Ganache As Filling

Decorating By stampinron Updated 30 Jun 2013 , 4:16pm by KateCoughlin

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:18am
post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

can anyone show us a picture of what whipped ganache looks like? do you just put it in the mixer straight from the fridge?

i love ganache but have never tried to whip it. you guys are making me crave chocolate! you're bad! LOL

I don't have a pic but I do have an answer for the other part of your question: you don't want the ganache COLD before whipping, you only want it room temperature (if it's cold it'll just be hard). I sometimes put it in the fridge covered in plastic wrap (on the surface of the ganache) to hasten the cooling but then I take it out and let it sit to make sure it's room temp.

Whipped ganache really just looks like chocolate icing, or the inside of a truffle (since it's basically just a truffle). One key result is that it gets a little bit lighter in color. I use dark chocolate, around 65%, and I can tell you that stuff gets seriously FIRM! I piped a basketweave on a cake with it. It's still smooth and creamy to bite into, though, just like the inside of a truffle.

Ironically I actually LIKE to use dark chocolate whipped ganache as my dam because it sticks the cake together like glue. I use a 1:1 ratio of 65% chocolate and heavy cream (40% fat)...bring cream just to a boil, pour over chopped chocolate, allow to sit for 1 minute then whisk till smooth. Then whisk in 1 tbsp unsalted butter (appx, for I think 6oz choc/6oz cream) and 1 tsp vanilla. Cool to room temp before whipping. Mine only takes about...30 seconds till it's whipped...a minute? NOT long at all. If you overwhip it it becomes grainy and is destroyed.

I tried melysa's delicious milk chocolate w.ganache and it is great! but much softer than dark choc. ganache so a little more "slippery" inside my cake.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:58am
post #32 of 59

ANYTHING you ever wanted to know about ganache.........
http://www.baking911.com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:41am
post #33 of 59

grama can you type out the link please...that one does nto work. Thanks a bunch

grama_j Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:11pm
post #34 of 59
grama_j Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:16pm
post #35 of 59

WELL RATS ! icon_mad.gif

Try THIS......

www.baking911.com/chocolate/ganache_truffels.htm

grama_j Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:19pm
post #36 of 59

I don't know what is wrong.... I have it in my favorites on my computer and it comes right up......

http://www.baking911.com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm

grama_j Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:20pm
post #37 of 59

I'm sorry..... for some reason, it won't take the entire url even when I type it out by hand..... how odd !!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm
post #38 of 59

Grama leave off the http://www or insert spaces into the link and it should show up, just won't be clickable.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:10pm
post #39 of 59

Grama_j, you're trying to post a blocked site's webpage. You can insert spaces into the word in another thread so we can type it in manually. It might be because you need to pay to view most of its site.

I have whipped cold ganache with no issues. I've never waited until it was RT.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:02pm
post #40 of 59

For my ganache/truffle filling I use -

12oz of chocolate (your choice)
2/3 cups heavy cream
2 tbl sugar
2 tbl butter
flavoring of choice.

Heat the cream to just boiling, add sugar and butter, stir until dissolved. Pour over chocolate.Let sit 5 mins and then stir chocolate until smooth. Stir in flavor.
Pour into a 9X13 baking dish (cools faster then in a bowl).
Cool in fridge.
Microwave until it is spreadable and then fill the cake (with a bc dam) and then refridgerate the cake until the filling is firm again.
The filling will remain firm, even at room temp, just like a truffle, it will only melt once you eat it.

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #41 of 59

wow, thanks yourstrulytx... thumbs_up.gif

i'm so excited to try your recipe. i'll be baking a vanilla cake and i'm planning to make a white choco ganache using your recipe for my father-in-law's bithday... i've read about using white chocolate in baking and it's quite scary. you might have any tips that you can share? icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:12am
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

I don't know what is wrong.... I have it in my favorites on my computer and it comes right up......

http://www..com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm

(Raises hand) I know I know!

This is the b aking 911 website, I believe it's something like they do not allow other websites to provide direct links to their content, so CC has to block the domain name when typed in. Or some other issue like that.

Anyway I recognized the link even without the domain name cuz that is like my BIBLE resource for ganache. Lots of good info. To access the website simply type in www.ba*king*911.com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm WITHOUT the asterisks. This trick works for any blocked site such as s*ugarcr*aft (why you'd want to access them is beyond me but sometimes people here are referring to the artform rather than the website) and a few others I've noticed are blocked.

maimai16 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #43 of 59

i also read just yesterday the articles about ganche and truffles at b*aking*911... it is so informative. lots of tips and they also have recipe that you can try.

maimai16 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:15pm
post #44 of 59

here's the cake i made, it is a 4 layer cake with chocolate mousse as its filling... then covered with chocolate ganache. it was like an ice cream cake rich in chocolate flavor.

thanks so much for all the help... CC rocks!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:31pm
post #45 of 59

Well if that doesn't look delish!! Oh my!!!!!

Milk chocolate ganache is my most popular filling. All I do is take equal party high quality milk chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream. Pour the hot whipping cream over the chips and mix it with my hand whisk. I set mine in an ice bath and occasionally whip it with my hand whisk. This process works fine for me because I make my filling and then put it directly on my cake, with a dam. Sometimes I'll take it from the ice bath and put it in my KA and whip it on high for a minute or two to fluff it up. Works like a charm and is so creamy too. It's also great to use to ice a cake with especially an Angel Food! I have a few pics in my photos where I have iced an AF cake with MCG!

Amy

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:13pm
post #46 of 59

Thank you all for these wonderful recipies....CC is a cake decorators paradiseicon_smile.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:28pm
post #47 of 59

You're very welcome! You need it, we've got it!!! Just ask if you can't find it!

Amy

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:19pm
post #48 of 59

For my chocolate ganache, I use 2 cups heavy cream, bring to a simmer and add 16 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate. I do not use chips I use the ghiradelli bars. Once I mix the two I refrigerate for up to two hours, as it cools it thickens, and I stir it about every 30 minutes. After two hour it is perfect for piping or icing cake!!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:39pm
post #49 of 59

I haven't read all the responses, but wanted to add my 2 cents! When I use ganache as a filling, I make it and then refrigerate it - when it comes time to use it, I put in between 2 layers of saran wrap and roll it out to the diameter I need with a rolling pin.....that way is it the "fudge" consistency, which is really hard to spread - rolling it works like a charm....I then just set it on the cake - easy and no torn cake or mess!

whaley_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whaley_s Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #50 of 59

I have a question... If I want to make this a white chocolate ganache... The 911 site says use 1 part cream to 3 parts white chocolate... So that means I can just use 1 cup of cream to 3 cups of white chocolate, then do all the other directions as it says? How much will this make? If I need more ganache should I use 2 cups of cream and 6?? cups of white chocolate?

Thanks!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:06pm
post #51 of 59

Loucinda--I have used that method with peanut butter ball filling and put it between layers of choc. cake, Never thought to do that with thick ganache.

ceshell Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:40am
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaley_s

I have a question... If I want to make this a white chocolate ganache... The 911 site says use 1 part cream to 3 parts white chocolate... So that means I can just use 1 cup of cream to 3 cups of white chocolate, then do all the other directions as it says? How much will this make? If I need more ganache should I use 2 cups of cream and 6?? cups of white chocolate?

Thanks!

You're sort of on track, but it would be better if you had a scale so that you could weigh your white chips. Technically it would be 1 cup of cream (8oz) to 24oz of white choc chips. I'm not sure if 3 cups dry measure will yield you 24oz. Of course if you don't want to deal with measuring chips at all, you could do the reverse math: how many oz is your bag of chips? Just use the whole bag and divide by 3 to determine how much cream to add.

And yep, if you wanted 2x as much ganache, you would just double those quantities. It's just a ratio so it extrapolates to any amount.

I'm not sure how much ganache you'd get as a result though, it seems like it would be the combined weight so if you had 8oz cream, 24oz chips, you'd get 32oz ganache. Since it's liquid at that point, it may actually come out to 4 cups.

Hope that made sense!

whaley_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whaley_s Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:02am
post #53 of 59

Thanks!
I just used a recipe I found on here for the white chocolate ganache. I have yet to whip it so we'll see how it turns out!

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:30pm
post #54 of 59

I filled a cake with ganache earlier this week. I made the ganache, chilled it, and then just whipped it with a whisk. I did a bc dam, and then spread the ganache - it went on like a dream. It was so smooth and easy to spread. It set up very well and was beautiful in between the layers. Although I didn't ever have the cake outside except for transporting to my office, and it's only been around 85 degrees here this week so I can't tell you if it would have melted. I think it would have been fine though.

Ganache recipe:

8oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tablespoon light corn syrup

Heat cream and syrup on the stove top to near boiling
Cut the chocolate into small pieces in a mixing bowl
When cream mixture is heated, pour onto the chocolate and immediately start mixing with a whisk until the chocolate is totally melted and you have a thin ganache.

At that point depending on whether I'm pouring it on top of a cake or using it for filling, I either use it or put it in the fridge.

Good luck on your cake!

valerie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerie01 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:27pm
post #55 of 59

This could be a silly question....

After whipping ganache, does it need to be used immediately? Can I whip it and then refrigerate it for use the next day?

Also, any long term storage options, besides me eating it. icon_smile.gif

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie01

This could be a silly question....

After whipping ganache, does it need to be used immediately? Can I whip it and then refrigerate it for use the next day?

Also, any long term storage options, besides me eating it. icon_smile.gif

I'm fairly certain you can whip it and use it the next day, or you can just wait until the next day to whip it!

As far as long term storage, I keep my extra in the freezer. I've kept it in there for a month or so and it comes out great. But of course if you're not into freezing extras, you'll just have to eat what you have leftover! icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm
post #57 of 59

I agree with DollyCakes, I'd just wait til the next day to whip it. It usually takes less than 1 minute to whip so it's not much of a timesaver to whip in advance. It can be stored at room temp overnight or you can put it in the fridge (plastic wrap on top of the ganache) but be sure to let it return to room temp before whipping!

Freezer for long term storage, definitely! Much better option than eating it all yourself, which is far too easy to do icon_wink.gif

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:58pm
post #58 of 59

I have never tried ganache as filling and am certainly ingtirgued! yum!

KateCoughlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateCoughlin Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 4:16pm
post #59 of 59

Dollycakes method of adding a tablespoon of corn syrup really worked for me!  Corn syrup prevents crystallization - a technique I was familiar with from America's Test Kitchen homemade ice cream recipes.  Since I was in a rush to make my ganache this was a huge help since I couldn't let it setup at room temp like some advise (claiming refrigeration and freezing with impair its texture) so into the freezer it went.  This really did whip up beautifully and spread onto my cake layers with ease.  I was glad I used this recipe for my first try as it did seem more stable than a standard ganache.  I was transporting my cakes in extreme summer heat over an hour away.  But the cakes and the ganache stood the test - everything arrived as it should and most importantly tasted great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%