How Much Does It Cost You To Make A Cake...

Business By peg818 Updated 1 Dec 2014 , 9:22pm by burger73

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:17pm
post #31 of 35

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I do not  find cake ingredients to be cheap at all.....Hmmm

niniel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niniel1 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:02pm
post #32 of 35

I'm a hobby baker so not charging for my cakes. I wouldn't really know where to start with pricing, at the minute pretty much every cake I do is something different so I end up needing to buy a new piece of kit, or have to factor the cost of fixing my mistakes. It also varies depending on whether I dye my own fondant or buy pre-coloured (which I will do sometimes for very dark colours like navy or black). A kilo of white fondant costs me around £2.20 ($3.40) but a kilo of pre-dyed fondant will be more like £10/$15. Ganache is much more expensive than buttercream (again around $15 to cover a three layer 9" tier), then there are cake boards, boxes, ribbons etc to buy. The cheapest 9" cake I can make (without labour costs, utilities  etc) is probably about £20 ($31), if I was to charge for it I would probably charge around £35-£40 ($60) but that's not based on anything scientific! just what I think the market here would allow. 

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:54pm
post #33 of 35

I like this thread!  It costs me about $24 in ingredients to make a SMBC filled and covered 8" cake.  Not including boards, boxes, misc supplies, etc.  

MeadowsweetCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeadowsweetCake Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 11:49am
post #34 of 35

Hi ericaann,

I was wondering if you could post that spreadsheet you use to calculate the costs of making the cake and labor and how much you should charge.

Thank you,

MeadowsweetCakes

burger73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burger73 Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 9:22pm
post #35 of 35

A

Original message sent by ericaann79

You can't really do it that way...I have a spreadsheet I use, I will attach to this reply. It factors in my grocery cost and my hourly cost. Then it calculates what I should charge. If I don't charge the full amount I use the second summary to find out what I made per hour...let me know if you have ?'s.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%