Bettercream Question...

Decorating By Ruby2uesday Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 5:32am by sammie192

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #1 of 31

I was going to make a cake using nikki72905's recipe. well i have all the ingredients until i get to the bottom where she says she frosts it w/ bettercream. i can't get it, and have no clue what it is or what it's like. I pm'd her so just waiting for her to respond, but thought i'd ask y'all too! What could i use as an alternative that's similiar in consistancy and taste??? THANKS!!!

30 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:40am
post #2 of 31

If it's Rich's bettercream then cool whip is similar

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:04am
post #3 of 31

Bettercream and cool whip are not the same..
Bettercream has a stronger consistency than coolwhip. You can actually ice a cake with it..Cool whip is too runny..the taste is similar though

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:08am
post #4 of 31

Add some powered pudding to the coolwhip to thicken it up and kick up the flavor.

What kind of cake are you making anyway?

Ruby2uesday Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:18am
post #5 of 31

hmmmmm so what do you think??? it's a yellow cake based doctored and a vanilla-ey cream cheesey type of fill.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #6 of 31

Frosting Pride is another option.
If you want to go the coolwhip w/pudding option I'd suggest cheesecake or fr vanilla flavors.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:33am
post #7 of 31

Bettercreme is amazing. Don't even get me started! icon_lol.gif It is a whipped icing that is light and fluffy, just wonderful! But, the liquid version is ten times better than the pre-whipped!

If you cannot find it in your area, there is a recipe for 'mock' whipped icing which many have had success with. Please let me know if you want it and I will go look it up and post it here. It's buried in our cupcake thread, otherwise I would just post it here now. It will take a few minutes to find. But, if you are interested, I am certainly willing to look it up for you!! I have somehow been dubbed the "Bettercreme Queen" in the cupcake thread, so if you have any q's about it, apparently I am a good one to ask! Hahahaha!! I have come up with a plethora of recipes and versions of fillings and icings using Bettercreme, each one better than the last!!

Melvira Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:41am
post #8 of 31

Ah, here it is... that wasn't so hard! icon_lol.gif

Mock Whipped Cream Frosting

3/4 c. milk
3 tbsp. flour
6 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. shortening
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Cook milk and flour until thick. Cool. Beat butter, shortening, and sugar for 4 minutes in a bowl. Add flour and milk mixture. Beat 4 minutes. Add vanilla and salt

EDITED TO ADD: I have not personally used this recipe, but several cupcakers have and like it!!!

Ruby2uesday Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #9 of 31

oh Melvira i'd love it if it's not to much trouble! TIA!

I only have access to Walmart so my selection is limited. THANKS!!!! i'd LOVE to make this cake for a get together tomorrow. if possible! If not it's all good. i'll make my italian cream. YUMMY!

Ruby2uesday Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #10 of 31

oh Melvira i'd love it if it's not to much trouble! TIA!

I only have access to Walmart so my selection is limited. THANKS!!!! i'd LOVE to make this cake for a get together tomorrow. if possible! If not it's all good. i'll make my italian cream. YUMMY!

Melvira Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:47am
post #11 of 31

Haha, I beat you to it!! icon_wink.gif

By the way, I love your signature line about the dental assistant thing! It's funny because last week I went in to have a temp crown put on a cracked tooth(OW!! How long is this going to continue to hurt!?!?) and I took them a big assortment of cupcakes. They were ecstatic! One of my pals here was giving me a hard time about taking cupcakes to the dentists office and I told her I was just drumming up business for them! icon_lol.gif And I also told her it's like a Doctor or Nurse that smokes... of course they know it's not good for them, but they're gonna do it anyway! icon_rolleyes.gif

Ruby2uesday Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:56am
post #12 of 31

LOL Thanks Melvira! I might have to try it in the morning! I'll make it first and refridge it to see if it works before i try the cake recipe. That way if it doesn't work i still have time to make my other cake! LOL

I talk to my pt's about working a night job as a baker and they look at me like i'm crazy and i tell them the same thing.... keeps you coming back! It's Job Security! LOL

i'll pm you about the other dental stuff! icon_wink.gif THANKS! ruby

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:14am
post #13 of 31

I know this is a stpid question because you already said that you only have access to Wal Mart... but there isn't a Smart&Final near you? That's where I buy mine.

Ruby2uesday Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:18am
post #14 of 31

macsmom, nope, walmart adn a brookshire, and a market basket. the last 2 aren't big chains i don't think.

Ruby2uesday Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:19am
post #15 of 31

sorry double post!

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:33am
post #16 of 31

I buy mine at GFS and I love it. Thanks Melvira for all the information about it.

tonedna Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:20am
post #17 of 31

lol Melvira..I am a big fan of bettercream liquid too!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Ruby2uesday Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:24am
post #18 of 31

Melvira and Edna, what's the differance with the liquid version and the premade??? other then liquid being liquid. lol for when i am able to buy some. THANKS! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:25am
post #19 of 31

I thinks is the consistency, is a little bit different

Ruby2uesday Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:52am
post #20 of 31

well if i can't replicate it, hopefully someday i can find it in a store!!! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #21 of 31

oh i never tried the recipe ruby..I only tried the company product. I actually look forward to try that recipe

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #22 of 31

Hope however tries this posts the results icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:56pm
post #23 of 31

The two main differences between the liquid and the prewhipped is that #1. the liquid tastes better, (I know, sounds weird, but honestly it does.) and #2. The prewhipped is almost over whipped in consistency, so the liquid makes it possible to have a more silky and smooth final product. A few nice other details is that it's easier to add flavorings to the liquid, and use it to make other things like mousse. I can translate my recipes to work with the prewhipped if needed, but I just prefer the liquid. Oh, it's also easier to store! The little quart paper cartons fit perfectly in my deep freezer's door... don't have to try and store a huge bucket!!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:19pm
post #24 of 31

Mel's right trying to store a big ol' bucket is a beast!Trust me I know icon_lol.gif
She is right the liqiud does taste better!

steplite Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:59pm
post #25 of 31

Hey Melvina, How do you think adding crushed pineapple (drained) to the bettercream will be? I want to ice some cupcakes.

tonedna Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #26 of 31

I used the chrushed pineapple with the bettercream for filling and is delicious..but gotta be careful to drain really good so the liquid doesnt make the bettercream too soft.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

Hey Melvina, How do you think adding crushed pineapple (drained) to the bettercream will be? I want to ice some cupcakes.

Tonedna is right on the money!!! What I like to do is put it in a cheese cloth and give it a HEALTHY squeeze. If you don't have (or don't want to buy) cheese cloth, then put it in a strainer and give it a strong 'push' then let it sit for quite a while to be sure it's good and dry. BUT!!!! Make sure you reserve that juice and use it to make some pineapple cuppies to squoosh that yummy filling into!! OMG... YUM!!!

tonedna Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #28 of 31

The juices are good to add some to the cake too!..Syrup and some pineaple juice..maybe some coconut syrup...some coconut flakes..YUM!

I see you already had the baby Melvira!..Congratulations!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:29am
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I see you already had the baby Melvira!..Congratulations!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, thank you so very much!! He has been an absolute joy!

steplite Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:57am
post #30 of 31

Thanks Melvira and Tonedna. I love bettercream. You can do so many things with it. Congratulations Melvira.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%