Help!! Candy Melts Not Melting Enough To Pour

Decorating By Miksadie Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 11:57am by beachcakes

Miksadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miksadie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 15

How do I get candy melts to melt enough to pour over cupcakes. Should I just dip them in it. I am trying to make little coffee cups and in Wilton's magazine it says to pour the candy over it. I have never worked with this stuff so not sure what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated....I am in the middle of all of this now.

Thanks,
Mikki

14 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 15

I usually microwave for a few seconds, stir, microwave, stir until melted. Just like with chocolate.

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 15

I have always melted my candy melts in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time stop and stir see where you are add another 30 sec etc. If it is not pourable after all the candy melts are melted you can always try to add a little veg shortening in to thin it out a bit, Never add water as this seizes up the chocolate. Hope this helps.

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 15

You can also add some heated heavy whipped cream to make a sort of ganache which will pour over cupcakes, and then slightly harden.

Miksadie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 15

Well, I tried the veg oil. I don't want to ruin it b/c it is all I have here on hand. I do not have heaving whipping cream and they have to get hard b/c they will look like teacups and be picked up by hand.

The recipe makes it sound so easy, just melt and pour. It is melted just like chocolate but it is not runny enough to pour. I tried putting it on by hand and that is not going to work well....URRRRGH

Miksadie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 15

Well, they are covered but look AWFUL!!! I will post pics when I get them completed. I think I might be embarrassed to serve these at my Bible Study tonight....=( They are tasting good so far though.... icon_cry.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 15

Since I melt a LOT of chocoalte with my chocolate fountains, my guess is you are melting it all at once and not in little steps.

When my 2nd-in-command was having a problem getting the chocolate smooth enough to flow, I realized I hadn't told her this little trick and she was trying to melt 2 lbs in one shot. No, no, no ... once I told her how to do it (my fault for assuming she knew! icon_redface.gif ), it was a breeze.

Microwave for 30 or 45 seconds at a time ... stir ... nuke ... stir ... nuke ... stir. Also if the chocolate is old, this can affect how it melts (I just melted my last handful yesterday and ran into this).

Miksadie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 15

Here are the finished products. I am proud I did it for the first time but not pleased at all with the finished product of the cup....
LL

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 15

Aww, I think they're cute!! icon_smile.gif Learning experiences do suck when you have the perfect picture in your head, but it doesn't quite work out. But don't be too critical! They are pretty cute!!

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 15

Coat the inside of the cups with melted product, not the outside. The rough edge gets hidden by whatever you put in the cups.

Miksadie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks for the support... icon_redface.gif

I do not quite know what you mean to coat the inside of the cups. I coated directly onto the cupcake. Is there some easier way that I missed. They cupcakes were baked without a liner and then I turned them upside down and poured the melted candy melts over it.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 15

Ah. Never mind then. I thought you were piping something into candymelt vessels.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #13 of 15

The best thing to add to chocolate is Paramount crystals. They look like wax and are made for this purpose.

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #14 of 15

I usually use small amounts of crisco to thin my chocolate for easy drizzling it works well. and it doesn't effect the chocolates ability to harden if you don't put to much

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:57am
post #15 of 15

Aww - they came out cute! You have to serve them!

I always have problems with candy melts. I mean, every time. It's never a pouring consistency and I use the micro at 30 sec intervals and stir in between like suggested. Also make sure you stop microing when there are a few lumps left and just stir them to melt. Otherwise you can scorch the melts.

I second the paramount crystals - they help alot. I've even used solid crisco in a pinch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%