Anyone Tried The "frosting Shots" Concept?

Decorating By Larie Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm by MosMom

Larie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 32

Saw it in a local newspaper article that people are selling shots of frosting.. It sounds like a neat idea. anyone tried it?

31 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 32

Haven't heard of this??? Could you explain? Thanks.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 32

yeah, I'd also be interested in the whole point of selling icing by the teaspoon! icon_lol.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 32

Is this what you are referring to:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080721/news_lz1n21nowread.html

Seems like an odd concept to me - but hey, if people want a cup of frosting...

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 32

Now I get it, If I had a real storefront, in an area of high traffic, I WOULD DO IT!!! Sounds like fun. hey, .75 for a shot of icing.... that is doable!!! icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 32

What a cool idea! I've had plenty of people ask if I would sell containers of my buttercream, but I always say no...I mean if you want my yummy stuff, then you'll just have to order a cake, dude :lol! But, this is a great way to make a little extra $$$ on what doesn't amount to much cost anyways. Pretty neat!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 32

Makes sense to me! I do that at home.. if I have left over buttercream, I'll dip in for a spoonful everyonce in a while! YUm!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 32

Since it seems this is also targeted to the hip college crowd, you could use some fun liquor flavored oils to spruce it up. No need to worry about anyone driving home icon_wink.gif

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 32

I just saw this on the Today show. Interesting concept. Hoda and Kathie Lee seemed to have trouble figuring out how to get the shots out since BC just sticks in there and they weren't given little spoons or anything. They had to use their fingers and that is kind of icky to me. Unless they are giving out little spoons with it, who wants to get all sticky?

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 32

I was just wondering that, how do you get it out?? icon_confused.gif I was hoping the article spelled it out for me, but it didn't.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 32

There is a cupcake store not far from me who selling frosting shots. They are in 2" x 2" little clear baggies and they just cut the corner and you squeeze it into your mouth.

It looks like they have one of those sealers and make the little bags and fill with frosting.

And really how many times are we stressed for time and have not made dinner and just grab a couple spoonfuls of buttercream to make it thru!!!

The everyday person does not have the stuff laying around like we do. They really think this is special so if we can sell it why not.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 32

We have visited "Back in the Day" Bakery in Savannah several times and we LOVE their icing shots. It is a really cute funky shop, and the concept goes well along with the feel of shop.

There, the icing comes in small nut cups , so you just squeeze it out.

For the ones that use real shot glasses, you would need a small spoon.

I have a customer who has been buying icing shots from me for probably the last 5 years or so. It was totally her suggestion -- she just really loves icing!!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #13 of 32

I think it would be good in those paper acordian folded cups--the kind you can pull apart and flatten into a circle. You could squeeze those just like one of those tube-style popsicles and you wouldn't have to deal with spoons or sticky fingers.

This would be for the die-hard sugar fanatic!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 32

I would soo buy an icing shot! I like to try different icings and that does sound like a good way. Plus, how fun for a girl's night out without alcohol. OR.... with alcohol. Choc. buttercream shot with kahlua.... White chocolate with amaretto..........

YUMMY!

classymomx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classymomx3 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #15 of 32

what about putting the shot in a chocolate cup. Then you just eat the cup.

MosMom Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #16 of 32

Those other ideas would work. On the Today show, the shots were in a clear plastic cup similar to what you put jello shots in.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #17 of 32

I'm really not sure how you'd get it out of a regular shot glass, but if you used those small plastic sample cups then you could probably just lick it out. It would be shallow enough that you could get it out fairly easily. Another option could be to get regular plastic spoons and put some buttercream on it. Like those coffee spoons with the chocolate, instead it would have frosting. I guess you could even stir it in your coffee. Sounds good to me. icon_wink.gif

MosMom Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:05pm
post #18 of 32

I like the spoon idea a lot.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:09pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by classymomx3

I do this each year for a fancy gala here in town and they LOVE it!!I bought a ton of chocolate cup molds, but I much prefer to make them from a mini cupcake liner!

drgrl21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgrl21 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #20 of 32

allow me to say that is not a new concept. As a child in my country I will always go the bakeries and for 25 cents I would always choose my color of frosting and they would take a spatula and put a dallop on parchment paper and wrap it to look like a cone. I've always thought about offering this idea. But it's been done since forever.

Drgrl21

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #21 of 32

Love the chocolate cup idea! Hmmm...I wonder if I could try this out on a certain DH of mine? Perfect guinea pig icon_lol.gif!

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #22 of 32

Sounds good to me...I always squeeze some onto my little boys finger when I am all done and he is thrilled. I too LOVE the spoon idea and the chocolate cup...and the mini cupcake liner mold. Right now I am not busy enough to offer something like this all the time...But it will definately be in my memory bank!!!!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by classymomx3

Now that would be right up my alley. I thought I was one in a handful that could eat a spoon of frosting. icon_surprised.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #24 of 32

I love the parchment paper idea. That is an awesome idea.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #25 of 32

I didn't see the chocolate cup idea. That rocks!

Larie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:34pm
post #26 of 32

You could do different types of chocolate also.White, milk and dark. What a neat idea. I am dying to try it out on someone or for something...

Larie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #27 of 32

What if you served it in a mini icream cone?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:02pm
post #28 of 32

Make frosting pops. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Make frosting pops. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Ooo...those sound fun. How about sharing the "how to" on these bad boys?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #30 of 32

how lovely. the ideas are so cool. i love the chocolate cups because i'm a sugar addict LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%