Little Girl Turning Three?

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 2:37am by kbgieger

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:46am
post #1 of 6

I have a friend that wants me to make a cake for her daughter's third birthday in September. She told me that she hasn't decided on a theme yet, and that I should tell her what I want to make and she will work around that. She also doesn't kow how many people yet, except the round number ot "lots", so I figure I'll plan for 50 now and we can scale up or down from there.

Iv'e only been decorating (more than borders and writing) for about 6 months now and she knows that, so it's nice to be able to pick what I am comfortable with. But at the same time so much freedom as a beginner is a little intimidating!

I am planning to pitch a castle cake since I want to try one, and think I could pull off a decent one in BC using inspiration from cakes I've seen here. Plus it's easily scale-able as we get a more definite number. I was also thinking of pitching a big ol' sheet cake with a teddy bear or bunny or (insert her daughter's favorite stuffed animal) on top - probably done in RKT since I have just found that medium with making my sons's birthday cake and I have fallen in love!

What other ideas can you think of for a 3 YO girl? What do 3 year old girls like? My oldest son isn't even 2 yet, and both of my kids are boys, so I am clueless, LOL!

TIA!

5 replies
susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:07am
post #2 of 6

Def. make the suggestion, I always do that when I have a customer that doesnt know what they want, if they do have any idea that is when I seem to hear it. icon_wink.gif But it will spark the ideas flowing regardless or she will love you idea and you are all set. icon_wink.gif Perfect suggestion for a little girl. I have 2 one 3 and one 6 and princesses are big. So anything related is usually good.
I hope that helps.
Good luck
Susan

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 11:28am
post #3 of 6

My daughter's turning 3 next month. She loves the castle cakes. Every time we see a picture of one, she gets all excited. (Of course, for her own cake she wants Dora on a mountain with a waterfall and crocodiles icon_biggrin.gif ) I'm making a cake for another 3 year old in August and all her mom has said so far is that she wants it to be stacked and over the top girly, with Hello Kitty on the top.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 6

I was going to suggest doing the cake as whatever her favorite character is - or the castle!

my daughter is 2 and we are having a Tigger and Pooh cake, I did Mickey for a friends daughter and I'm doing Mickey again for my nephew. I know some popular ones for that age are princess, dora, hello kitty, clifford etc.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 6

I think you just need to start a dialogue with her. Find out what her DD loves and then pitch some ideas.. either she'll say YES!! or give you some ideas of where to go. icon_smile.gif

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:37am
post #6 of 6

OK, my DD will be 3 a week from tomorrow. I've been asking her for about 6 weeks now, "What kind of birthday cake do you want?" She's been consistently asking for a Cinderella cake. so that's what I'm doing (Cinderella's coach).

She loves all the Disney princesses; princesses are REALLY big at this age. She also REALLY loves Dora, but I had to put my foot down on Dora because her 1st AND 2nd b-day cakes were Dora themed and I just couldn't do three in a row! icon_biggrin.gif

3 yr old girls are usually pretty articulate - I bet she can tell you who her favorite characters are.

HTH,

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%