Anyone Speak German (This Has To Do With Cake, I Promise)?

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 10:29pm by crystalina1977

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 4

One of my coworkers is leaving, as her husband got a job in Germany teaching English. I probably won't see her again, nor talk to her again, so I'm not sure which of the many ways to say "goodbye" in German I should use.

Would auf Wiedersehen be appropriate? I want to write goodbye in different fonts around the cake, and place a chocolate transfer of the German flag on top (6" cake).

Also, would white fondant look OK? Basically, cover the 6" cake with white fondant, write goodbye in German all around it, but have the flag on top?

3 replies
suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 4

Auf wiedersehen is just fine. You could also use the more casual "tschus" and add "alles Gute." Add an umlaut above the "u" in tschus. Also, alot of germans say "caio." Auf widersehen is considered alittle more formal and something you say to someone you really don't know well or is just an acquiantance. I grew up in the southern part of Germany so my german is alittle more "casual and relaxed." LOL! A southern dialect if you will! Good luck and let me know how it turns out!!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! Maybe I can place all of them on the cake, just the different ways of saying goodbye...

I'll definitely post a picture when it's all said any done. icon_smile.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 4

alta vista babel fish translation, very good site for english to different language transalations, and vice versa as well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%