My Cat Ate The Cake

Decorating By EnjoyTheCake Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 2:09am by NikkiDoc

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:57am
post #121 of 219

Here's an interesting thread for everyone. Warning, if you are about to eat a meal, don't read it icon_confused.gif .
After reading some of these stories, I think I'd rather eat a cat/dog hair icon_surprised.gif !
Enjoy~

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/393755

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:59am
post #122 of 219

This is meant to be funny but is "food" for thought. But this discussion about what people think is o.k. or not ok in reguards to food prep just makes me second guess our next church potluck or any potluck for that matter. icon_sad.gif hmmm... or should i say icon_biggrin.gif yummmmm..... hahaha. I am seriously a little freaked out tho. icon_eek.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:27am
post #123 of 219

JSchuhmann I'm with you. I know what my MIL thinks is "ok" and I don't like to eat her food. I also don't eat at pot-lucks. I'll bring stuff, and make our excuses. UGH!!!
We have a little shitzu (ok, I really don't know how to spell that!!!), so no issues of counter-top, but he DID manage to eat my DD's pizza one night (she left it on the coffee table and went out of the room). he didn't get off the floor for 3 days!!!

I ate the yummy tops off of all my mom's banana loafs once. and ONLY once. They were for the church. She taught me right then and there how to bake!!!

My DH is the culprit for sticking his fingers in stuff. I read him the riot act, and he is better, but I wonder if I can divorce him for it??? Or hire a hit-man??? Is that wrong???

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:45am
post #124 of 219

OK, I have no pets in my house right now, just because it's a rental. So, pet free kitchen for me. Didn't stop some guests two weeks ago from eating straight out of the serving bowl with their fingers icon_mad.gif

I had a black cat named Rascal who would eat popcorn. He would steal it right out of the bowl by spearing it with his claws. We would put some in the corner for him. He would still 'sneak' it away.

My sister's dog got on the counter and ate a whole pan of brownies I made icon_eek.gif He and daddy had to go to the vet and get charcoaled. Well, daddy got charcoaled by accident and oh boy did he have a fun ride home. For those who don't know, charcoal makes everything come back out every where it can.

My best friend's cats don't eat any people food. Except the big black and orange cat that LOVES Popeye's chicken!!! She's a Bengal cat so she kind of chirps instead of meowing. She'll just beg for that chcken me-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh me-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh icon_confused.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm
post #125 of 219

I had to do the food sanitation course for pastry school, and the chef teaching the class told everyone that we'd talk about any good or bad things that we'd noticed if we ate out that week. After we were assigned the chapter on foodborne illness, she asked if anyone had any meal-out comments. Not one person raised their hand, and she said "Nobody ate out this week?" One guy responded "After reading chapter three I'm never eating out again!"

I don't eat at buffets at all, I've seen too many things like the chefs dumping new hot food on top of the old food in the warming trays instead of replacing the whole thing like they're supposed to. My SIL and her MIL both got food poisoning from one place where I saw that happen.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #126 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I don't eat at buffets at all, I've seen too many things like the chefs dumping new hot food on top of the old food in the warming trays instead of replacing the whole thing like they're supposed to. My SIL and her MIL both got food poisoning from one place where I saw that happen.

That reminds me of the time my husband and I went to a steakhouse late one evening. We ordered our meals and drinks and headed to the salad bar. We found a big, black bug sitting in the lettuce. When the waitress brought our drinks, I told her about the bug. She looked at her watch and said, "We close in another 2 hours, so there's no sense in tossing all that lettuce." We canceled our food order, paid for our drinks and left.

I called the restaurant manager the next day and gave him an ear-full. He didn't act shocked or disgusted, but offered me a gift certificate to the restaurant. I told him "no thanks." They closed down a couple months later.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #127 of 219

This reminds me of my wonderful trip to Luby's one day.
My parents and I went there for lunch one day and I got the steamed broccoli and cheese sauce which is my fav. Well I had eaten about half of it when I looked down at my plate and noticed the little black specks in it. I wasn't sure at first if it was just the broccoli bush part or something else. Well I looked very close and noticed that they had legs, and were just floating around in my cheese sauce. I was completely disgusted since I had eaten half of it. My dad flagged down the waiter and we asked for a manger so we could tell him. He came over and as I explained the situation that SOB had the nerve to chuckle and say and I quote "Well I guess we should charge more since that could be counted as a meat and not veggie" Then he said he would take the item off of our receipt and that was it.
As we were leaving I noticed they were still serving the broccoli.
A few MONTHS later they were shut down due to health violations.

To this day I can't eat broccoli and cheese or even see anyone eating it without being sick.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:44am
post #128 of 219

This kitty definitely likes her cake!

http://www.maniacworld.com/cat-vs-birthday-cake.html

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm
post #129 of 219

double post sorry

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:10pm
post #130 of 219
Quote:
Quote:

I wash my hands so many times while I am baking/decorating that my hands are raw before I am done. I even use the bleach on my hands. I have a seaperate set of dish cloths that I use just for cake stuff that get washed by them selves in hot water with more bleach. I once gave my daughter a bath in bleach water after she had stepped in dog poop.

Is anyone else concerned or is it just me? I'm not trying to cause trouble but isnt that dangerous?

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #131 of 219

Karema- You are absolutely correct, it is very dangerous behavior. Chlorine Bleach is toxic and definitely not meant for use on human skin. I am horrified that anyone would give her daughter a bleach bath! Dog poop is easily and safely removed with water from a hose followed by ordinary soap and water. Keeping your home clean is one thing, scrubbing your own hands raw is something totally different.

I may be over reacting because we do swim in chlorinated pools, but still a bleach bath?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:53pm
post #132 of 219

I am thankful that my kitty neither likes cake, nor even bothers to come in the kitchen. She has no reason to, since her food/water and litter box are all in the basement.

Growing up we had a cat who loved to sample the butter if it was left out. We didn't just cut the lick marks from the stick - we tossed the whole thing. It's the sanitary thing to do. I'd be grossed out to know I'd been served cake which had been previously sampled by a pet, even if the bite marks had been removed.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:13am
post #133 of 219

I was just about to post about the bleach-please, do not bleach your children. I don't care what they've stepped in, that's just wrong.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:40am
post #134 of 219

Um....baths in bleach have been considered child abuse in several cases I've seen on those forensics shows. icon_eek.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:41am
post #135 of 219

Perhaps I am being daft icon_confused.gif but don't you think she meant she cleaned the poop off the foot and then rinsed the foot in a water/bleach mixture to sanitize? I did not read that and visualize a Clorox-bubble bath or anything..........

akgirl10 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:44am
post #136 of 219

She would have given the shoe a bath in bleach water. Unless the shoe is named "daughter", I don't think that was the case.

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #137 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Perhaps I am being daft icon_confused.gif but don't you think she meant she cleaned the poop off the foot and then rinsed the foot in a water/bleach mixture to sanitize? I did not read that and visualize a Clorox-bubble bath or anything..........

Yes that is exactly what I meant. I guess I didn't make my self clear. I did not put STRAIGHTT bleach on the child, and I don't use STRAIGHT bleach on my hands either. I also never said I was proud of it (Hence the icon_redface.gif ) Did you not read the part that said I am OCD? It's a disease people. I mean it's not like I ate a peice of cake that had been lick by a cat... icon_lol.gif

When my daughter was a little over a year old, she got into the cabinet under the sink (Even though we had those locky things, so don't give me gruff about that) and I found her with the bleach water mixture. She some how was able to un twist the spray bottle. I wasn't sure if she drank any or just spilled on herself. None the less I called poison control. They told me if she had drank my mixture (one part bleach to 10 parts water) it wouldn't harm her. She said that bleach was 99% water and we do drink/soak up through skin more chlorine while swimming. The most it would do was give her the runs. It did NOT and it didn't even ruin the clothes she was wearing.

I guess you can't please everybody...too clean...not clean enough..
A cada uno se propio
To each his own icon_rolleyes.gif

akgirl10 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #138 of 219

Thanks for clarifying.

Jocmom Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #139 of 219

Julisa - my niece is working at a day care center this summer, and commented on the amount of bleach they use on the diaper changing station. Her hands were becoming a mess until she started wearing latex gloves that she picked up at a medical supply store. She wears them while changing diapers so she's not required to scrub her hands with a bleach solution after changing a diaper, and her hands aren't exposed to the bleach when she wipes down the diaper changing table. She tosses the gloves after changing each child. She's a college student, and commented that the box of gloves were inexpensive enough for even her budget.

Would this be a solution you'd consider for your hands? My niece said that she loads her hands up with a lotion before applying the gloves if she's going to spend a lot of time cleaning elsewhere in the day care center. That way she's protecting her hands from harsh cleaning chemicals and she's repairing some of the previous damage that she's done.

Julisa Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:54am
post #140 of 219

Jocmom,
Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about that, but haven't been able to find gloves small enough for my hands. I tried wearing them when I colored fondant and such, but kept "kneading" the long fingers into the fondant. I do wear rubber gloves when cleaning and have several pairs (I can not use the same pair to clean sinks, bathtubs, or toilet. It grosses me out). The bleach is not what causes my hands to be raw. It's just the fact that I wash them so often (with plain soap). I stopped using hand sanitizer because it was worse. I can not stand for my hands to be dirty or sticky. I can barely stand to put lotion on them.

This is totaly off subject, but does any one else clean the inside of their toilet tank?

Jocmom Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #141 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julisa

Jocmom,
Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about that, but haven't been able to find gloves small enough for my hands. I tried wearing them when I colored fondant and such, but kept "kneading" the long fingers into the fondant. I do wear rubber gloves when cleaning and have several pairs (I can not use the same pair to clean sinks, bathtubs, or toilet. It grosses me out). The bleach is not what causes my hands to be raw. It's just the fact that I wash them so often (with plain soap). I stopped using hand sanitizer because it was worse. I can not stand for my hands to be dirty or sticky. I can barely stand to put lotion on them.

This is totaly off subject, but does any one else clean the inside of their toilet tank?

My niece is pretty tiny and has little hands. These are like the gloves that doctors wear during surgery. I've seen some mighty small doctors, so they must make the gloves small enough for them. They can't be flapping around in big gloves during surgery.

I found a "soap free" chapped hands cleanser. Don't worry - your hands will still get clean when using it. I bought it for my husband after he had a cast removed from his hand. His hand was really dry and raw from rubbing against the cast. He said that this stuff actually felt good on his sore hand. It's made by C. O. Bigelow - they have a web site and Bath and Body Works stores sell their products too. Good luck!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #142 of 219
Quote:
Quote:

does any one else clean the inside of their toilet tank?

icon_eek.gif

I certainly don't.

Julisa Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #143 of 219

Jocmom,
Do you know what brand of surgical gloves she uses? I used to work for and Internal Med. Dr. and I tried ordering some threw her, but those were to big also. I know they have them, I mean they must. I just haven't been fortunate enough to find any in this ITTY BITTY town.

Julisa Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #144 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Quote:
Quote:

does any one else clean the inside of their toilet tank?

icon_eek.gif

I certainly don't.

Ummm..he he he...ummm of course not...that would be madness..he he...umm...yeah..(twiddling thumbs and whistling inconspicuously)

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:02am
post #145 of 219

Ummm... If you are working with fondant or cake and using gloves, I recommend using vinyl. Some people are allergic to latex. Just a thought.

Julisa, can you come to my house and be OCD once or twice a month???

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:08am
post #146 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julisa

Ummm..he he he...ummm of course not...that would be madness..he he...umm...yeah..(twiddling thumbs and whistling inconspicuously)

rotflmAo! Holy cow, woman, you need to come and give me some lessons!! Our toilet is often broken and I have to stick my hand in there and "flush" it manually.......(are you wigging out yet??) icon_lol.gif

When I am 'doing cake', I wash my hands so often they are raw but its just in antibacterial soap..... I notice, and this is embarassing, if I am doing a cake for someone else, I am much more sanitary then if it were for my family. icon_redface.gif I mean I am still clean but if its a cake order or something, I am washing my hands CONSTANTLY, every time I touch anything that could contaminate the cake.....I know, it makes not sense, lol.

Julisa Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:24am
post #147 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Julisa, can you come to my house and be OCD once or twice a month???

You'll have to get in line. I had surgery 4 weeks ago and have not been able to clean. Can you imagine? I am going crazy waiting for DH to do it for me. I'm tellin' you..a couple of more days and I just might explode.

My nails look real nice though.

cakinallday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinallday Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:40am
post #148 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

My daughter did it before...I had left the cake on the turntable and she climbed up and stuck her tongue out and spun the turntable until she wore a groove in the icing. It was her birthday cake and we still served it icon_biggrin.gif We just made sure that only family got an outside piece...our guests got the non-licked pieces.

When I had cats, they never ate cake...but they did eat some strange things. I had one who ate refried beans (had to put him outside afterwards!!!), another who ate tinsel which comes out looking the same, and one who would pick up his can of cat food with his mouth and jump on top of the kitchen table so he could eat dinner with us. (he also thought he would breastfeed when we had our daughter, and he had to go live with some friends on a ranch because he wouldn't take no for an answer).

It's funny how we get so used to our pets but things sound gross to other people...for example I have a parakeet who takes showers with me and I bet that sounds disgusting to a lot of people.

breast feed? that is too funny icon_lol.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:44am
post #149 of 219

I'm sorry to say this and hate me if u want but If a person has a pet in their home I would not want a cake from them whether they gave it away for free or sell them. That is unsanitary & disgusting, I'm sorry theres no other way of putting it.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #150 of 219

I'm sorry to say this and hate me if u want but If a person has a pet in their home I would not want a cake from them whether they gave it away for free or sell them. That is unsanitary & disgusting, I'm sorry theres no other way of putting it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%