Urgent!! Need A Quick Way To Dry Gumpaste

Decorating By sweetsuccess Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm by ladybuglau

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 11

I made gumpaste leaves using Bakels pre-made gumpaste yesterday around 11pm. It was the first time I ever used this product but it was an emergency . I woke up today and the gumpaste has not hardened.

icon_mad.gif

Any one have any ideas on how to dry the leaves out quickly? I have to bring a gumpaste piece to a cake meeting this afternoon and it's going to be 95 degrees today!!!!!

10 replies
sweetsuccess Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone have a tip or suggestion??????

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 11

I have never used the premade gumpaste, always use homemade but you can dry gumpaste in a low oven (150, the warming temp) for about two hours. Good luck!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 11

It's humid in NY today too... Try putting them under a gooseneck lamp - not too close or they'll scorch. Or a table top fan. I've also used a food dehydrator, but if it's not partially dry, it can pick up the indentations in the tray.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 11

I have heard from many people that Bakel's never dries. I also had one student bring it to work with in a FGP class and it sucked.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but hopefully you will be successful!

Hot lamp, warm oven, tabletop fan on high, food dehydrator...these are all great suggestions on helping that GP to dry.

sweetsuccess Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 11

I really appreciate all your suggestions. I didn't get a chance to see all the responses before I had to leave. Unfortunately, the gumpaste stayed very very soft. Even now, the Bakels gumpaste leaves have not really dried.

Hopefully, this will never happen again, but at least now I have some idea of what to should do if I have this problem again.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

DINA

beachcakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 11

I always have problems with commercial GP. I get the best results from commercial fondant mixed w/ tylose.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 11

if you mix tylose powder into fondant, it will be like gumpaste? How much do you mix into how much fondant? I'd love to not use wilton gumpaste anymore, but HATED making my own icon_smile.gif

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 11

I had the same experience with Bakels gumpaste. Though it was a beautiful pure white and I thought it was going to be wonderful, I made daisies from it and they never did dry. I put them on a dummy cake and literally 3 months later those things were still soft. Never will use bakels again.

Anya

beachcakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybuglau

if you mix tylose powder into fondant, it will be like gumpaste? How much do you mix into how much fondant? I'd love to not use wilton gumpaste anymore, but HATED making my own icon_smile.gif

I use it for figures and flowers without a problem. Unfortunately, I kind of eyeball it - maybe a tsp. for a baseball sized hunk of fondant. Sorry - not very precise!

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 11

that's very cool, thanx I'm gonna try it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%