Purse Help

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm by Joyful1216

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake for my sister in law to match her prada purse. My brither bought it fo rher in Italy and she LOVES it.
She calls it "prady". I never made a purse cake and i need some help. I saw the tutorial but i still have some questions. The purse is a very soft leather, it does not stand up on its own. so how can i replacate the look. Also the bag is black with a shimery silver undertone.
Oh, the cake also needs to be sturdy to drive 200 miles. and i am not driving it my dad is, so it needs to be strong. Any help i would appreciate.
here is a picture of the purse.
thanks in advance.
-Shira
LL

2 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 3

just because the purse is soft leather doesn't mean that you have to completely stick to that with your cake. you may have to sacrifice a small bit in design accuracy to achieve a successfully delivered cake.

i would stack my layers, and then carve the bottom layers much wider, as if the purse is "sagging". you could even carve some "ripples" into the layers...just make sure to overexaggerate them, since the fondant will mute the effect, once it's smoothed on.

dowel the heck out of it, and make it a special box to travel in that does not give it much room to slide around in. drill it into your fathers head that sudden stops are not an option, and that all corners need to be extremely wide and rounded, not 90 degrees!!!!!!!!

keep us posted

Joyful1216 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful1216 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 3

I've never made a purse cake, but your photo reminded me of the Antique Velvet Purse cake in Colette's Birthday Cakes book. http://www.colettescakes.com/book_cc_bdy.html# If the photo doesn't show, it's under "signs of the zodiac".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%