it!! icon_surprised.gif WTF Isn't the wedding cake just as important as the dress????? My gut is telling me "DON'T do it" my brain is saying you've got nothing else on your plate go for it - I listened to my brain icon_rolleyes.gif big mistake!! I tell her to come by and we'll discuss her cake. She comes by with a picture of a cake - which by the way was very simple - fondant and ribbon, 4 tiered square cake. No Problem I said what flavor? Thank god it was vanilla, how many people are there going to be at the wedding - 160 again NP, colors? Hot Pink. Flowers? Yes, Hot Pink Roses. Filling? Just buttercream. Oh and piping!!! Ya know the whole spiel. And I gave her the price $500 - which is usually due 7 days in advance of the wedding!! For obvious reasons it couldn't be done in this situation.

I spend 3 days working on this cake, in the sweltering heat and humidity, I might add dealing with a bride who really didn't care - she was going to bring me the ribbon and payment on Friday - guess what she didn't! I ran out of Satin Ice and had to make my own fondant on Friday morning!

So I get up Saturday morning and bee line it to Walmart to get the ribbon, I send my hubby to the florist to get the flowers, he came home with 6!!! This is for the topper and on the cake - I franticly call the florist (who I have a wonderful working relationship with) and have her make a topper and add it the brides floral order. I finish the cake and get it delivered. No problems there.

Now I should mention that the Decorator, the Florist, and myself are all upset with the bride at this point - she didn't pay the florist on time (supposed to pay 2 days in advance), the decorator had trouble with her too - missing appointments, late, not returning calls etc....

I get home from camping on Sunday and get a call from the Bride saying the cake was exactly what she wanted

Quote:
Quote:

Krista, the cake was out of this world!

taken from her email to me after and that she'll be over later that night to pay me. No problem - I wait around all night for her to show up and finally call her at 10:30pm to see what happened - and to warn her of the porcupine on my patio (that's another story) She says she had trouble getting her kids to bed (I understand I have 2 young ones too) and she would have her MIL bring it over Monday morning!

WELLLLL - guess what - the MIL didn't show up either. I try calling her and left messages finally I get her today. She's just rude when I ask her about the payment - telling me that it was a bit expensive and she had to talk to her DIL before she paid me - AND did the bride know about the price before she ordered the cake???? WTF icon_mad.gif She only gave me 3 days notice - so obviously I'm gonna charge more than my regular per slice price and yes she did know. At this point I'm just angry and disappointed - does she realize that that it's a lot of work and the bride was far from organized and I put a lot of money and time into it and icon_cry.gif

Anyway here's a pic of the cake that I wish I never did icon_sad.gif
LL

80 replies
cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 81

That is beautiful. Did you finally get paid?

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 81

IhateherIhopeshegetsconstipation.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 81

Gorgeous cake. icon_smile.gif

Think you just had an "experience"....

Experience being what you get when you DON'T get what you wanted. icon_sad.gif

Unfortunately, once the bride got what she wanted (without payment) the leverage you and the other vendors had disappeared.

You're were very generous to a a bride who turned out to be an ungrateful, and possibly despicable and unscrupulous human being.

Guess in the future, all last minute orders will have to be "Cash Upfront".....

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

icon_lol.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 81

Wow....sounds like MIL might be a problem for this girl too in the future!!

Sorry this happened to you. I guess you know now why we have those "gut feelings" huh?

Did you ever get paid??? Keep us updated!

icon_wink.gif

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 81
Quote:

. . . love your simple solutions . . . icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 81

Did you have a contract? Or at least an email string? I'd be on my way to small claims court. icon_mad.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 81

Oh ouch. sorry that happened! Small claims court anyone?

What a loser. I agree with chutzpah.

Lovely, lovely, lovely cake!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 81
Quote:

ROTFLMAO! This is perfect! Does anyone watch that show 'Weeds' on Showtime? Where the Mom was a total witch saying her 12 year old was fat and then found her hidden stash of chocolate so she switched it out with Ex-Lax? (terrible incident followed at the school.....)

Anyway, daughter gets revenge by swapping Mom's stash of Trim-Spa with Imodium?

Holy cow!! Funniest thing I have seen in a darn long time....... sorry to OP about her problem. I am dumbfounded at this woman who is such a cheap butthead after you saved her booty.....karma baby, karma........

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 81

Sorry to hear about this. I tell my brides, no money, no cake.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 81

Actually, thought about it a second, and I bet you $10 that she had another baker who she never paid a deposit, and finally got dumped. So she started looking for SOMEONE who she could get it for free from.

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Actually, thought about it a second, and I bet you $10 that she had another baker who she never paid a deposit, and finally got dumped. So she started looking for SOMEONE who she could get it for free from.

Totally agree with summernoelle

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #14 of 81
Quote:

Yup, you are probably right. There's no way that she "forgot" to order the cake - c'mon.

Do you usually have a signed contract, or anything stating when payment is due? I, personally, wouldn't have even started making anything until I had the payment up front. As soon as I figured out how much it would cost to make, and the bride knew - I would have required it on the spot, or next day the latest. I wouldn't have done anything before then. Don't you read all about this on CC?! LOL Well, I guess you learned the hard way.

I hope you get paid soon! Or I'd be going to small claims court as well!

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #15 of 81

Ouch! What a deadbeat. I'm with chutzpah!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #16 of 81
Quote:

I agree, that sound too fishy, sorry you went through that, wedding cakes are expensive to make let alone to just whip one up out of the blue like thats! Look on the brite side, your cake is gorgeous and will be a great addition to your portfolio

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #17 of 81

First instincts are always the right ones. Like the Force, they must be trusted.

Lesson learned.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #18 of 81

So sorry this happened. You made a beautiful cake for them.

Karma will do it's karma thing.

Does anyone have a last minute order "special contract"

I am thinking... within 1 or 2 weeks specially for weddings there should be a special contract. Pay either 75% to 100% at time of order and balance before cake is delivered. No money no cake that is for sure. We see so many of these. Everyone thinks that wont happen to them but it does, there are too many people out there just waiting to use and abuse and they are hiding being these nice manners. ....

Hope you get payment soon.

Good Luck.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #19 of 81

I tend to agree that her other cake decorator dropped her like a hot 'tater when she received no deposit.

I hope you get paid, but it's not looking good.

As far as the MIL, I would "kindly" explain to her that she came to you 3 days before the wedding and placed the order. It was discussed, and I hope you had the bride sign SOMETHING as proof. I would also consider small claims court, there is a principal involved here.

This is a good lesson for all of us, I rarely get a deposit on any cakes I do, except for wedding cakes, and haven't had any problems getting payment (except from deadbeat friends/family, but that's another story!).

Good luck and definitely let us know what happens. I would also consider talking to the husband. Just an idea, sounds like the MIL is a byatch.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #20 of 81

Cash upfront for all last minute orders! My contract says that I need the balance 2 weeks prior to the wedding or I don't start baking. We all have to live and learn. Your cake was very pretty by the way!

DoubleA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleA Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #21 of 81

Your cake is so beautiful! I'm afraid that everyone else is correct...small claims on this one. Too many people have stiffed me before...I don't do it any more. No money, nocake!

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #22 of 81

First, it's none of the MIL's business.
Second, (in sing-song voice) call Judge Judy!!!
Really, if she doesn't pay you, call her and tell her you will be contacting small claims court and to expect to be served in the near future! That should be enough to get her hinny to you with payment (don't we all quake in our boots when faced with legal issues). keep records of when you contacted her for payments and all that transpired, just in case you do need to go there. But you need to get payment one way or the other.
Good luck, that was a beautiful cake.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #23 of 81

so sorry this happened to you.

I would be KNOCKING on her door telling her you aren't leaving until you have cash in your hand. JMO icon_biggrin.gif

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #24 of 81

If that's the way she treats people who do nice things for her then she probably won't be married very long.....Judge Judy for you!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:30pm
post #25 of 81

Your cake is really beautiful, so sorry this happened to you. Well you live and you learn. $ up front or no cake.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm
post #26 of 81

Beautiful cake....but the question of the hour is "Did u get paid"?

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #27 of 81

Beautiful cake!

I like the idea of No cash? No cake! for I-forgot-to-order-my-cake orders.

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #28 of 81

OMG! what a terrible story. Im so sorry that happend to you. some people are a complete waste of space. Im hoping she finally paid you. by the way your cake is BEAUTIFUL.

wandapoo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandapoo75 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #29 of 81

So sorry this happened to you. Sometimes our compassionate hearts get in the way of our business sense, eh?
I had someone cancel a birthday cake on me a couple weeks ago. I couldn't get ahold of her to confirm details, so I start baking cake, right? The night before, I finally get her on the phone, and she says, "oh, my dad's stepmother was going to do the cake. I'm sorry, we must've had a miscommunication..." Yeah, miscommunication like I didn't get even a deposit for her sorry cake. Luckily, my SIL's b-day was that weekend, and she got one of the prettiest cakes I've ever done out of the deal. What goes around comes around.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #30 of 81

btw, the cake was beautiful! I hope you get paid...please give us an update! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%