Free Cakes For Kids

Lounge By heather1 Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 2:16am by BumbleBakeShop

heather1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather1 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 14

You may have seen this before, not sure if it's been posted. I just came across this site and though it was really neat. This lady makes cakes for kids in low income families and charges them nothing. She is able to afford it by donations and selling mainly cake related items on ebay. Just thought it was a good story to share. I couldn't imagine advertising for free cakes in Memphis, TN where I work. I would have to hire someone to answer the phones while baked and decorated all day. LOL
http://www.freecakesforkids.com/welcome

13 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 14

God Bless Her, her heart is so kind.

Unfortunately, here, there are many individuals who would abuse this. There are quite a few "If it's free, it's for me" practitioners here.

And again, the DoH (department of health) here would step in and say "No, No, Not From A Home Kitchen!". They did that to us when we were donating and delivering food made in home kitchens in the past.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 14

How sweet. I've never thought about donating this way, what a great idea.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 14

I am not sure on all the laws..I mean who can be sure these days when all the posts on here pretty much say that no matter what state you are in finding someone who can give you a straight answer is hard. But I would think if she is giving them away the DoH could only do so much. I give cakes/cupcakes/cookies to the local VFD all the time, how is this different?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 14

Mostly because you are doing what you do in TX, and I am in PA. Laws vary from state to state, and often from municipality to municipality.

Are you donating regularly? And are you donating through your business? Here, occasional donations to the FD, PD, etc, are allowed, just like anywhere else, to show appreciation.

But for regular donations, such as she is providing and announcing publicly, the DoH here would crack down on her like lightning around Frankenstein's Castle.

I live in a city where children are no longer allowed to bring home-baked cupcakes into school for their birthday - not because of the possibility of allergy, or because they are trying to promote more nutritious foods - just because they are not baked in a licensed, commercial kitchen.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:31am
post #6 of 14

[quote="playingwithsugar"]God Bless Her, her heart is so kind.

Unfortunately, here, there are many individuals who would abuse this. There are quite a few "If it's free, it's for me" practitioners here.
quote]

Those types of people are everywhere.

I love the idea of free cakes for low income households. We never know when we may find ourselves in that same spot. She has to be feeling so awesome about what she's able to do for these children. True, some may take advantage, but as long as she is doing her part then any "takers" will have to answer for that. I believe in karma and that this baker will reap rewards for her giving heart. Great Idea and thanks for sharing ithe link with us.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:20am
post #7 of 14

Wow! Awesome cake decorator. She will have a special place in heaven, in my book and it is so obvious she goes above and beyond by even making 3-D cakes for these kids!

I too am in Memphis, TN and was just thinking, like the first poster, about how this would work where I live. Boy, we live in a city with a lot of kids below the poverty line. Some parts of Memphis are so poor the city seems to have deserted them. Streets are torn up and in disrepair in some neighborhoods and people living in section 8 housing sit in plastic chairs fanning themselves with a piece of cardboard outside on my way to work at 7:45AM because it's already so hot and they don't have air conditioning. I always see kids in these neighborhoods playing in the streets too.

elicia1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elicia1968 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 14

I do free cakes and often get e-mails from people in other areas wanting a cake. I got a message today from a woman in Memphis needing a free cake if either of you Memphis locals are interested. I don't know her story, but could connect you if you have any interest.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 14

I could not open that post is anyone else have any trouble viewing it?

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 14

There is a real organization "Icing smiles" and many decorators nation wide donating their cakes though that organization. Check them out online or on Facebook. I know they check the story behind the customers, but I am happy to be a part of their service.

elicia1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elicia1968 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:28pm
post #11 of 14

Icing Smiles is only for sick kids and their siblings.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeonista

I could not open that post is anyone else have any trouble viewing it?

I couldn't open the page either.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 14

Take the /welcome off at the end of the page and it opens

BumbleBakeShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BumbleBakeShop Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:16am
post #14 of 14

What a fantastic idea! I'm also glad to have learned about Icing Smiles.

Birthdaycakes4free: what you do is awesome! When I open (hopefully) my own bakery, I'd love to donate cakes to those who need them. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%