Chunky Monkeys

Lounge By Mencked Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 10:28am by minicuppie

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:29am
post #151 of 430

I'm still around, just soaking in the medical issue. I know it'll be weeks, maybe months, before my thyroid meds start working properly, but I'm so impatient. I want to lose weight and I want to lose it now! The only way to do that with my current issue is to completely cut off anything good and to add exercise.

The issue is that I don't have the energy to exercise (I work in front of a computer all day and when I get home I need a nap right now), and I refuse to deprive myself. Limit, yes, deprive, no.

I just need to stick with sensible choices for the time being, and hope that eventually with the meds, it pays off. icon_sad.gif

It's just so discouraging.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:46pm
post #152 of 430

I think I stated before that school started this week. I'm taking full load at the community college. On M and W I have to drive to campus because it's far away and very unsafe to ride my bike or walk. On T and Th I have classes at my local campus. I got the bright idea to ride my bike to school on Tues and Thur. Yesterday was the first day of doing this. I learned some VERY valuable lessons for future ventures into this process.

1. Don't bother taking a change of clothes. I was going to take a change of clothes so that I could change into regular clothes after aerobics class. This is bad for a couple of reasons. I have no place to store the change of clothes and I do not have room in my backpack to haul them back and forth every day. Also, wearing non comfy clothes to ride my bike home was a mistake. My denim capris were miserable to try and ride my bike in. I was sweaty and they stuck to me and greatly restricted my leg movement.

2. Don't take all my books to classes. Edit what I absolutely have to take so that I don't add bruises to the bruises I have already created around my shoulders and into the arm pits. I also got several bruises on my lower arms and wrists as a result of trying to get my back pack on and off my back with 25+ lbs of weight in it.

3. Don't stop for any reason if peddling up hill. It's nearly impossible for a 300lb woman to start a bike moving from dead stop while gonig up an incline.

In other news, and these are the good points of the day:

Walking around campus with my back pack (which weighed about 25 lbs) was a whole lot easier than walking around campus with my books and the 70 extra lbs I had last semester.

Sitting in the regular desks (chair built into writing surface they call a desk in college) was not a problem for the first time since starting at this campus. I got some gum on my shirt because some bonehead left it under the writing surface, but I was comfortable the entire class and I didn't bruise my belly sliding in and out.

There are foods that I think will be OK to eat at the campus cafe. Although the Chicken Teriyaki will not be tried again. It was way too much food, way too expensive and I wasn't impressed. Fortunately I only have to consider eating on campus for 2 meals a week. I just don't have room in my backpack to carry lunch on the days I ride my bike.

I met another student who had bypass surgery a year ago. We exchanged numbers and I'm really looking forward to getting to know her more. We dont' have any classes together, but it's cool to have stumbled upon her.

So all in all a good day. My arms are sore from my backpack, my butt is sore from my bike, and I'm tired, but overall feeling pretty good about this decision.

And the bad news, I've been hovering about 303 lbs for 2+ weeks. I got below 300 twice, thought it was for real, and then NOPE. I'm really hoping the change in schedule (being out of the house more) and the added aerobics class and bike riding will spur the weight loss again.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:04pm
post #153 of 430

Deb, honey if riding that bike twice a week doesn't spur on any more weight loss then I think we should all just give up. thumbs_up.gif Give your body tine to adjust to your new schedule and I'm sure you will see the pounds start to shead off.

I'm counting down the days until next Monday which is my next weigh in time. I want to see that scale move. Surely by that point I will see a difference. I just want a pound, I'm not greedy. HeHe.

Someone asked about the speeds on the treadmill, sorry I can't remember who at the moment. I started off at 3.0 and would work my way up to 3.5 by the end of the first mile and then to 3.8-4.0 at the end of the second. My incline was at 2. Because my legs were hurting I started slowing it down to see if that would help. The last few days I have started at 2.8 and worked my way up to 3.3 but the end. Today I did get back up to 3.6 by the end of the second, but it still hurt pretty bad at the end. Thankfully it only hurts when I'm on the treadmill so I push as much as I can and then my legs get a break. I also played with the incline some and did go up to 3.0 and 4.0 on it. Not the whole time, but here and there.

Mentally/Emotionally today has been alot better day and I have not felt the need to munch at all. Atleast so far. icon_smile.gif Of course I did have Whataburger for lunch today. Sigh. But I did have breakfast which I have skipped the last two days. We shall see what happens the rest of the week.

Hope all the Chunky Monkeys are doing well this week. HUGS everyone!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #154 of 430

Deb--your rules for biking to class were great!! Reminded me of the times I rode my bike to class and when I arrived I was such a smelly, sweaty mess I'm sure no one wanted to sit by me--and that was in my skinnier days--I tell you, I could be the poster child for some major antipersperant ad! I'm so happy for you about the desk--only someone of our size knows what that really feels like--YEAH YOU! TS-glad you're feeling better on the emo front and I can't wait until I can speed up some more on the treadmill--I'm still chugging along at 3.0! Everyone's got to start somewhere! Jade--good luck on picking good stuff to eat--we're thinking of you and med. issues! Go Chunky Monkeys!

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:39pm
post #155 of 430

Woo Hoo!!! Sounds like everyone is taking steps in the right direction!

Jade~Exercise is actually a great way to relax, think yoga,pilates, walking etc. The hardest part of it is getting to the gym, getting on the treadmill or whatever you need to do to start doing it....but once you're doing it and after you're done you'll feel great! You're emotionally gonna be stoked because you did what you knew you needed/wanted to do so you don't have to beat yourself up about not doing it later...plus physically you just feel better after exercising. So make time, even a few minutes, you may find that once you get started on 10min it turns into 15 and so on...And remember, you don't have to cut out everything, all is good in moderation. If you deny yourself things you will want them more and end up bingeing...

Deb~ Way to go with the bike-rides!!! I'm really proud of you. icon_biggrin.gif You're doing a great thing for yourself (physically and financially) and a great thing for the environment too! I'm glad that you've found a friend who has also had surgery. I'm sure there are things that you deal with that we cannot exactly relate to and I'm glad you found someone you can share those with.

TS~ I'm also glad to hear that you are feeling better. Having Whataburger every now and then is alright. Just make sure that you keep that in mind when it's time for dinner and go for the healthier options. And think about keeping healthier snacks around so that when you do feel like munching it doesn't kill your calorie intake. Munching (eating thoughout the day) can actually be good because it keeps your metabolism moving, just watch what you're munching on icon_wink.gif

Diane~ You'll get up there on the treadmill levels, just keep moving and push yourself a little at a time. If things get too easy go for longer or up something, whether it's the speed or the incline.

So this morning we ran up and down the sides if this hill here 4.5 times (on the .5 we ran up just one part and then walked down to finish) Then I met up with my friend Gloria and we did triceps and biceps with free-weights at the gym. I remember someone asking about exercises with free weights, here is a website with some exercises:
http://www.womensheart.org/content/Exercise/strength_training.asp

Tonight I ate 2 pieces of pizza hut pizza, but without toppings. (the cheese and stuff that they use here tastes weird) So pretty much just greasy bread! I'm a carb-a-holic! And 2 scoops of chocolate icecream. (I've had more to eat but those were my splurges) Not the best but I've been drinking water and working out. My arms are sore from yesterday but I'm looking forward to hitting the gym later. This post is long, sorry about that, I'll go for now...

GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!!!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #156 of 430

Mencked, walk at the speed that works best for you. Just because someone else is walking faster doesn't mean you have to match the speed. No way could I keep up with Krystyne on the running miles front. I think I'd just pass out if I even had to try. icon_smile.gif

Walk at a speed that is comfortable for you, that gets your heart rate up and keeps it there. Also while you are on the treadmill it is good to speed it up and slow it down. So play with that a little while you are walking. If you can't do 3.1 for a long time, then just do it for a 30 seconds then go back down to 3.0.

Krystyne, I'm not overly worried about the Burger. I got a med fry instead of a large onion ring (which I usually get) and the baby I watch got some of my fries. Breakfast was two pieces of toast and peanut butter. Had an boiled egg as a snack before class. After class it was breakfast foods: eggs, bacon and biscuit. I left the butter and jelly out of the biscuits though. icon_smile.gif That counts for something right?

I do have some 100 calorie snack packs that I get when I am feeling munch, but I try to limit myself to one a day. I also bought some fruit and have been eating that too. I don't mind snacking and do know it actually does help. I was just feeling overly snacky the other night. Much better now. Woo Hoo!!

Emrldsky, I can totally understand being worn out. I baby sit a very active 18 month old and some days I have her from 6:30am-5:30pm. Those are usually the days I have class too, so by the time I teach from 6:30-8:30pm and don't get home until after 9 I don't want to do anything. It's really hard to talk yourself in to doing stuff when you are tired and don't feel good.

After your nap can you take a few minutes to do something that gets your heart rate up? Even if it is turning on your favorite song and dancing around the living room? Walking up the street and back down?

Even on my longest days and I literally have to talk myself into getting on the treadmill when I get off there is always that work out high. It may only last a little while and I want to crawl in bed not long after, but it is there.

If it is just not possible to to any work out at all, then focus on your diet, but do not go over board there. Remember you have to have atleast 1200 calories a day. And until your meds really kick in you may not see much of change in your weight, but you can at least work on your eating habits and have those in place when your body is working properly again.

Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better soon. icon_smile.gif

jelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelmom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:01am
post #157 of 430

Welcome foxymomma! I know how you feel. My husband wears a 32 jeans because he likes them loose. I definitely dread the christmas party if I don't get the weight off by then.
I just realized I hadn't gotten an e mail in a while and came on to check. Wow did I miss a lot. I have been really busy. I am pretty sure I gained back everything I lost, which was about 10 pounds. I have to start back. Today is the day. I should be fine till next week. I will start making cakes again.
Thanks to you all for inspiring me to start back.
By the way, just realized I never said my real name, its Jennifer.
GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:32am
post #158 of 430

HI all! I just wanted to say that I love being able to read all the advice and updates on this thread. You are all an inspiration to me icon_smile.gif
I can't seem to find the time to exercise everyday, probably only once every three days. So I've been limiting my calories to 1200 a day and I've lost 2 pounds since Monday icon_smile.gif
Emrldsky- My neighbor is going through the same thing you are. She was put on meds in June for her thyroid, and they just put her on another one last week. She takes the last one every afternoon before she gets tired, and she said it helps. She's been going to the gym, and you can see a big difference in her in those 2 months. I'd say she's lost between 10 and 15 pounds. I'm only telling you this so you know the worst is over, and you'll start losing soon.
Good luck all! icon_biggrin.gif
Go Chunky Monkeys!

Mencked Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:27pm
post #159 of 430

Krys-thanks for the weight lifting info--it's basic and just exactly what I was looking for! Does everyone have great plans for the long weekend? Not us, we're just hanging out and looking forward to the first Nebraska Football Game--we're originally from Nebraska and old habits die hard! Go Chunky Monkeys!!

krystyne_wilson Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:56pm
post #160 of 430

I didn't write yesterday b/c things are busy over here. I was just told that I'm going to be helping to teach some Iraqi Air Force troops some basic medical tasks along with some other medics from my unit. We had presentation with our command team today...

Yesterday I didn't work out because of that (I had to be at work during my normal sleep time so I went to bed early) but the day prior I did 30min on the Elliptical a leg workout and a 15min cooldown on the bike. Yesterday my R leg started hurting just behind my knee, more on my calf though. Anyhow I'm hobbling around and I'm not sure what I'm going to do at the gym this morning when I get off work.

Diane~ I'm glad that those exercises helped. If I find more I will post them on here for you all.

This weekend I'll be rounding up all of my Army gear. We're having a layout to make sure everyone has all of their stuff before we head back home. All of this talk about going home is really exciting! Just under 60 days now icon_biggrin.gif

I pray that everyone is doing well. Keep up the good works! GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!!!

Mencked Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:13am
post #161 of 430

Krys--I'm so glad it's only 60 days until you come home-you're in my prayers everyday! Hope your knee gets better soon and that you catch up on your sleep! I'm really concentrating on eating good, good food this week--fruits, veggies, whole grains, chicken, turkey--it's hard because we raise pigs for a living--and we have an entire freezer full, but I'm committed to eating right and getting my family on the right track! Go Chunky Monkeys!

TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 5:17am
post #162 of 430

Well I did it. I have walked 21 straight days, 42 miles. That's suppose to make it a habit, but we shall see. I've done this before only to take a day off and not get back to it.

This morning I woke up with a sore throat and a bit of a cough, so walking tonight wasn't what I wanted to do. I took it slower than usual, but pushed up the incline to 4.0 instead of 2.0. I burned 35 more calories than I usually do walking my 2 miles so I can't complain at all. And at the slower pace for me the incline was easier to do.

Krystyne, thank you for that site. I have some 5lb hand weights at home that have been doing nothing but collecting dust. Maybe I can talk myself into actually using them. We shall see. Of course I have some resistance bands, the exercise step and work out video's I haven't talked myself in to using either. icon_sad.gif

Don't forget it is okay not to work out every day as long as you pick it back up the next day or so. Good luck find all your gear. You will be home before you know it. icon_smile.gif

Mencked, I have to ask... What is wrong with pork? I thought it was the other white meat and more healthy than beef (well minus bacon)? My family eats alot of pork and chicken. Stir fry (pork or chicken) can be healthy since you are using alot of veggies, you just have to go easy on the sauces. We also bake the country ribs, with just salt and pepper, yummy, and again no fattening sauces to add on calories.

Foxy, it is okay if you can't find the time to do it every day. Doing it 2 or 3 times a week is more than nothing, and alot of exercise plans do have you only do things, every other day or 3/4 times a week rather than every single day.

Jelmom, you can do it, you can do it! icon_smile.gif I started really gaining back what I had lost a few years ago this year, but you know what thoughts help push me to do it agian? The knowledge that I did take some of the weight off before. You know what things work for you, it is just a matter of getting back to doing them.

For those that are cutting way back on calories, just a reminder... Make sure you are not cutting out things you need. Your body needs certain nutrients to work correctly, so make sure you are getting your veggies and fruit, as well as things with protien and fiber.

At one point I cut out almost all drinks that weren't water or tea, because I was afraid of the calories. But then it clicked that not all drinks with calories are evil. Fruit juices like orange juice (real juice, not just the fruit drinks) are okay with in reason because they do contain things like Vit C which is good for us. I also buy the one that has Calcuim (since I'm not a big milk drinker) and Vit D (which helps the body absorb the cal.) And depending on which ones can count for a serving of a fruit or even veggies.

I know we all stress the min of 1200 calories and no less. But depending on your amount of exercise your body may need more than that to fully work properly. I've bought the Best Life Diet but Bob Greene, and enjoyed the book for several reasons. One of which it isn't a 'diet' that tells you you can't eat anything at all, and it doesn't promise for you to shed all your weight in days. Another thing I like about it is that it works in steps. You don't give up everything or change everything all at once. You work in month intervals and change different things each month.

Now I'm not sure I'd follow the diet plain to a T, because I love food. HeHe. And at this point I just really can't see myself eating egg white omelets and I love beef too much to never eat it again, that's why a very strict diet plan would never work for me.

But I do love how it goes through and explains different things. Such as what our bodies need, what our muscles need to work properly, and just how our bodies work when it comes to food. It also has some guides in it (the point of my bringing it up) about your activity level vs calorie intake. I need to see if I can find the book. If I can I will try to post the information on here.

Good luck on a new week!! Hope everyone has a nice Sunday. icon_smile.gif

EnjoyTheCake Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:51am
post #163 of 430

Really off topic here, but I'm raeching out to my fellow chunky monkeys.

I'll be in the Dallas/Fort Worth area the middle of September. Does anyone spend a lot of time there? I'm looking for a VERY reasonably priced place to sleep for a couple of nights. The hotel where they are hosting our training event is over $150 a night. GASP. Now sure I can go online and fine something cheaper, but if anyone has recommendations, I'd love to go to someplace my friends like rather than random words on my computer screen.

Thanks monkies.

Oh yeah, and I watched Indiana Jones (new movie) today. It was boring.

Mencked Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #164 of 430

Great to hear from you guys-Deb-I'm sorry I'm not familiar with Dallas area--except that I want to go there to a used rest. equip. company! I bet you'll find a bargain somewhere!
-Oooo I didn't mean to blast pork, I mean, that's how we make our living and the company we work for raises literally millions of lbs. of pork a year, but I'm going to try to limit my pork and red meat intake to 1-2 times per week or less--let's face it, the way I've been doing it for years isn't working and I have several friends who have tried this way of eating and lo and behold it really works! Now my husband thinks I may have gone off the deep end and I'm doubting myself on occasion (and it's only been 3 days icon_smile.gif ) but I'm giving it a try--It's been easy so far, but I haven't had to make cakes or icing for these 3 days either. However, I'm having a tough time on the tread mill--slower speed, I've been off of it for a week or so. It really makes me realize how we can lose the small strides we make in fitness so quickly! TS-that is so awesome that you've kept if up for 21 days straight--AMAZING!! WHOO HOO for you!! You've inspired me! Now I have to figure out how to adjust that ticker again since I've lost some more weight!!!! Go CHUNKY MONKEYS!!

TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #165 of 430

DianeLM or ML I can never remember which ways the letters goes is from Dallas and could probalby give you some suggestions. I'd probably suggest going to the Best Western site, as their hotels are usually 80-100. If you are flying in are you going to rent a car to get to and from the hotels? If so it may not be worth it staying somewhere else.

Menked, good luck with your walking. There is nothing wrong with slow and steady until you get back into it. It is better tackle it slow then get into it too fast and end up hurting yourself.

My brother mowed my yard last week so I plan on making him some chocolate chip cookies to thank him. Hopefully I can stay out them before I pass them on. icon_wink.gif Plus I have been wanting to make Blueberry muffins again.

I don't see anything wrong with cutting back certian meats. Just wanted to remind you that pork can still be fixed healthy.

Tell hubby to deal with it. Remember we can have mostly anything with in moderation. And we can cut alot of calories out by how we cook things. Cut back on extra sauces, gravys or sugary marinades. Bake or grill instead of fry in fat. Add more veggies and fruit, cut meat and starches back. I've read that veggies and fruit should be 2/3rds of what is on the plate and your meat and grains the other 1/3rd.

If you change everyone's eating habits in the house it will be better for you in the long run. If you just cook one meal you will be more likely to stick to your eating plan, than if you have to fix something special/different for yourself.

There is nothing wrong with keeping something special in the house for kiddos or hubby as long as it is something you don't like. HeHe. Just kidding. But it is important to teach kids proper eating habits.

When I grew up we had to have a spoon of everything that was on the table. I didn't care for lima beans but I knew then it was easier to eat a spoon than agrue about it. By doing that my parents encouraged us to try new and different things and we were not allowed to be picky eaters that only ate one or two things and ignored the good for you stuff. It has carried on to my life now and veggies are always a part of my meals. Mostly the ones I really like, but I still eat the ones I don't care for too much if I am at my momma's table.

Mencked Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #166 of 430

I really had to go shopping when I decided to eat about 80% fruits and veggies and 20% all other good things--That's my goal and I'm doing this under dr. supervision, but it just showed me how horrible I'd let my food choices become over the years for me and my family! When I first had kids and a family--20 years ago, I'd fix meals like my mom did at home--always veggies included, well-rounded, looked good--I also have a degree in Home Ec. and always loved the cooking part of it all. Anyway, as the years flew by, more kids came along, I worked full-time, and so the good meals also sort of flew by the way-side--became totally unplanned, whatever there was sorts of meals. I'm trying to focus again on planning, eating really healthy foods, and sticking to smaller portions of red meat and pork only 1-2 times per week- not only for me but also for my family! My husband laments that he's always going to be hungry..... but I don't think he will be--it's just a mind set that has to be overcome!
Thanks for the encouragement TS!!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 8:01pm
post #167 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

DianeLM or ML I can never remember which ways the letters goes is from Dallas and could probalby give you some suggestions. I'd probably suggest going to the Best Western site, as their hotels are usually 80-100. If you are flying in are you going to rent a car to get to and from the hotels? If so it may not be worth it staying somewhere else.

Thank you TS. I'm driving up from Austin so I won't be using the airport or a rental car. I'll keep looking on the internet.

krystyne_wilson Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #168 of 430

Hey y'all!!!

Sorry its been a few days. I was off work yesterday and DH and I were getting our gear ready. We're missing 2 things, I can get them online and since we do our layouts at different times we can both claim that we have everything until I get the orders in icon_wink.gif

I had some cramping/brusing pain in my R calf for a few days so I rested. When I weighed in I was the same as last week. Better than gaining but if I would've worked out more I would've seen a drop. But I needed to rest it or else risk hurting it more so I'm ok with my weight being the same.

About the food... I try and substitute healthier items like low fat or fat free stuff (like sour cream, 1% milk, etc) and I also only use ground turkey instead of ground beef. We don't taste a difference, it's easier to cook and where I buy it at (the commissary) it's less expensive. Over here it's hard to find good things to eat. They play more into the comfort level, trying to make things more homey than healthy. I'm excited to get home (56 days and counting!) and be able to go to the store and cook our meals myself.

Back to what Diane said about meal planning and how over time the meals were sort of whatever you can find... I think that plays a huge role in the "obesity epidemic" in the states, especially among young children. Most Moms work outside the home and more kids eat fast food or something that you just throw in the oven. They just don't have (don't make) the time to prepare meals for their families anymore.

TS~ I'm glad that you liked the website and I'm even MORE glad that you were able to walk for 21 days in a row! I've heard about how that's supposed to form a habit too, I sure hope it works for you icon_smile.gif

Deb~ I hope you find a good place to stay. If you have a military dependent card ask for military discount. They won't show it online but if you call and ask you can get a good deal most of the time. You may not even need to show your ID card when you check-in just depends on where you go. HTH

GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!!!

TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm
post #169 of 430

Diane, Tell hubby he isn't suppose to feel stuffed after every meal. HeHe. The book I mentioned before also talkes about that. We tend to let our selves get straved between meals there for we over eat when we do sit down to eat. And be sure to point out to hubby he can have snacks, with in reason, between meals, maybe that will help him from feeling hungry all the time too.

Deb, I would really check out Best Western. They are usually nice hotels, and have the front entrance with all the room doors inside. Much safer for a woman traveling. Plus there prices are more reasonable than some of the other ones.

Well today was weigh in day for me, but I'm not quite sure where I stand now. I've been using my mom's scale since I don't have one at home and I couldn't see spending $30 on one when I could just use hers for a while. So I carried her scale home with me last night so I could just crawl out of bed and weigh this morning. I found that depending on where the scale was in the bathroom it read different things. Lovely huh? So according to the scale this morning I had lost 2.4 lbs. Moved it twice and got the same reading.

Well after returning it back to my mom's house for hours later I put it back in it's home and decided just to step on it for the fun of it, and it said I had lost 3 lbs. The pro is that I have lost! Just not totally sure exactly how much.

I woke up with a fever this morning. I'm not sure if what I have is a sinus thing or more a cold. I'm going to watch my temp this evening and if I have a fever again, as much as I hate it, I may skip my walk tonight. I don't want to skip it, but I don't want to push and make myself sicker.

Hugs everyone!

TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 9:42pm
post #170 of 430

Krystyne, I'm glad you gave your leg a chance to heal instead of causing more problems. It's really hard once you get in a flow of things, but we do need to list to our bodies. There is going to be some soreness from working our muscles, but pain is not a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystyne_wilson

Back to what Diane said about meal planning and how over time the meals were sort of whatever you can find... I think that plays a huge role in the "obesity epidemic" in the states, especially among young children. Most Moms work outside the home and more kids eat fast food or something that you just throw in the oven. They just don't have (don't make) the time to prepare meals for their families anymore.

I think that we live in a fast food nation right now. There are alot of people that do not cook at home, that do not know how to cook any more. Growing up we were a family that actually sat down to the table to eat every night. And my mother taught me how to cook.

Even Mom's that work out of the home can still cook healthy if they plan and prep ahead. It just takes an effort for all of us to comitt to better eating.

I think another problem is that the less healthier stuff is cheaper. And in the time where prices of everything are going up, people go for cheaper over healthier. How many people buy the 70/30 ground meat because it is cheaper than the 96/04? How many people go with the preprepped, prepacketed foods because they are cheaper? How many people skip over the fresh fruits and veggies cause they cost more?

krystyne_wilson Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:29pm
post #171 of 430

I think it's all a matter of making the time for it. Meal planning is a quick and easy way to save time and money. When you plan your meals in advance from a list of meals you can make or have recipes for on a weekly basis then you already know what you need when you go to the store. As far as things that are healthier being more expensive I find that true for more of the pre-packaged healthy things. I noticed that when I buy more fresh fruits and veggies for snacks compared to chips and other pre-made goodies I spend less. But this is for 2 people and I've been in Iraq for a year so things may have changed. I'm a HUGE fan of coupons! Sadly, where I live in TX there is only the commissary (which I frequent most) and Wal-mart, no Publix, Kroger etc to take advantage of double or triple coupons icon_sad.gif

My Mom never taught me how to cook, as we got older she relied more on prepackaged things or my step-dad cooked. When I was first married I did the same, up until 2 years ago when my husband first deployed. During that time I really grew a lot and made some changes in my life, one of them being improving my domestic skills! I would invite my girlfriends over on the weekends who husbands were also deployed and I would cook, or we would take turns cooking and play games and watch movies. That's also when I got into cake decorating icon_biggrin.gif My GodMother has taught me a lot and is working on a cookbook for me with all of her favorite meals so that I can make more when I get home.

Anyhow I'm just rambling now but I agree that we must DECIDE/CHOOSE to lead healthy lifestyles and eat healthy...because we're worth it icon_wink.gif

Mencked Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:50am
post #172 of 430

I have to tell you guys about supper tonight. I fixed something we just love--spaghetti with tomatoe/meat sauce. I used Prego like I always do, but used ground turkey instead of our regular pork sausage. Now I also made 2 different kinds of spaghetti--our regular kind and one that has twice the fiber--Barilla yellow box--tastes great by the way. Anyway, my husband noticed the 2 bowls of different pasta and he's grown to expect that, but he said, what's different ? Did you salt the pasta water, did you not add as much br. sugar.....he never suspected that it was ground turkey icon_smile.gif ! So funny, he could tell something was a little different so what did I do--flat out lied icon_smile.gif "Yep, you caught me", I said, "I didn't put as much salt of sugar in the stuff!!" HA! I feel slightly devious and not I will go tell him the truth, or not!

krystyne_wilson Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:20am
post #173 of 430

Diane, you're funny! But I don't think that lying was a god idea. Maybe he liked that it was different but anyhow... I actually think if anything that the turkey tastes better than the beef. But maybe that's just me...

Today we ran 1.5x's around a lake here. One lap is 5K! After I caught my breath I went to the gym to do some bicep & tricep exercises. Tomorrow I'm not working out because I have to teach that class in the AM. Wish me luck!

GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!!!

Mencked Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:57am
post #174 of 430

Oh my gosh--I need to proof read what I type! I'm the typo queen! I'm going to think of my trick on my husband as just that--a little trick--when you've been married for 23 years, you've got to find a little humor wherever you can--tells you how exciting our lives are icon_smile.gif . Anyway, Krys--when you are running around the lake like you did today how hot is it? I can't imagine! I admire you so much! I on the other hand managed to pull a muscle (or something) in my ample rear end--ouch--doing as far as I can tell, absolutely nothing?!? Oh well, I'm going to go walk through the pain now in my air conditioned living room on my treadmill in front of the TV--what a pampered chic I am--once again I so admire everything you do Krys!!! GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!!!

TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #175 of 430

Good luck!!! icon_smile.gif

krystyne_wilson Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #176 of 430

Thanks Diane icon_wink.gif

We try and run as early as possible. We get off work at 5am and usually make it to the lake by 5:30am. It can be humid some mornings and there are these plants at some points of the lake that smell REALLY foul! It's probably in the 90's at least but because we're acclimated to the heat it's not so bad. I don't care for the treadmill. My speed varies while I run so they wear me out...so you got me there! I'm sorry to hear about your pulled muscle. Massage it with icy hot or an analgesic balm, that should help. And sit on an ice pack or heating pack for a few minutes while watching TV or something.

My class today was actually pretty fun! The Iraqi troops we taught (there were 6) were funny and very eager to learn. We had two interpretors that helped a lot. This one guy wanted my commander and I to take lots of pictures, of him and his friend and with us. It was a hoot! Well I gotta go count my ammo rounds...TTYL

GO CHUNKY MONKEYS!!!

Mencked Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:20pm
post #177 of 430

I have a question for everyone--seems weird probably, but how tall are y'all? I'm 5'10". The reason I ask is TS said a while back that her best friend is that tall and weighs about 185 and looks good and I adjusted my goal weight to that as well and just wondered how goal weights correlate to height.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:51pm
post #178 of 430

I can promise you my friend will tell you she needs to lose weight. But before her two kids she was one of those toothpick girls, so some weight on her looks healthy. She does have a little bit of a tummy, but not nearly as much as me. icon_wink.gif Just goes to show you even the smaller women aren't happy with their bodies.

I looked up a BMI index and looked up some height/weight charts.

For me being 5 foot tall it says I should be under 127 to be a healhty, normal weight. Apparently I can go as low as 95 lbs and still be in the normal range (according to the first link). Which I find funny. icon_wink.gif According to the second link it says 116-127 for me since I either have a large frame or really short fingers. icon_smile.gif

For 5'10" it says that 130-173 is healthy according to the first BMI index. But the first link, unlike the second one does not factor in your frame size either.

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/people.htm

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

I can't ever remember being skinny. I was a child when I was, so I have no idea what weight actual looks good on me. Since I'm going for healthy I have been saying I wanted to get to 130 then from there I would decide how much more I want to lose. I'm 29, I will be 30 in December. I think it is very unrealistic for me to ever plan on being 100lbs. I don't want dieting and weight to take over my life and never been happy with the weight I am at.

After looking at the BMI index again, haven't looked at it in a while, I may drop my goal weight to 127.

I say pick a wieght that you feel is do-able. I see nothing wrong with aiming for 200 or 185. It doesn't mean you have to stay at that weight, but it gives you a goal that you can see the end to. At that poing you can evaulate where you are and make the next set of adjustments.

I think for me that idea of certain weights are unknown so it is harder for me to get fixated on a finish number. I think all numbers involved are hard to figure. I have no idea what size clothes I would wear at 127lbs. I was a 16 in HS, 14 in middle school, since puberty I have always been on the heavier size. When I was 160-165ish I could fit some 12/14s, but it depended on the make of the clothing and the brand. I can't realisticly grasp buying single digit clothing sizes right now. Maybe one day... but for now I'll just take it a pound at a time. icon_smile.gif

krystyne_wilson Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:27pm
post #179 of 430

I'm 5'5" and currently weighing in at 148. My smallest in HS was 115 and I have no idea how I got there (but it didn't last long!) I was always between 125-135 and that's where I'd like to be now. But for me over here I have a scale but I view my clothes as a better judge of where I want to be. I have some Lg pt shorts (pyhsical training uniform) that are comfortable once I get them past my hips, but going over them is rough! I've always been "bootylicious" and I like it but there is a little bit too much junk in this trunk. icon_wink.gif So I want to be able to pull them up over my hips w/o trouble and be able to wear my size Sm ACU uniform again.

My squad is taking a diagnostic PT test next week to gauge where we are before the record PT test in October. I'll let y'all know how both go!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:08am
post #180 of 430

I am 5'5" I chose my goal weight of 185 because it seems doable for me. My surgeon didn't talk about goal weight with me at all, I think that's why I liked him. He's the first doctor I've had in a very long time that was more concerned with my overall health than a number on a scale. I do think I need to see a podiatrist again though. I have pain in my right foot. I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis a couple of years ago, but in addition to the extreme 100% of the time heal pain, I have an agonizing pain on the top of my right foot. I'm concerned, but figured it was because of the weight. Well, even with losing so much weight since the beginning of the year, neither pain is getting any better. It might be time to have it evaluated again.

I have a couple of appointments this month. One is with the endocrinologists office. I'm type 1 diabetic. And the other is with the surgeon for follow up. I might get an adjustment to the band as I feel like I'm able to eat more than I should. Ideally I should be able to eat a cup of food and feel full but not uncomfortable. I have been watching what I eat, but find myself a little hungry most of the time. So maybe should evaluate that again.

On a good note, I'm under 300 again. Hopefully it will stick this time. I'm happy with any loss no matter how tiny, but prefer it when it I can keep it off instead of jumping up a couple pounds again. I was stuck at 303 for nearly 3 weeks. And that was after being stuck there for 2 weeks in a row just a week before the last 3 weeks. I know a lot of weeks there. I hope it makes sense.

I'm so PROUD of this group of monkeys. You ladies really make my heart sing with joy when I read how hard you are working at this and how much you sacrafice. I'm proud to be a chunky monkey with my cake decorating sisters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%