My First Big Dissappointment

Decorating By BabyBear3 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm by BabyBear3

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 7

This isn't really a cake disaster but it's more of a situational disaster. A friend of mine (that I work with) asked me to do her sisters wedding cake. I had agreed and we had talked through email about what she wanted and the price. Well come to find out today that she went to publix and ordered her wedding cake through them without telling me anything. My friend and I were talking on the phone and she mentioned somehting about me not doing the cake and I stopped in my tracks and was like "what?!?!?". Aparently her sister never called me or emailed me like she was supposed to! So, I have already bought $150 worth of materials to do this dang cake and now I"m not even doing the cake!

Needless to say, I emailed her sister and explained my frustration in a very professional way. But basically, I"m out $150 and probably will not be getting any compensation for it.

Lesson Learned: make sure you have some sort of deposit and/or contract that doesn't let something like this happen again.

6 replies
Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:02am
post #2 of 7

icon_surprised.gif That is terrible! I would be so mad!!!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:31am
post #3 of 7

sometimes the hardest lessons to learn are the ones that came at the biggest price to us...i hate that this happened, but i bet it's a fast and firm rule in your book now that you must accept a timely deposit before you even lift a finger on this cake.

keep your chin up. cut some corners in other places, and before you know it, another order will come along that will let you recoup your costs!

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #4 of 7

I bet another cake will come your way very soon. I am glad you explained your losses to the would-be client. She needs to know that she didn't handle this very well at all. Hang in there...so sorry this happened.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:19am
post #5 of 7

Sorry this happened to you....

Sounds like you learned from it though...which is the most important thing.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:38am
post #6 of 7

I had almost the same exact situation happen to me, and I'm still upset about it. Why can't people extend a little common courtesy and just let you know when they change their minds? It was going to be my first ever wedding cake too, and I'm sad I don't get to do it!

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks ya'll! I did learn a lot from this and it is a firm rule in my book.

An update on the story: I heard back from the girl that I was doing the cake for. She felt bad that she put me through the trouble and has agreed to let me do the cake to cover the cost that I have already spent. I reluctantly accepted BUT I also asked for her to send me a 50% deposit before I will even start on the cake. As you can imagine! So, hopefully, I will get the deposit early next week so that I can start on it!

ugh! I agree that some people should show some courtesy sometimes and let you know ahead of time! oh well.........thanks for the encouraging words.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%