Announced It On My Web Site Officially Today (Sorry Long!)

Business By loriemoms Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 2:00am by snarkybaker

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 39

I made it official today..that is, I posted it on my web site. I am closing up my business in November (have my last wedding November 15th) I am quitting while I am ahead. My DH got laid off 6 months ago, and he is working contractor jobs here and there. So money got really tight and we needed something realiable. We also just looked at each other one day, after spending months and months doing nothing but baking, decorating, business this and business that and looked at the profits and went you know what, this just isn't worth it. (no, raising prices wasn't the ansewr, it just wasn't worth it!) It consumes your life and we wanted our lives back. I met a lot of great bakers in our area over the years and a couple of months ago I wrote to a couple of those I really liked and asked them if they needed a decorator. I was amazed at the response and am now working limited hours (till I get my weddings out of the way) for one of the best bakeries in town (if not the best!) I love it, I hate leaving! (But I have to come home and get my own cakes done, but it energizes me to actually be around people) I will work less hours, and make more money and still be decorating cakes and baking and working the business. So I am happy. I am glad to let someone else worry about finding supplies and dealing with the brizillas and doing taxes and contracts and all that fun stuff.

Anyway, I put a simple notice on my web site and after I finish all the weddings (have about 35 more to do till NOvember) I will turn off my phone, put my biz cards in the attic and go ahhhh!!

(and sell a lot of stuff on Ebay!)

38 replies
1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 39

I can tell in your post you feel a huge relief. I totally understand that sometimes it just doesn't seem worth the money. I am glad to read you are still keeping your hands in it with working for someone else. You get to go home at night, go to bed, and not worry about anything - what a relief that is!

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 39

As someone who feels the same way I say Congratulations! I also have stopped taking orders and will be finished with the orders I have in October.

A few times a day I'll flip through my calendar trying to decide if there are any orders I can just cancel. icon_smile.gif But of course I can't because I feel bad doing that.

Your story sounds so similar to mine. It's nice to know I'm not crazy. I also plan to apply at a couple of the nicer bakeries and hope I enjoy that more.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your experience. (Also, please let me know what you decide to sell. icon_smile.gif )

Janell

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 39

Do you have any supples that you want to be rid of?

loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 39

Thanks guys! Everyone thought I was nuts because the business was doing so well and I told them that was part of the problem! hahaha! I told my DH "Hey, we get thanksgiving off this year!" hahahaha!

as far as selling supplies, I am keeping all my cutters and tips and stuff like that, but I am going to sell a lot of my magic line and fat daddio and pfeil and holing pans on ebay, and will probably put one of my kitchen aids on our local craigs list (I don' t need THREE of them!) I already have a friend who has a home bakery who wants to buy my stainless steal tables..I do have a very large commerical sink I need to find a buyer for if anyone local is looking (although not allowed to sell on here, so leave me an email) and I have lots of bins and stuff like that...and more dragees then I will ever use, that kind of stuff, I dont know how I will sell.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 39

I am really happy for you.

Oh the freedom in doing someone else's cakes.

But with freedom...One thing I was not prepared for is the disparity in decorating methods. Many places insist on you doing things their way regardless of which way is better. So maybe be prepared for this.

I mean some places don't care they just want you to get it to the final product asap.

But some decorating rooms need additions put on to allow for extra head room if you get my drift.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 39

my partner quit and went to work at another bakery as a decorator and loved it!

congratulations...i know exactly what you mean looooooong hours...no life.....and the profit margin is just not that great.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #8 of 39

I completely understand where you are coming from! I sold my shop in May due to my pregnancy but I can honestly say...I've gotten my life back! It's amazing all of the things I missed because I was filling so many orders every week! When the 08-09 school calendar came out I was rushing to put the early dismissals and no school days on there when I realized...I don't have to work around those anymore!!! I can just be home with my son and not have to juggle like before!! Talk about excitement! thumbs_up.gif Also, we've had the BEST summer EVER and I know the holidays will once again be filled with home baking and fun....not seeing how many orders I will fill! Good luck to you and ENJOY YOUR LIFE...that's what it's for!

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:11am
post #9 of 39

My guess is that you will REALLY enjoy the first cake you do not HAVE to do...but do becuase you want to do it.

Congrats and good luck.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:18am
post #10 of 39

Good luck to you

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:20am
post #11 of 39

Gosh, the very things you guys are talking about are what make me fear even starting a business. I know how burned out I got when I first started decorating and I enjoy having a life and being able to get away for weekends, which would cease. My husband is 15 yrs. older than me and retired last year. I hate to open a bakery and tie him down in his retirement but he says he would mind doing deliveries and cleanup. I've got a couple more years before I need to decide something though.

Edited to add: Almost forgot! Congratulations to you guys! I can read your relief.

loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I am really happy for you.

Oh the freedom in doing someone else's cakes.

But with freedom...One thing I was not prepared for is the disparity in decorating methods. Many places insist on you doing things their way regardless of which way is better. So maybe be prepared for this.

I mean some places don't care they just want you to get it to the final product asap.

But some decorating rooms need additions put on to allow for extra head room if you get my drift.

hahaha! I know what you mean....!!! luckilly so far the place I am working at doesn't do anything much different then I do...I was SO glad to see they use a Agbay, as I would have died trying to torte cakes with a knife again!!

loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Gosh, the very things you guys are talking about are what make me fear even starting a business. I know how burned out I got when I first started decorating and I enjoy having a life and being able to get away for weekends, which would cease. My husband is 15 yrs. older than me and retired last year. I hate to open a bakery and tie him down in his retirement but he says he would mind doing deliveries and cleanup. I've got a couple more years before I need to decide something though.

Edited to add: Almost forgot! Congratulations to you guys! I can read your relief.

I hope we hadnt scared you off...I am not thick skinned enough to be a business person. I am a perfectionist and I feel every cake I made was my child! I hated the long hours of paper work, having to smile to all the customers even though you hadn't slept in three days and never, just never having any time to yourself. Some people love it.

And YES I CANNOT WAIT to make a cake just for ME!!! (and cookies!!)

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:50am
post #14 of 39

Congratulations on closing your bakery! Sorry I didn't get a chance to "bake" for you as we discussed. I'm going back to school full-time in the fall and am currently looking for a part-time job that I can work around school. I'm going for culinary and am very excited about it.
Sorry to hear about your DH being laid off but it looks like it was all for the good! If you local bakery needs more help, let me know! Or if you hear of anyone else needing help!
Leslie

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #15 of 39

I can see how it would get like that. I do this from home (licensed) and its just extra money, but its hard to pull a good profit...after all the supplies, and insurance, and other fees, once I buy the kids some clothes and me something extra, the money is gone. Some weekends are kinda busy but I try not to overextend, and if I don't want to take an order, I just say I'm booked. I have four boys and my husband helps alot, but some weekends I just wanna be done!

I just said "yes" to being a Wilton instructor and already I'm almost dreading it, hoping it doesn't cut into my time too much. It might be short lived....we'll have to see how it goes.

I worked for a caterer for a year and it was nice but I didn't always enjoy doing all the little individual desserts or candies in such large numbers, and I didn't enjoy the hot kitchen we shared with the regular chefs. I prefer keeping my night hours at home. The only thing I miss is the huge mixers and large ovens, because I have to do my own baking here in shifts!

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #16 of 39

Sounds like you are at peace with the decision and things are falling into place. Best of luck to you and your husbandicon_smile.gif

Paula

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #17 of 39

I think you are going to be happy in your new occupation. Unlike what most people think, bakery cakes are not all done exactly the way the book shows. There are many orders where the customer wants an, original just for them, cake. You as the decorator are free to design it however you wish. I have yet to work for a company or bakery who would not let me design cakes in my own style.

Good Luck to you and may you find a whole new love in the world of cake decorating.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:07am
post #18 of 39

Hi.

Sorry to hear of your husband's job loss. I hope he finds an even better position very soon.

I am certain you will enjoy your new job. Their cakes look as awesome as yours do.

Best wishes and many prayers.

TCP

loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:54pm
post #19 of 39

Thanks guys! You are all SO terrific!

Leslie: Good luck with your schooling!! I want to try to go to Wake Tech next year and do thier baking cert. Just trying to find time! (they only have day classes)

2Cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2Cupcakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm
post #20 of 39

Congrats on your career move. You seem so relieved now and that says a lot. You deserve to be happy in what you do. I know changing jobs is a very difficult decision and I wish you the best. icon_smile.gif

Please post a link to ebay if you do decide to sell anything.

Again good luck with everything and I hope your DH finds a job he can be excited about also.

ncdessertdiva Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:49pm
post #21 of 39

Thanks, Lorie, Alamance Community College is also increasing their Bakery and Pastry offerings, too, so I hope to specialize in that in the near future. They are supposed to be installing a "store-front bakery" at the school dedicated to the baking and pastry arts. I think their program will be tailored after Wake Tech's program. I'm so excited about my classes this fall!

Good luck to your husband, I hope he finds something he loves!

Please stay in touch, who knows maybe one day we'll work together!
Leslie

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm
post #22 of 39

I know how you feel.. I just closed "shop" also. My mind wasn't allowing me to be happy anymore. My kids and DH were suffering from cake rage LOL... I am still going through some stuff but it feels better not to worry anymore icon_sad.gif

((((((((hugs))))))))) to you

I feel ya my friend

sweettoothmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #23 of 39

I hope that you find yourself in a better place. I have a friend who has a shop in Louisiana. She says it is a day to day struggle trying to cover costs and make things more cost effectively without cutting those all too important corners.
Another thought, isnt it possible just to say no to some orders. Find a happy comfort zone 6 cakes a week or whatever your comfort level is and then refuse to take anymore orders than that? That is the best part of being the "boss" you should be able to say yes or no. Now I realize you wont have a steady stream of cake orders but shouldnt there be a ceiling?
Does anyone have any thoughts?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:54pm
post #24 of 39

Thats the reason I dont want my own bakery.. Everyone tells me why dont you!..And this is why!
I work there 2 days a week. Do all the details from my house. I am the head designer and get paid better than any of the other people. I do the weddings and I dont have to deliver them. Plus I have an assistant.. What else can be better. Plus I have a life!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #25 of 39

Just a thought---- someone may PAY out to "buy" your business. Like ad a link to your website referring your clients elsewhere, and "forwarding" your disconnected phone to a former "competitor". It might be worth a few bucks to you, and drum up business for someone else. Hopefully, it would be someone you would feel comfortable referring to....

In business sales, it is referred to as "goodwill".

sweettoothmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #26 of 39

Best of luck to you

loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:21pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

I hope that you find yourself in a better place. I have a friend who has a shop in Louisiana. She says it is a day to day struggle trying to cover costs and make things more cost effectively without cutting those all too important corners.
Another thought, isnt it possible just to say no to some orders. Find a happy comfort zone 6 cakes a week or whatever your comfort level is and then refuse to take anymore orders than that? That is the best part of being the "boss" you should be able to say yes or no. Now I realize you wont have a steady stream of cake orders but shouldnt there be a ceiling?
Does anyone have any thoughts?

That is true, you can take a week off here and there, but when you have to pay bills from your business, you have to keep orders coming...so there is no day off. I Have worked when I was sick, thrown out my back or just plan tired. I am looking forward to having days off!

loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

Just a thought---- someone may PAY out to "buy" your business. Like ad a link to your website referring your clients elsewhere, and "forwarding" your disconnected phone to a former "competitor". It might be worth a few bucks to you, and drum up business for someone else. Hopefully, it would be someone you would feel comfortable referring to....

In business sales, it is referred to as "goodwill".

Actually, the person I am going to work for, I have added her link to my web site. I am just doing it because she is doing so much for me, and didnt ask for any money for it. (Besides, I really like her and am enjoying the few days i have worked for her already (I am working part time for her now while I finish out my weddings) that I will do anything for her!

I may put a link on my web site of stuff I am selling though!!!! (will be sure to post it when i am ready to sell it!) for all the locals here...luckilly I did well on ebay and most of my character pans are now gone! Yeah!!

loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:25pm
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdessertdiva

Thanks, Lorie, Alamance Community College is also increasing their Bakery and Pastry offerings, too, so I hope to specialize in that in the near future. They are supposed to be installing a "store-front bakery" at the school dedicated to the baking and pastry arts. I think their program will be tailored after Wake Tech's program. I'm so excited about my classes this fall!

Good luck to your husband, I hope he finds something he loves!

Please stay in touch, who knows maybe one day we'll work together!
Leslie

That is so terrific, Leslie! I hope we have another Raleigh Area get together again! I really enjoyed the one we had last fall. I am waiting for Doug to organize another (grin)

ncdessertdiva Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:22am
post #30 of 39

Hi Loriemoms,
What is your website?
Leslie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%