Stress Free Cake Stand

Decorating By hammer1 Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm by leah_s

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 29

does anyone use the stress free cake stand? Is it worth investing in it? Do I need to buy the plates if I have standard separator plates? Just looking for info.

28 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 29

I have a friend in NC who swears by them She is in love!
This is where she gets them. You can give Jack, the owner a call, he is so helpful and courteous. He will tell you what you need.
http://www.weddingcakestands.com/

I use SPS because I have been using them for over 10 years and why change now?

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:39am
post #3 of 29

you need to talk to leahs... I am going to use mine for the first time this weekend.

Janice

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #4 of 29

to Janice

let me know how it goes this weekend with the new stand? What did you buy the basic set? separator plates?
I hate to stack cakes right on top each other, I seem to get them to high or too low. I encourage my brides to use our acrylic stand with gradually elevates each layer, pretty set up and a lot easier for me.

Mary

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:50am
post #5 of 29

i use them and you do not need to use their plates. just cake board circles will work fine. its a great system, make sure you get a deposit.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 29

Ok, I may be missing something so please be gentle with me but are you talking about the stress free support sytem. The web site that cakequeen showed isn't that. The stress free I have is the rings that attach to legs that adjust to different height. I love them. I have two sizes of legs. You can use cardboard or any other plates with these. They do have the same concept, legs push through the cake. Just wondering.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 29

I have the basic system. Its great! I use cardboard separator plates only with them. They really do a nice job and their easy. I dont like the other plastic ones where they attach to feet on the plates. I always had problems with them slipping.
The only thing is because their expensive you have to ask for them back. I always get weird looks from the venues when I tell them I need them back. So I have to explain that their stainless steel and expensive. I also had to write it in my cake contract that if I dont get them back that they will be charged a $180 fee for their replacement. You can either do that or get an upfront deposit.

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 29

I am getting ready to order this system for a 5 tier buttercream wedding cake (2 tiers will be dummies). Do you transport your cakes assembled or do you assemble them on site?

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 29

The link to the stress frees is actually http://www.weddingcakesupports.com/.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 29

I do if the location isnt too far away but if I have a distance then I have them separate or if its a four layer cake I will do two and two or one and two put together. That way I dont have to worry about probelms. Before I got the system I had a cake I delivered that was two hours away and a car in front of me slammed on their brakes. Needless to say my bottom two layers went flying forward. I could only salvage the top two layers for presentation and the third for cutting in the back. I didnt make a dime on that cake because they guy wouldnt pay me even for my time. So I dont leave it to chance anymore.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 29

lOVE IT!

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #12 of 29

Okay, so I'm extremely visual, have patience with me here... can someone please post a picture of one of the legs both "screwed in" and "unscrewed" so I can see the difference in length?

Thanks!

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #13 of 29
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:51am
post #14 of 29

OOOPS! My mistake...sorry icon_redface.gif
the "superior stacking system" is definitely not the stress free support system, I was mis-informed and passed on incorrect info.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #15 of 29

Well, I'm a BIG fan of SPS - Single Plate Separator system. It's easy , cheap and sturdy. It's made to be disposable and I add $20 to the price of a tiered cake to cover the cost. Customers and venues love that there is nothing to return. Did I mention that it's easy to use, extremely sturdy and really cheap? icon_smile.gif

matwogirls Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #16 of 29

Leahs,

So you never ask for it back? do buy in bulk to only have to charge 20? And do they work just as well if you do keep reusing them?

Thanks
Janice

leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:59am
post #17 of 29

They are reusable for a couple of times. And yes, I use a lot of SPS, so I buy in bulk. However, Oasis offers the same prices that I get "wholesale" but they ship slow. Global Sugar Art's prices are a bit higher, but their shipping is fast.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #18 of 29

Leahs, I'm not familiar with Oasis, so I googled it - is this the place you're talking about?

http://www.oasisupply.com/home.asp

thanks!

leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm
post #19 of 29

That's it!

matwogirls Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:55am
post #20 of 29

I used the system for the first time this past weekend. And all I can say is THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU LEAHS. What an amazing difference. I took all of my touch up gear: icing, extra flowers, extra fondant, tools. So I have to travel clear accross the city, could not be farther apart for driving. So moved it fully decorated to my vehicle, then drove all the way over to the reception, then put in catering cart and took the bumpy trip to through the hotel. Moved it to display table. and I had to nothing I need to touch up. I just stood there and did not know what do with myself. It was the oddest feeling I have ever had. And I will always take my gear with me just in case. But I kept thinking that I was missing something. I will not go back to anything else. Plus one tier I made was not quite 4" and I did not want to cut my new supports so I used the Willton fat plastic dowels and stuffed them into the seperator plates. It was not as sturdy as the tier below, but It worked like a charm.

HTH
Janice

newly converted sps user icon_wink.gif

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:11pm
post #21 of 29

Welcome to the SPS chorus! Stand tall and sing out loud!!

Seriously, I'm so glad it worked well for you. Nice not to be stressed out, huh?

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:27pm
post #22 of 29

I had a great experience with sps this past weekend as well. I had only order one set but last night I ordered several more to have on had from Oasis.

The shipping is kind of slow but the prices are great.

Theresa50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theresa50 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:46pm
post #23 of 29

i feel so dumb icon_redface.gif i have been on oasis and global looking for the sps,, does it say thats what it is .. or does it have another name for it.. i haven't any idea what they look like .. i have looked for 2 days and even put in a search and didn't find them.. does any one have a pic or could you tell me what i'm actually looking for.. i would so appreciate it.. thank you all so much..
theresa

luelue1971 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:54pm
post #24 of 29

Go to "your special day" then "wedding" then "plates and pillars" on the drop down menu. They start on page 4 or 5.

They are by bakery crafts.

Theresa50 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:00pm
post #25 of 29

thank you so much for replying so quickly.. now icon_redface.gif .. is it the frosted crystal bakery crafts plates and the scored crystal columns? icon_redface.gif

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #26 of 29

Hopefully this is the correct SPS system??

http://globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=sps

This is what I ordered and will be using for the first time this weekend! Wish me luck!

Theresa50 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:59pm
post #27 of 29

thats so great! ..thank you so much.. you all have been so kind and helpful..
theresa

luelue1971 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa50

thank you so much for replying so quickly.. now icon_redface.gif .. is it the frosted crystal bakery crafts plates and the scored crystal columns? icon_redface.gif

If you keep looking they have frosted, ivory, white in all different shapes and sizes.

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #29 of 29

If you are making a stacked cake then you need the colums/legs/pillars that have GC-4S in the inventory number. Those come pre-cut at 4". On the Oasis site, all SPS items have an inventory number that starts with BC (for the manufacturer, BakeryCrafts.) I usually get all white stuff, but to me the colors are pretty immaterial.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%