How To Make A Topper For A Wedding Cake.

Decorating By JavaJunkieChrissy Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 12:58pm by indydebi

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #1 of 6

I hope that I can explain this correctly.

I need to make a topper for a wedding cake. Its supose to be all roses (I've already made them from my gumpate) and it's supose to look like a round bouquet....

I was thinking about getting a styrofoam ball and cutting that in half and then putting by gumpaste flowers in that but I'm worried that you'll be able to see the foam.

Any suggestion on how to do this ???

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:31am
post #2 of 6

I just sort of stack them up, depending on their size. Mine are always wired too, so I can position them where I want them.

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 6

Yea, I have them on wire. I was just thinking that it might be easy to put them on a styrofoam ball...??? Of course I would have to use half of the ball. This weekend I'll probably try it out and see what it looks like. Worse thing that could happen is that I'll have to make some rose buds to fill in the smaller spaces....I really didn't want to have to do that but...you know how that goes.. icon_smile.gif

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 6

You could also make babys breath and some greenery to fill the spaces in like they do in a real bouquet.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 6

I don't know if this will help but I saw on one site can't remember but someone made a bow, they used a glob (made into a ball) of 50/50 fondant and gum paste they put a wire on each loop and stuck it in the ball of gum paste/fondant it was the same color as the loops so you really couldn't see the ball under the loops sometime its hard to color Styrofoam
Just a thought

Molly2

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 6

If you go with the styrofoam ball, cover it in green paper or green fondant or something. Then if any of it can be seen, it looks like the bed of grass or leaves that are naturally under the flowers.

I do this all the time when I make BC flower sprays ... I pipe a pile of green icing as the base ... less time spent filling in the gaps because it doesnt' matter if some fo the green base icing shows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%