? Kitchen Aide And Mmf?

Decorating By shadowgypsie Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm by dessert1st

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 18

Has anyone used their dough hook with their KA to blend and knead their MMF? I was wondering if it would work.

17 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 18

I make mine that way. The bowl and hook need to be well-greased for it to work.

LauraLanier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraLanier Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 18

That is how I do mine, but really grease it up.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 18

I use one bowl, one wooden spoon, and my hands. No mess, only 3 things to clean.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 18

The instructions I have tell me to start with the paddle then when I add the remainder of the sugar it tels me to change to the hook attachment My MMF comes out great

Molly2

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 18

I only made it once in my heavy duty mixer and the MMF nearly fried it. I make it by hand now and find it really easier to put together that way.

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 18

Oh yes I will never go back to try and mix it any other way. Just make sure to grease everything, and halfway through switch to a dough hook. It works awesome!

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 18

I tried it a couple times and could never get the consistency right so I went back to mixing it by hand. That way I can feel when it's right! I even tried mixing some of the PS in using the dough hook and the rest by hand and it still didn't turn out right (to much cracking).

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 18

I used my KA to mix my MMF and it works fine. I think it is a good idea to grease everything really good though. Because I tried to knead my MMF with out greasing the bowel, and guess what, it broke my KA. I had to go right out and buy another. Talk about a expensive mistake! I found that I could also use my food processor to mix MMF. I mixed up and it's still a little moist. Then I take it out and hand knead with the rest of the powdered sugar to get the right consistancy. I would much rather run the risk of burning the motor up in my food processor than my KA.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:21am
post #10 of 18

Thank you all for your answering, I was very curious if it would work. Today I was making it by hand and thought about using my KA but wasn't sure it would work.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:39am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGrace

I tried it a couple times and could never get the consistency right so I went back to mixing it by hand. That way I can feel when it's right! I even tried mixing some of the PS in using the dough hook and the rest by hand and it still didn't turn out right (to much cracking).

me too.......I'm just going to use my hands.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:58am
post #12 of 18

I've seen lots of threads about this in the past, and it seems to run 50/50 with some people having great success, others absolutely burning out their KA's. I always wonder, for those of you who have success, what wattage KA do you use? I would imagine the power of your machine would affect whether or not it gets fried?

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:14am
post #13 of 18

I have only made it by hand. I have thought of using my KA but was always scared it would burn out the motor!!!! After reading this thread, I think I'm gonna certainly stick to doing it by hand unless I get a new mixer and use my older one to try it out!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:22pm
post #14 of 18

ceshell

My KA is 350 wattage and it works great

Molly2

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:39pm
post #15 of 18

I've made it both ways, with or without the KA.
I started with the KA mixing it up till it got a bit clumpy, but then worried about so many people saying it burned up their KA, so at that point I took it out and finished it by hand. The initial mixing was done with the KA which made it so much easier. But I love my baby and didn't want to burn it out!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:49pm
post #16 of 18

I've also done mine both ways. If you are scared to mess up your KA mixer, begin with the mixer, let it incorporate some of the confectioners sugar, then sift a nice pile of CS onto your countertop, dump the somewhat soft, sticky lump of MMF into the pile, grease your hands well and work in the CS until you get it to the right consistency. Keep some sifted CS to the side and ready to use. HTH icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

ceshell

My KA is 350 wattage and it works great

Molly2

Thanks for that! thumbs_up.gif I thought for sure everyone with successful results was using 500W+.

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #18 of 18

Me too, it works great. No work at all, just quick and easy! Always remember to grease (or spray) the bowl & hook. You'll only ever forget once, trust me. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%