Cheap Colorful Way To Cover Cakeboards...

Decorating By knel Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm by butternut

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #31 of 49

I've used wrapping, construction, and tissue paper covered with contact paper. Freezer paper is also a great idea. I use it on my cardboard rounds btw tiers. It is a cheap alternative to buying fancy foil & there's so many options. I bought some plastic table clothes from Party City in many different colors. I think that they were 50 cents or a dollar ea. I haven't tried it yet, but I think that I will this wkend.
As for the food safe question. I'm not sure that these items are food safe, so I always put my cakes on a cake board first. I don't know how they could get away with selling these items if they weren't however. Contact paper is used to line selves. I'm sure that many have dropped food on table clothes & then ate it without thinking twice.

NiteOwl4evr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiteOwl4evr Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:12pm
post #32 of 49

I love useing the plastic tablecloths. I have never had a problem with color coming off of the cloth and I just use masking tape (alot) to secure it to the board. It is cheap and you can get so many colors and cover alot of boards. I have also use scrapbooking paper to match a certain theme or wrapping paper and then covered that with wax paper or clear contact paper. My first choice is always the tablecloths though.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #33 of 49

what kind of glue do you use for the scrapbook papers? is there a food safe glue to use?

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:53pm
post #34 of 49

Amberhoney,
Such cute designs! Love the sewing themed cake! Very clever cakeboards! I, too, love this site!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm
post #35 of 49

More options that I have used under the contact paper are crossword puzzles cut from the newspaper, recipes from magazines and confetti cutouts sprinkled onto the board before covering- shamrocks for St.Patrick's day, music notes and generic b-day ones. Thanks for all who are sharing!

CelebrationCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakeLady Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #36 of 49

I saw a few people mentioned using Saran Wrap too...but you know what else works...is the Saran Wrap Press and Seal....When I have used this it makes it so that I don't need to use much tape...however...it is expensive

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #37 of 49

So many great ideas! I was trying to figure out how to jazz up the cake board for my daughter's bday cake, now I'm inspired!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #38 of 49

I also had a concern about food safety. I contacted someone about this and this was the response that I received.

Contact Paper is made of PVC VYNIL. We do not recommend this to be used in Direct contact with food. I do have other customers that are doing the same thing with our paper, and although we have not received any complaints in regards to this type of use, we still must give you caution.

Thanks,
Have a Great Day!

Teena Leyva
Kittrich Corporation
Customer Service Dept.

714-736-1057 phone
714-736-2157 fax

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #39 of 49

Amber--I love your sewing basket cake too--how did I miss that one? And the pattern paper on the board--Genius!!!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:40pm
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I use wrapping paper that I get at the dollar store and then just cover the paper with clear contact paper!! I love doing that and I like that there are sooo many options of colors, patterns, etc!!!

I do the same thing! It get a little trickier to apply the contact paper the bigger the cake board is, but it's a great surface once you are done (not to mention cheap!).

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:47pm
post #41 of 49

I also use the plastic tablecloths. They come in every color you can think of and you can buy them at any store very cheap. I also use wrapping paper with cellophane over the top. Works great!! thumbs_up.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

I also had a concern about food safety. I contacted someone about this and this was the response that I received.

Contact Paper is made of PVC VYNIL. We do not recommend this to be used in Direct contact with food. I do have other customers that are doing the same thing with our paper, and although we have not received any complaints in regards to this type of use, we still must give you caution.

Just put your cake on a board before putting it on the board that's covered w/ contact paper & it won't be coming in contact w/ the contact paper. icon_biggrin.gif I do it this way b/c I wouldn't want to take a chance on tearing/cutting the contact paper when decorating the cake. So, I decorate on a regular board then transfer it to my foamcore.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

Just put your cake on a board before putting it on the board that's covered w/ contact paper & it won't be coming in contact w/ the contact paper. icon_biggrin.gif I do it this way b/c I wouldn't want to take a chance on tearing/cutting the contact paper when decorating the cake. So, I decorate on a regular board then transfer it to my foamcore.

Okay, this information is good to know. I always thought it was food safe since my glasses and dishes are set on top of it in my cabinets. Makes me want to rip it out of my cabinets now as I don't want my stuff to come into contact with that if I'll be using them for food. I also used it on my cakeboards directly under my cakes. That'll change now.

So what do you use to adhere the two boards together?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:18am
post #44 of 49

I plop down some buttercream, royal, or melted candy in between the boards.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:08am
post #45 of 49

I cover with wrapping paper, news paper, or whatever other kind of paper fits the theme then I cover that with cheapo clear wrapping paper....grease resistant and cheap.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:30pm
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

I cover with wrapping paper, news paper, or whatever other kind of paper fits the theme then I cover that with cheapo clear wrapping paper....grease resistant and cheap.

Okay, but is THAT food safe?! lol Gets ya thinking once you hear one thing isn't food safe that you thought was all along.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #47 of 49

It's the same clear plastic used to wrap food baskets and there's still a cake board between the the cake and the paper, so yes. And as food safety goes it's better to be safe than sorry but there is such a thing as going overboard. I mean seriously what IS safe or harmless these days???

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #48 of 49

I think there is a big difference between what you put your dishes on and what you directly eat off of. It needs to say that it is FDA approved for direct food contact before you put your cake on it, because even with a cake board, your fondant or BC border is probably touching that covering. I don't know, it worries me. I'll stick to grease-proof cookie tray liners. At $0.25 for a 9x13, cheap and easy!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #49 of 49

Yea, I won't use anything either unless it specifically says "food safe" Will it hurt anyone if you use contact paper and put the food directly on it? Maybe not but why take a chance? I agree, even if you use a board under the cake and put that board onto a larger board that has a covering that is not food safe, I think some of the food will still come into contact with it. Just not worth someone possibly getting sick from it. Chances are that wont happen but hey, if I prepare a cake for someone, they are relying on me to make sure that I don't take ANY chances with their health. I have to answer to them and to myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%