Didn't You Know Everyone Decorates???

Decorating By simplysweet72740 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 5:35pm by sweettoothmom

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #61 of 68

Being a former manager in a couple of customer service industries, I can tell you that her behavior was a power play. She wanted to guilt you about your price, thus trying to get you to reduce it. You could have quoted her $300 for all, and she still would have complained, trying to get you to bring your price down.

Heck, for that price, you can do all my cakes! I don't know what your market is like, but I think your price is way too low. The minimum on that cake here, by an independent bakery, would have been $2.50 per serve, or $1,125, plus amenities and delivery. I hope you consider raising your prices a bit.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #62 of 68

Yes, the custom bakers here get $3.00 per serving for buttercream and $5.00 per serving for fondant.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:24pm
post #63 of 68

Ah Yes....the "Anyone can Decorate line"..Good ridence I say!!! Let her buy a Walmart cake!!!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #64 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Mac, I think they should have a decline-button(s):

"Declined because bride is an idiot and I dont' have time to deal with stupidity"

"Declined because the delivery charge to bride's neighborhood of Fantasy Drive would be too high"

"Declined because I only work in the world of reality"

You would think I would have learned by now to NOT be drinking anything when reading indydebi's posts...but alas, my screen needs to be cleaned again!! icon_lol.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #65 of 68

lol. I hope I get to meet you if I can go to ICES next year indydebi. Geesh, you crack me up. Just the right "bite" of attitude for me. It's something I look for in my friends!

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:47pm
post #66 of 68

It amazes me that people seem to rationalize and simplify it to just eggs, flour, sugar and frosting. How expensive can it be. But like I told a really confused little old lady upset with my $2.50 a serving price, it is art. You would never walk into a gallery and tell the artist that thier work is only worth xxx amount becuase it is just a canvas and some paint.
It is what the decorator or artist does to the cake that you are paying for.
Subway has "sandwich artists" in cake decorating we are edible art artists. So with that said I think we all maybe charging way too little. Since our "art" is consummed ccompletly after it is created doesnt that make it priceless!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:08pm
post #67 of 68

Not taking her side, but I bet she has never ordered a cake from a baker in her life. Before I started my cake "hobby", I never imagined the work and the detail that went into a cake (and I'm sure alot of you are nodding your head), so when I got into it and took a class I was amazed. It is an intense, nervewracking, time consuming art. I'm sure after she visits her 5th bakery, she'll start getting the idea that those are, indeed, the price she is going to have to pay. So, don't be surprised if she shows back up at your doorstep feeling sheepish icon_redface.gif .

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:35pm
post #68 of 68

I think u r right. This bride is unaware. Hi ho hi ho its off to educate brides we go. whistle whistle whistle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%