Do You Use Lots Of Flower Nails When You Bake Square Cakes?

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm by jennifer7777

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:48am
post #1 of 11

I like to use upside down flower nails in my cake pans when baking - it helps to bake the cake evenly & rise better.

Well, I have mostly been making round cakes. Last week I made square cakes & I find it takes more flower nails than round cakes do! My squares didn't rise as nicely or evenly! I had to cut off a lot of cake to make it level! I had to use one in an 8" square pan to make it bake nicely!

So now this week I'm doing larger cakes (sheet cakes, I can't remember what sizes). Should I place a flower nail like every 2 inches?

What are you guy's experience with this?

10 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:38am
post #2 of 11

Off the top of my head, (I'm at work) I believe I used approx. 4 nails, evenly spaced towards the middle on my largest square. I think it was 16 x 16 but don't hold me to it. Worked wonderfully.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:42am
post #3 of 11

I dont' use them at all. Never have. See no need.

I grease-only-no-flour the pan, bake at a reduced temp, and use baking strips.

Here's the "science" of why baking strips work: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3467363#3467363

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:52am
post #4 of 11

I think it really depends on your oven too. I have found my convection oven doesnt need nails. I bake at a lower temp, and for the big squares (more then 14 inch) I use the strips. I also pour my batter into the corners and let it flow into the middle.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 11

I use flower nails to make roses on. Never used one for cake baking. Turn your oven temp down, as the above posters have suggested.

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 11

I use flower nails. In large cakes I use 2 to 3, in smaller cakes just one in the middle. Make sure your grease and flour the nail so it won't stick. I just use the spray will the flour already in it. Also I bake with propane gas and I really think it is a different heat the electric. I use the nail and strips, excelent results....

loriemoms Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I dont' use them at all. Never have. See no need.

I grease-only-no-flour the pan, bake at a reduced temp, and use baking strips.

Here's the "science" of why baking strips work: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3467363#3467363

Debi, ever since you told me about pan grease, I think of you EVERY time I bake, wanting to throw you a big kiss! I LOVE the stuff! (I use CK's) My cakes come out with less crumbs along the sides, they pop right out, and THEY RISE HIGHER!!!! (and I won't even talk about how nice it is not have the mess of flour!)

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 11

I use bake-even strips too. How do you secure them around the square/rectangle pans? Mine usually want to slide right off.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

I use bake-even strips too. How do you secure them around the square/rectangle pans? Mine usually want to slide right off.

I arrange the strip so the end meets right exactly on a corner. Then I slide the pin thru, going "caddy-corner" thru the ends. It's easy to hold the strip in place and slide the pin in.... without having to "lift" the strip up and away from the pan, causing potential looseness around the pan.

Maybe because I grew up in the era before disposable diapers, but to me, it's just as easy as pinning a diaper nice and snug on a baby ... although I know many of you have never done that!! icon_lol.gif

loriemoms Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 11

I pretty much do the same thing..hold it away from the pan a little and slide the pin in. I could never get paper clips and such to hold.

I never thought of it before, but yes, my first two children were in cloth diapers....never made the connection before!!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 11

[quote="loriemoms"]

Quote:

Debi, ever since you told me about pan grease, I think of you EVERY time I bake, wanting to throw you a big kiss! I LOVE the stuff! (I use CK's) My cakes come out with less crumbs along the sides, they pop right out, and THEY RISE HIGHER!!!! (and I won't even talk about how nice it is not have the mess of flour!)

My favorite is Pam for baking. And my new-found key to having cakes come out of the pan so clean with hardly a crumb...do not let cool in the pan more than 10 min.

Quote:

I arrange the strip so the end meets right exactly on a corner.

Makes perfect sense...need to remember when/if I use the strips

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%