Jennifermi's Chocolate Fondant

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 10:30pm by JenniferMI

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 60

I made Jennifer's chocolate fondant last night. It is the best fondant I ever ate. I don't even want to go back to plain old fondant. The recipe is in her new DVD so I don't think I can post it. The website to her DVDs and her new store is http://www.jenniferdontz.com/

The DVDs had so many cool things you could do the the chocolate fondant and the pearl clay and she shows you how to make it in the DVD.

I took her class last week in Orlando and it was so much fun. I learned so much from her that I have the confidence now to go out and try new flowers on my own. It was my first flower making class and I can't wait until she comes back to Florida again. My flower pictures are on my website.

Just had to share.

The funny thing is I took the flowers to my doctor's office to show the ladies there, and they loved them so much they put them on a pretty display plate in the waiting room. They told me everyone is asking about them and kept thinking they were real.

I just had to share.

59 replies
superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 60

pjaycakes, did you use the Petinice fondant when you made Jen's chocolate fondant? I love her DVD, but have a lot of Fondx in stock so was thinking of trying it with that instead of the Petinice. Jen is a wonderful person & always willing to help anyone, I love her attitude. I also have to say that her shipping is VERY fast & not expebsive. That is something I really appreciate.

pjaycakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:09am
post #3 of 60

I used the pettinice (sp) since it was the first time. I never used Fondex at all, so if it is softer than pettinice maybe just use a bit less of it that way the fondant won't be too soft. Maybe just half or quarter the recipe and use the fondex and see how it works that way if it doesn't you didn't waste to many ingredients.

superstar Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 60

I don't know how soft Pettinice is, but I will try adding less as Fondx is quite soft. I'll let you know what happens.

pjaycakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:20am
post #5 of 60

Yes, please let me know. I usually use Satin Ice for everything, so I may try it with that and see what happens. Thanks

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:29am
post #6 of 60

Tanks for sharing the info. thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #7 of 60

I have some leftover Satin Ice I want to use in that recipe and also some Pettinice. I'm hoping to make half a recipe using the Satin Ice and half using the Pettinice. So far I've made the Pearl Clay using Pettinice and I loved it. Will let you know when I make that with the Satin Ice as well! icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 60

Hi Patty!

I am THRILLED you like the fondant!!!! My customers are always surprised when they taste it and they have already tasted nasty fondant. They didn't think they wanted fondant, then they order it icon_smile.gif

I am curious to see how the choc. mixture works with other brands, so please let us know... A friend used Satin Ice once and said it was to soft.
I am just so pleased with the Pett. that I always use that.

Isn't it FUN to display your flowers and hear the comments?! I am so so happy you enjoyed the class! I had SO much fun, too! That is the best compliment when a group wants another class. We don't have a date yet, but will be sure to post it on CC in the events column.

Thanks again, Patty!!

Jen icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:14am
post #9 of 60

You guys made me so curious. I have to order those DVDs!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:47am
post #10 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edit

You guys made me so curious. I have to order those DVDs!!!!

They are soooo worth it!! Especially the fondant frills DVD -- Amazing!!! icon_biggrin.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #11 of 60

Hey Patty!!
I haven't even taken a picture of my flowers and berries yet!! hehe. Your way ahead of me! lol. My hubby keeps studying them saying Hmmm can't you do that like this! hehe.
I asked Jen when she is available for another class, she's really busy so will get back to me when she can. She said Liz volunteered to host one too. I can't wait to have another class!!! It was so great learning all of her techniques!!!
Ohh I popped in her Dvd's that last day after class in my hotel room. My family and I were just staring in awe!! lol. Her Dvd's are awesome!!! I can't wait to do some ordering on her site and get going!! It was good to see you posting about the class. Hope we can take the next one together again!

Jessica

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #12 of 60

Hey Jen, I have a question -- in your chocolate fondant video, there comes a point where you are kneading the fondant and you say it's at this point you can add additional flavorings. I'm wondering what flavorings you've added in the past and how much you used? Mind sharing with us? icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #13 of 60

Thanks ladies!!!

Yes, Jessica, we will get that date figured out very soon! I would love to come back down to Orlando!!! Glad your family enjoyed watching it, too!!
Now your DH can do those fancy techniques!! icon_biggrin.gif

BobWB.....Of course I don't mind.... I use a little cream bouquet and a little almond. Per batch of the choc. fondant, I probably use 1/2-1 t. cream b. and 1/4 t. almond.
Makes for a nice combination. I thought I said that on the DVD 1, hope I did! I know it can be hard to catch every detail......

Jen icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #14 of 60

Thanks Jen! You may well have said that, I just don't recall. I'm making a batch this weekend! Will let you know how it goes! icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:45am
post #15 of 60

Please do BobWb...hope you like it!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:46am
post #16 of 60

Please do BobWb...hope you like it!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:27am
post #17 of 60

Hey Jessica - I know I can't wait for Jennifer to come back FL. My husband was really impressed with my flowers. He couldn't believe I made them. He has witnessed my futile attempts at sugar flowers at home before, so he was in awe of these.

It would be great to take another class together. We really had a blast. Keep in touch.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:15pm
post #18 of 60

Jennifer - I love your DVDs! I'm in the process now of trying to make just a small batch of pearl clay and a small batch of chocolate fondant using Satin Ice. I don't have pettinice and since I too live in the Boonies, there is no place around here that I know of that has it. I drove to a place today about an hour ride from me to get the Merckins white choc. WOW is that good! Unfortunately the only had the Satin Ice. I'm leary of having fondant shipped in this summer heat! I do want to try it with the pettinice though. I'm wondering, is there much difference in the flavor between Satin Ice and Pettinice?

I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

JenniferMI Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #19 of 60

Hi Price!

I'm SO happy you like the DVD's!!!

I had a friend try Satin Ice and she said it was really soft and sagged icon_sad.gif

I think the flavor of the two is somewhat similar, but adding the choc. mixture to it changes it drastically.

You can try it and see how it comes out. Let us know.... Satin Ice is not a consistent consisency... sometimes it's softer than other times.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Price Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #20 of 60

Thanks Jenn. As soon as the weather cools off I want to order some Pettinice to give it a try.

JenniferMI Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #21 of 60

Price -

I really don't think we have to worry about the heat with fondant. If it comes soft, just pop in frig to firm back up or add some sugar to it.

Anyone had any bad experiences with shipped fondant in the summer? I'm curious. I've had it shipped to me before and never had any issues.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Price Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #22 of 60

Thanks! I guess I just assumed it wouldn't be good for the fondant to be sitting in a hot UPS truck all day! That's good to know.

BTW - I just got a chance to take a look at the pearl clay and choc. fondant that I made earlier today with the Satin Ice. It seems to have firmed up nicely. I didn't have a cake to make tonight so I just took a little piece off of each and rolled it out. It really worked nicely. I guess the real test will be when I actually use it on a cake. I will let you all know how it works out.

JenniferMI Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #23 of 60

Thanks Price!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:16am
post #24 of 60

Keep us updated, Price! I have a TON of Satin Ice, and I don't want to waste it, but I soooo want to use Jennifer's recipe...dang, why weren't these dvds around BEFORE I bought the farm in Satin Ice icon_lol.gif!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #25 of 60

I can only get Satin Ice in my area and the regular white Merckins Chocolate. Has anyone tried these together?

superstar Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:20am
post #26 of 60

I don't have any fondant cakes at the moment, but when I do I wll let you know how Jen's recipe works with Fondx.

JenniferMI Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:22am
post #27 of 60

Thanks ladies!

Who knows, my friend could have gotten a soft batch of Satin Ice or maybe her room was really warm.... it will be interesting to hear your results.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Price Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:55am
post #28 of 60

fluttercakes - I'll post as soon as I try it. Who knows if I have time I might just have to come up with an excuse to decorate a cake this weekend. icon_biggrin.gif I have some small cakes in the freezer that I made with some leftover batter! I can't wait to try it. I just wish I had one of the lace molds! They are so pretty. I can't wait to get one.

The Merkins Choc. is really tasty! I did a taste test on that too. As soon as we got home, my sister and I tasted the Merkins and then tasted one of the candy melts I had gotten from either AC Moore or Michaels. The Merkins won hands down! Luckily I found a place that carries the Merkins, they're just about 50 minutes from me. I wish they had the pettinice. I'd love to try that too to compare it against the Satin Ice.

Jennifer - You might have mentioned it in the DVD, but what do I have to use to color the choc fondant and pearl clay? Can gel color be used or will it not work because of the chocolate?

JenniferMI Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:05pm
post #29 of 60

Price -

That is in the DVD, but I don't mind telling you again, not a problem. I use mostly Americolor gels to color the choc. fondant and the pearl clay.
With the fondant, if you are adding LOTS of color to make a deep color, you might have issues. If I'm making a deep color, I either use powdered color or use my airbrush.

IMPORTANT: If you are coloring the pearl clay. You more than likely will have some lumps in it. Place in micro and nuke till VERY soft and warm, but be very careful not to melt it. Knead it up good and the lumps will knead out from the warm of the clay.

If you have any more questions, please ask away!

Jen icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:35pm
post #30 of 60

Has anyone tried to make the chocolate fondant with milk or dark chocolate wafers? Jennifer or anyone? I was thinking of trying it, but if it is a flop I won't waste the ingredients. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%