Why Can't Mt Husband.....

Lounge By mellormom Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm by seasonsmoke

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 23

Start the dishwasher. I should be complaining because he is very good at loading it but he can't seem to get the soap in and press start. So in the morning when I go to empty it the dishes are dirty and I have to start the dishwasher and wait to do the dishes. Mean while all the days dishes are piling up.
Just a little vent. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

22 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 23

Oh yeah, I understand where youre coming from. Mibe doesn't even bother to look to see if the dishwasher is empty, just throws his stuff in the sink. And if he actually does run the dishwasher, he expects me to be so freakin' grateful that I immediately strip my clothes off and run upstairs to properly thank him. icon_wink.gif

knjmom67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knjmom67 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 23

For the same reasons they can't manage to put a new liner in after emptying the garbage, can't put a new roll of toilet paper on the holder, can't take off their shorts, underwear and socks one at a time (instead of just one action/motion where everything from the waist down ends up in a ball on the floor), can't put the twistie back on the bread bag, and can't seem to reunite the Sports section of the newspaper with it's friends, Front Page and Classifieds...
All of these acts would mean they would have to think of someone other than themselves, and some may take longer than the average television commercial lasts.
But I haven't really given it much thought...

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 23

Well let me tell ya ladies...It's not just the men....how is it that I can work full time, do the majority of the cooking, decorate cakes, keep the house clean, have the laundry done and still icon_surprised.gif manage to put MY OWN dirty clothes in the hamper icon_surprised.gif ..............................funny how some of us get to come home and relax in front of the tv and others of us get to start our second jobs icon_cry.gif

We had some new friends over about a week ago......and as I scurried around the house making sure everything was taken care of ....ya know the house, our guests......one of our friends says to my partner......does she ever sit down and relax.....my partner actually said "NO...SHE LIKES TO BE BUSY" I just wanted to cry!

athompson0525 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athompson0525 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #5 of 23

I so feel your pain. Mine will load the dishwasher if I ask him but won't put the soap in nor will he wipe down the counter or the table. He is learning about where to put his laundry. Tends to pile it beside the bed. I won't pick it up on laundry day then he complains that he doesn't have any work shirts clean.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Oh yeah, I understand where youre coming from. Mibe doesn't even bother to look to see if the dishwasher is empty, just throws his stuff in the sink. And if he actually does run the dishwasher, he expects me to be so freakin' grateful that I immediately strip my clothes off and run upstairs to properly thank him. icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gif You made me laugh out loud!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Hahahahaha!!! Just like a man for ya!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:18am
post #8 of 23

My husband thinks the couch is his dishwasher...I'm always finding his dishes filed in it. He thinks the kids are his busboys, the bathroom floor is his trash can, and the bedroom floor is his hamper. I've tried piling up his mess on his side of the bed but he just shoves it over to mine and says he's glad I've decided to do some laundry.

He rides in the car a lot more than we do, and it's usually so full of trash that we have to throw some out if we need to go somewhere because otherwise there's no room for our feet.

mellormom Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 23

Thanks for replying I needed a good laugh! Mine also can't seem to lift the toilet seat either. That's right I said lift it! So I sit down to go and.....
He actually thinks he makes it in too. LOL
Jen...

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 23

All I can say is at least you have a dishwasher. I'm the dishwasher in my house. Unfortunatley my kitchen is so small that unless I pull cabinets out to put one in, I won't be getting one. I can say that at least I'm starting to get help. My 9 yr old DD is helping me now. My DH tried to do dishes for me once, but I'm so particular on how it's done that I won't let him do it anymore. He just doesn't do it right. Well he doesn't do it my way. icon_wink.gif I think I have OCD issues. icon_lol.gif Anyways I can at least teach my DD how to do it the right way. Maybe one day I won't have to do then as often.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #11 of 23

Consider yourself lucky that he loads it! My hubby can't manage to even do that among other things around the house! Vent away! You guys crack me up! I told my hubby one day when I just had enough that I'm going to start throwing them away and buy all new if I didn't get some help once in awhile!

Kelley

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #12 of 23

Mine's the same. We've been married 12 years now and he's done 2 loads of washing in that time.

Also, he does'nt support my cake decorating business. I never ask him for any help but everytime I'm making cakes he rolls his eyes and shakes his head as if I'm wasting time when all I'm trying to do is make some extra money to help us out. I'm really frustrated now because last night he told me he made an appoint for our accountant to come over & do our taxes on the same night I have a taste testing. He didn't even check with me! He gives me no support whatsoever and it's really bugging me.

Sorry, just realised how much I was venting.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:37pm
post #13 of 23

OK ladies this is going to get me kicked out of the man's club LOLOL. Why do we do this stuff, because we can. It's that simple. We know you will pick our clothes up, turn the dishwasher on, wash the clothes.

Mike

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 23

Okay, so I pretty much handle the housework (mostly because my idea of clean is so different from his). But, my husband cooks a lot and does dishes and he does all of the yardwork, home repairs and car stuff. Seems like a fair trade.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 11:18pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

OK ladies this is going to get me kicked out of the man's club LOLOL. Why do we do this stuff, because we can. It's that simple. We know you will pick our clothes up, turn the dishwasher on, wash the clothes.

Mike

which is why my Mom's advice to me when I was getting married was to ruin the first load of laundry LOL .... I didnt do it, but neither did I take over all of the housework. Even now that I am a SAHM, my hubby still helps me out. I am pretty lucky.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:57am
post #16 of 23

This reply comes from the child of a Dad who does nothing. My mum has been a SAHM for the past 25 years. My Dad was Merchant Navy (now retired) so was away most of the year leaving my mum brother and me. He didnt do anything then but now he is retired he does even less. I help my mum out as much as I can ( I work full time and make cakes on any days off I have and in the evenings) I cook I run errands I clean and tidy. My Dad sits at his computer playing solitaire or watching tv all day in his "cabin" as we call it used to be a library for my mum. He came home and took it over. He wont eat the same as everyone else. Whinges that the food isnt good enough or " it's not how the philipinos made it" Well im sorry I don't cook like a philipino galley worker!! I obviously am not going to be able to. He always finds something to pick at. He does his own washing but if there is anything in the washer when he wants to use it he just takes it out and throws it on the floor wet or not or stomps around the house like a small child. He complains that our stuff is all over the place when it is his stuff building up on any flat work surface. Says we use too much electrcity Im sorry but Im out of the house 12 hours or more a day. He treats my mum like S£$*. Doesnt give her any money for herself while he can buy himself whatever he wants when he wants. Guards the bank account like a sodding guard dog checking it online everyday. Making her tell him what any charged are He questioned her about a £3 charge on the phone bill i mean for ffs. I try to get my mum out of the house when I can because otherwise she doesnt go out. But his attitude when I do it is unacceptable. They have been married for 31 years. And I am told he hasnt always been like this but I dont remember him any other way.

Sorry I just realised Im ranting away.

mellormom Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:12am
post #17 of 23

Sounds like he is a real PITA! Maybe your mom could join a club (one with a hobby she likes.) But then again that would be spending useless money (in your dad's opinion) Sounds like he needs a good kick in the pants! If I were there I would give him him one for you. LOL
Jen...

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:47am
post #18 of 23

So I bought blinds for all our windows. A YEAR later, DH finally puts up not quite half of them. A year after that, I asked for an electric drill for my birthday, so I start putting them up. I am not standing on the chair 10 seconds before DH is standing beside me: "you're doing it wrong" "you're not holding it right" "you have to press down harder". I cannot believe how close he came to having a 4 inch hole drilled in his head. Finally he says "do you want me to just do it". I said "YES, I HAVE WANTED YOU TO DO IT FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS". And even at that, I still ended up doing a few of them myself.

I bought a new faucet almost a year ago. The one we have is so corroded that chunks of it literally come off in my hands whenever I clean it. He told me to clean out under the sink so he could put it in. Hunh? Taking stuff out from under the sink is beneath him but just right for me? Does he hop to it and get things ready for me whenever I have a job to do? Don't think so.

Oh, and laundry. Well, actually, I like laundry, because it is so easy to go on laundry strike against him but I can still have clean clothes for me and the boys. I am bad about not getting stuff put away. I would leave the laundry basket on the bed. And I swear he never ONCE put the basket on the floor, he would just shove it over onto my side. And he used to fold his DIRTY socks into that sock knot. I finally flipped out on him after we had been married for 7 years, and he was so surprised. He thought he was helping me because then you could tell they were the dirty ones, since all his socks are the same so the clean ones get thrown in the drawer unfolded.

Idiot.

mellormom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:34am
post #19 of 23

My husband procrastinates too. But the worst is when he thinks out loud. I'm going to do this and I'm going to do that and we are going to have this great thing. All talk! When we get a dog he is going to come to work with me and It will be so great, yada, yada, yada. Guess who ended up taking care of the Dog he so desperately wanted! He does walk her though. Also from the day I met him he was going to buy a boat. He can afford the payments, this is the year he is going to buy one! I've known him for 9 years and we just got a boat 2 years ago and only because his friend who sells them was quiting the boat business so he had too. Otherwise we still wouldn't have a boat and he would still be saying this is the year, I'm deffanately buying a boat this year. When he said he was actually going to buy one I didn't believe him until I was at the boat place picking it up with him.
Or nothing in my house can be partially done. So we can't paint a room until he is ready to do the whole room over. No matter how ugly the paint job is! Or the wallpaper. Thanks goodness most of the rooms are done now! The house was stuck in the 60's and all I wanted to do was take the awful bathroom wallpaper off. I must say though once he completes a room it does look fab.
He also can't buy anything unless it is expensive. He has to have the best no matter how much it costs. Sometimes he just buys it because it is more expensive. (more expensive means better in case you didn't know)
One time I came home and there was a $2000 amplifier for the TV on my door step. When he gets home he tells me oh yeah I bought this for the TV. Then he proceeds to put it down stairs in storage. So I asked him why he didn't hook it up and he said, "Oh we can't possibly use it with our speakers it would blow them out!" I said "then why did you buy it?" Well you have to buy these things in stages you know. Luckily he came to his senses and sold it after he never was able to afford the other pieces.
Thanks for letting my rant again! LOL Don't worry I love my husband and I wouldn't trade him for the world. (most days! icon_wink.gif )
Jen...

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

Mike

Oooh, Mike-you brave, brave man, you. Thanks for the insight, but on the other hand, when we do get on the men to do anything resembling a chore, it's then called nagging and we become "Nags" icon_surprised.gif .

Also, didn't anyone see the episode on Everybody Loves Raymond? The one where they are planning Roberts wedding and Ray teaches Robert how to "mess" up stuff on purpose so the wives will think they are incapable of doing even simple things and will do it themselves????!!!
Bottom line, no help, no lovin'. icon_lol.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:22am
post #21 of 23

I've always been thankful that my husband is willing and eager to do his share of the housework, but the stories on here have helped remind me of that. Although this one time, I had fixed dinner and put the roasting pan in the sink to soak and wash a little later. Well, you know how things come about when you have a task to do and you end up not getting that task done. So the next day I stood in the kitchen looking at the pan and decided I didn't want to wash it. So I left it there thinking Mikey would do it. A day later I start thinking "hm, I wonder how long it's going to sit there before he does it?" Now normally, I do not allow this to happen, but that pan sat in my sink for a week! Finally I washed it and as I did so, I mentioned to Mikey that I was waiting to see how long it would take him to wash it, then he says "I was doing the same thing!" Not completely convinced that he was honest with that reply, but we got a laugh out of it anyway.

There is one thing that my Mike does that I will admit bothers me a bit. Just a little annoying. He works with computers and one of his hobbies is to find new screensavers and desktops and just free little gadgets/software for his computer. Almost everyday he says "wanna see my new desktop?" with this really happy/giddy smile on his face. Endearing!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:36am
post #22 of 23

Ladies, I moved out of our bathroom. Lock, stock and barrel, it's all his now. I wasn't the one leaving little beard hairs on the sink so they could dry up and be hard to scrape off BY HIS WIFE, so I stopped cleaning it. I wasn't the one peeing on the floor (what is wrong the the male aim when the target is a big porcelain bowl?) so I stopped mopping it. I wasn't the one spitting toothpaste on the mirror and not wiping it off while it was wet, so I stopped cleaning it.

It took him MONTHS to figure out how to clean a sink, a bathtub and a toilet, but he finally figured out (after MONTHS!!!) that it wasn't going to clean itself. He cleans his own bathroom. I. Will. Not. Touch it.

And no, I"m not moving back in. If I do, he'll suddenly get a case of "I don't know how!" to clean a bathroom!

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #23 of 23

I will be married 3 years in Nov. My husband works a nice 8 hour job. I work longer hours. He does do a fair share of work around he house. I don't really touch much outside. He does his own laundry. He is the one always pushing me to do more cleaning to keep up with him. I guess I don't have a normal husband.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%