When Should I Make The Dummy?

Decorating By Cinderella24 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm by Cinderella24

Cinderella24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderella24 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to make a 3 tier dummy Wedding cake for the end of August. My question is...when should I start making it? When is too early? It will be my first dummy and my first Wedding cake.

Thanks.

6 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 7

It's a dummy. It's never too early. I would definately make it ahead of time, then you won't be pressed for time. Just keep it somewhere dust-free.

Cinderella24 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 7

Will it not crack?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 7

I have dummies in my case that are several years old. No problems. What on it would crack?

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 7

What kind of fondant do you/have you used for the dummies? What do you use for adhesive on to the foam? Do you add anything to your fondant?
I have one to do for Mid Oct. but will have a little down time after next week and thought about knocking it out.
Thanks all....
Leah....I just got my SPS system and I'm going to put it to use this weekend! So excited!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 7

I use Wilton fondant for dummy cakes. I don't consider it particularly edible, so it's fine for dummy cakes. And, this week Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon (check their website) so my 5# box of Wilton fondant was about $14 this week. Deal!!

A light mist, and I mean LIGHT mist of water will adhere your fondant to the styro.

Cinderella24 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks again. I was going to use the Wilton fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%