tjthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjthecakelady Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #1 of 15

what is the viva secret

14 replies
poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:34am
post #2 of 15

First you will want to start with a good crusting buttercream icing. After the icing has set up for 10-15 minutes take your paper towel and lay it on the icing. Gently press the paper towel to smooth out any air bubbles or bumps in the icing. If your icing has not crusted it will get stuck in the paper towel. You can also use a fondant smoother on top of the paper towel to help smooth the icing.

HTH

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 15

after frosting your cake in buttercream, let it crust over and then lay a viva paper towel on top of the cake and smooth out with your fingers and palms. hth icon_smile.gif

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:43am
post #4 of 15

does this really work? it seems to easy to believe!

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:47am
post #5 of 15

It works and I am so glad I found this trick. All my cakes are covered in buttercream and I use the Viva method. Some think looking at my cakes that they are fondant becasue they are all so smooth. Its all buttercream and Viva method.

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:49am
post #6 of 15

does it have to be Viva or will any paper towel work?

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

It works and I am so glad I found this trick. All my cakes are covered in buttercream and I use the Viva method. Some think looking at my cakes that they are fondant becasue they are all so smooth. Its all buttercream and Viva method.

Do you know any tricks for smoothing smbc?

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:51am
post #8 of 15

No, I only use Viva....you will love it, so easy, so quick!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:56am
post #9 of 15

i've used other paper towels that had impressions on them and it worked fine. icon_wink.gif

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:12am
post #10 of 15

I, too, love this method. Make sure you look at your viva to find the smooth side. One side is rougher than the other. The smooth side is what's on the outside of the roll when you unroll it (make sense??). This works like a charm just like the others have said. And if your icing is sticking to the towel, wait 10 or 15 minutes for it to crust and try again with a clean towel. Piece of cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

angelcakes5 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:54am
post #11 of 15

I only use buttercream so I am sorry I dont have any other tips for smoothing. Unless you use the hot water spatula way. Where you stick you spatula in hote water wipe off and then smooth the cake. I use to use this before Viva. I know others have used paper towels with imprints to make different designs on the cakes and they have looked very nice. I have never tried this yet.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

Do you know any tricks for smoothing smbc?

I like to spray the cake with a hot water bottle, and then smooth with a bowl scraper. I LOVE the bowl scraper. I use it now on regular BC too, and I find it works much better than a metal bench scraper because it has some give to it...so it doesn't leave marks on the cake. Some bowl scrapers work better than others...

Plus, with SMBC you can just pop the cake in the fridge to let it firm up and then smooth it using the same method.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:23pm
post #13 of 15

The reason for Viva is that the others have paterns on them and thattransfers to the cake. I use my hands to smooth with bu others use fondant smoothers so you have to see what works for you. After you smooth with the viva you can use computer paper to smooth even further and it gives it a shiny and much smoother look.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 15

angelcakes -

Wow! Your cakes are smooth. And all beautiful.

angelcakes5 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:58pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks! I wanted to add too. I usually go around the whole cake smoothing with my hand. Then the second time around I use the fondant smoother to try to make crisper edges and so it looks even smoother. Good luck to all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%