Which Extender Recipe Do You Use?

Decorating By Valli_War Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 1:58pm by Valli_War

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,
I need help. I have tried the WASC recipe from recipezaar. It came out perfect when I made just a chocolate cake. I tried the same with strawberry by adding a cup of cut strawberries and it came out great too. I tried the same recipe by adding a 3/4 cup of mashed bananas to a white cake mix and the center didn't get cooked well. It rose fine, but inside is still wet and the sides have browned. I also added a pack of instant pudding mix. Can anyone tell me what did I do wrong? I need to make a banana cake for this weekend.

TIA,

7 replies
Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 8

Did you have your oven temp at 325 and did you put the nail in the centre of your cake. This will help cook the centre and the lower temp keeps it from over cooking. Hope this helps.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 8

It may be the bannanas. We've done bannana bread for years, and recently did a bannana cake, and they do seem to tend to stay a little sticky and moister than one might think. It may be that the cake needs a bit more time for bannana just because the bannanas are so moist.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:20am
post #4 of 8

WASC, Chocolate WASC, Strawberry, Key Lime

CherryLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryLane Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:23am
post #5 of 8

When you add bannas you need to cut back on the water or sourcream. Also try replacing 1/2 cup of the white sugar with brown sugar and add a 1/2 tsp of cinamon. (Sorry about the poor spelling.)

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:23am
post #6 of 8

I don't know what type of mix you use, but I read before on the box cake mixes that if it is the mix with pudding in it, you shouldnt add more. I don't know if this applies to you. It was probably just the bananas.

Valli_War Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:49am
post #7 of 8

Thank you all. Actually I baked it at 350 and it was for one batch and I used two 9" pans. I was trying the recipe to see if it comes out fine. Now that I read your posts, the mix did have pudding in it not a lot just one cup (Pillsbury). I didn't cut back on water or sour cream, so it could be the reason. I did bake 10 minutes more than required for that pan, edges had browned really nicely but center was too moist.

Thanks, I'll try using your suggestions and see how it comes.

Valli_War Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and ideas. I used two boxes and put one cup sour cream and one cup mashed bananas. Added a little bit of banana extract (thanks to indydebi) and substituted half of the sugar with light brown sugar. Cake came out very good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%