Philadelphia

Decorating By erimsy Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm by Rookie68

erimsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erimsy Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 11

hi guys, can any one of you who lives in piladelphia give me names of shops where i can get self help( how to ) books and videos on cake decorating. my sister and i may come that way in august

10 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 11

Gee, other than the craft stores, I don't know of any cake shops in Philly. The ones I am familiar with are in the suburbs, like Oasis or KP. I would be interested in knowing if there are any shops down there, also.

I know Fantes carries some cake and candy supplies, but it is technically a restaurant supply store, and might not have what you are looking for.
Check their website www.fantes.com

Does anyone know of any others?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 11

I live in the suburbs and usually go to Michaels and AC Moore. There is this one little shop in town that has all the supplies you could think of..both cake and candy...family run but they don't have a website or anything. I can never remember the name..I shop there but for some reason the name always slips my mind. Anyway, I did a little search just now and found the below. They're in the suburbs..never heard of them but they look like they have alot. I may have to make a trip there one day.

http://www.larkscakeandcandy.com/about.asp

erimsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erimsy Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 11

thanks guys, what i actually want are tutorials on cake decorating like those from Aine2, i dont have a lot of days to order online and i find it extremely difficult doing that from Nigeria that is why i need to know a shop where i can buy off the shelf.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 11

Well, from the two major craft stores in my area, AC Moore (there are a few locations in Philly area) has a bigger selection of books than Michael's. Perhaps it is like that down there, also.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 11

I live in suburb. THe other post of lark website, it is basically an Oasis sister company. I have been there and bought quite a few stuff. I didn't see videos and books there though. Check out the website. They are in Bensalem, quite close to Philly.
The other one which is closer to where I live is called KP kitchen crafts. It is in Hatboro, PA.

HTH

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 11

I'm so glad to see this post today! I live in Lancaster, PA and my niece just asked me to go to Philli to the IKEA next week....... now I can make some other stops too!

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjballinger

I'm so glad to see this post today! I live in Lancaster, PA and my niece just asked me to go to Philli to the IKEA next week....... now I can make some other stops too!

Jennifer,
If you are planning to go to Oasissupply.com 's store make sure you call them and check the hours. They are not open to public all the time and during summer, they are not open on saturdays. Phone number for them is: 215-245-9800
Address:1448 ford road unit c bensalem pa,19020

The KP Kitchen craft store phoneicon_sad.gif215) 674-5504
Address:222 S York Rd, Hatboro, PA 19040-3328

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 11

I live near Sesame Place, outside of Philly. Their are only a few stores I am aware of.

Oasis is a great warehouse. I buy my fondant, cake boards and boxes from them. They have a few books, but limited supply.

Michaels has added more items to their cake department. I buy most of my cake supplies from them now.

AC Moore near me has downsized their cake supplies. But has some things Michaels doesnt. (Michaels and AC Moore in Oxford Valley is right next store to each other, so if one doesnt have it, you just walk next store)

Joannes has a cake section but is the most expensive out of the other 3 stores. They carry basic items, so if the other stores are out (or I buy everything on the shelf) I go to Joannes. (WITH A COUPON)

I'm gonna have to try the other store mentioned, always looking for another cake store

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks so much Valli_War!

Rookie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie68 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 11

HI!

Don't waste your time on KP Kitchens for books or videos...if you need boxes or chocolate that's the place to go..her business is mostly catered to chocolate molds, etc.

AC Moore, Michaels or Oasis supply is the only place local for cake items. Oasis customer service is awesome!

HTH!
Peggy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%