What Do You Use To Sift

Decorating By matwogirls Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 8:18pm by famousamous

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 27

I have this small hand held sifter that you need to squeeze the handle for it to work...It is hard for me to do a whole batch of icing and it takes forever. Any suggestions on an easier way?

Thanks
Janice

26 replies
carlascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlascakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 27

i have the same kind and hate it my mom use to have one with a turn handle i liked it lot better but i can't seem to find one any were (have not looked online). but i have use those thinks that look like a mesh stainer (not sure what they are called)

kholton3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kholton3 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 27

I use a mesh strainer and tap it against the side of my bowl.

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 27

how small is the mesh part of your strainer.Is it just a normal strainer? I have a hand held strainer and I thought that maybe it was too big.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:12am
post #5 of 27

I use a 14" tamis sifter. It's basically a 14" cake pan with a mesh bottom. GREAT for large batch sifting in a snap! They come in many different sizes if 14" isn't right for you.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:17am
post #6 of 27

What exactly does a sifter do? What is the difference in using one to not? I've never used one. icon_confused.gif

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:21am
post #7 of 27

I use a small metal strainer too. It just goes much faster than the one you have to squeeze in your hand.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:33am
post #8 of 27

those squeeze handle ones are useless. I use the turn-handle and luv it.

I tried the mesh strainer .... works great for p.sugar, but the holes must be too small for cake mixes because it just doesnt' shake thru as well as p.sugar does. If I could find one with slightly larger mesh, I'd use it for cake mixes, too.

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:43am
post #9 of 27

I have the 8 cup sifter with the handle crank... I don't like it though... I usually just use a big metal strainer (like the kind you would use to strain oil). It requires a lot of bouncing, but it is faster than the hand crank.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #10 of 27

The squeeze handle sifters are useless - a total waste of money. Unfortunately they're also the ones that are most widely available to the home cook.

The tamis sifters are excellent - I have a smaller one of those plus a handle crank sifter. I got them both at a restaurant supply store.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:21am
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyGonzalez

What exactly does a sifter do? What is the difference in using one to not? I've never used one. icon_confused.gif

Sifting just makes the sugar finer and gets out any lumps. Usually you really don't have to worry with doing that on a freshly opened bag but I do it anyway. I use a mesh colander, I have the kind that are hand held and the ones that look like mesh bowls. I use whichever is clean at the moment. icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:39am
post #12 of 27

I use a large, fairly fine mesh strainer. But, instead of just shaking it, or tapping it on the side of the bowl, I use a wire whisk to swirl the powdered sugar around and through. Works like a charm, It takes a little more effort with the whisk, but you can also sift cake mixes this way.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:56am
post #13 of 27

Mesh strainer, and push it through w/ a spoon.

Mike

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:12am
post #14 of 27

Mesh strainer, with the highly technical 'tap on the side of the bowl' method. icon_biggrin.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:17am
post #15 of 27

I use both the crank handle style and mesh strainers. I prefer the crank, but mine is too small...I think I need to borrow thecreativeone4's!
Anyway, mine in an inexpensive Ecko brand and it works great.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:28am
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyGonzalez

If sifting for sifting sake, it removes any lumps, etc., as mentioned above. But it makes a difference in measuring. If the recipe calls for "1 cup sifted flour", that's about a tsp or two different (lighter) than "1 cup flour" or "1 cup flour, sifted".

grami948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grami948 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:33am
post #17 of 27

I have one of the 1960's hand crank sifters however it's now flaking off small pieces! <very deep sigh> I keep it for the young grandkids to use when they want to "work" with flour. Have gone to a large sifter & whisk as well even for cake mixes... remember, I'm not a business & at my age EVERYTHING takes more time. icon_lol.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:36am
post #18 of 27

Boy, I must be really, really lazy. I have tried the hand held squeeze strainer (hate it), the mesh strainer (mess is more like it), with and without a spoon.
I watched a tv show one time that said all I needed to do was take a wire whisk and whisk the PS or flour, or the additional dry ingredients. So simple. Everytime I do this, I don't have problems with lumps or clumps. Works for me.

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:53am
post #19 of 27

I use those mesh splash guards and shake it through with my hands. It works just fine, just have to careful about it falling over the edge and making a mess, but then I make a mess when I'm baking anyway. LOL

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #20 of 27

i use a sieve and i kind push stuff around using a whisk. it's faster than the tap or shake.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

i use a sieve and i kind push stuff around using a whisk. it's faster than the tap or shake.

Ditto icon_smile.gif Makes life faster and cleaner!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #22 of 27

Sift?

I simply try to avoid it if at all possible

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:57am
post #23 of 27

I agree with Leahs, I try to avoid it. But for WASC, I just use the whisk, per the instructions. I do have a hand crank sifter that I bought at Smart and Final -- actually like it very much. I was using a very small strainer (3") and banging it on the side of the bowl. Decided then to avoid sifting, but the hand crank works well for me. Just a home cook/decorator, so I am not doing huge batches. If I were, I would use a large food grade sieve -- 14" is about right.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:07am
post #24 of 27

I use a medium/large mesh strainer. I used to use the one with the squeeze handle and I hated it (I stopped sifting). Got the mesh strainer and love it...works like a charm for me. I picked it up at Surfas in California (don't know if anyone is here on the West Coast).

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:35am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by matwogirls

I have this small hand held sifter that you need to squeeze the handle for it to work...It is hard for me to do a whole batch of icing and it takes forever. Any suggestions on an easier way?

Thanks
Janice

I found a Pampered Chef battery operated sifter on Ebay back in 2003. I love it. It tends to get a little messy, but it's easy on my arthritic hands!

tasycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasycat Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #26 of 27

I heard somewhere that you can use a food processor to sift the powdered sugar. Has anyone tried this? Do you think it would work? I almost never sift because I have the squeeze handle kind and the beginnings of carpal tunnel problems. It just hurts too much.

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:18pm
post #27 of 27

I had a squeeze handle one but in a sifting furry the sping popped out never to be seen again. Now I use a 4 cup crank style one. I love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%