How To Sculpt An Espresso Maker? Help!

Decorating By drgrl21 Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 4:21am by sugabear

drgrl21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgrl21 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 11

Hello Everyone,
I have to make my first sculpted cake within a week, I need help. How do I turn this image into a cake. All I know is that it will be a chocolate cake with cookies n creme filling or white with strawberry filling. Help me figure out how to sculpt it, what size cakes to use, what materials should I use, how do I make it all silver? It is for my grandmothers 75th Birthday, she loves esspreso.

Thanks.
Image (alt+p)

Image (alt+p)
[/img]

10 replies
drgrl21 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:37am
post #2 of 11

somebody, anybody? please help.

drgrl21 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 11

bump

drgrl21 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 11

bump

evamar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evamar Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 11

I'm not sure How m any people you want to serve but...
What I would do....
I would make a wood base with a wooden rod upward and would bake 6" cakes and insert them in the rod. If you have a smaller pan I would bake one for the middle part which goes thinner. You need to use boards in between at least two cakes. and maybe some rods for suport. Make the boards smaller than the cake if you are going to carved them with the angled sides. I would do the handle, top and the spout in rice kirispies treat and cover it in fondant..are you covering the hole thing in fondnt?

I would be careful with chocoalte since it tends to be too crumbly, try a denser cake..
I made an upright ice cream cone using more or less the same idea...if you want I can e-mail it to you..send me an e-mail to [email protected]

Hope this works!

drgrl21 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 11

thanks for your reply, ineed to know how to make the silver color?

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 11

I would try silver luster dust and paint it on with vodka. Use a grey fondant or buttercream as a base to help with the effect. Good luck. As a barista, I would love to see this once it's done/

drgrl21 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:23am
post #8 of 11

how do I make the fondant grey?anyone? if I use satin ice what does it taste like, how do I color it(using what specifically) and how do I flavor it?

After the fondant is grey how do I make it silver,there are so many different kind of luster, which one to use?

I plan on making an 8"7"6" cake and 6" 7" 8" for top. I hope this is okay, there is only one way to find out. PLease help please.I am a novice.First carved cake. icon_sad.gif

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:47am
post #9 of 11

You can make the fondant grey by adding a small amount of black gel food color. Just add and knead the fondant until you get the shade you want.

Satin Ice has a light vanilla flavor to it, so you don't need to flavor it. You can paint the fondant by using a mixture of silver luster dust ( I use CK's Nu Silver) and lemon extract. This will also give the fondant a light lemony flavor.

As far as carving the cake there's always more than one way to skin a chicken....I would make it as two seperate cakes (base one cake and coffee maker the second) and stack them with supports like a wedding cake. Then I'd use a centeral dowel to hold them together. Just my opinion.

Good look with your project and don't stress about it too much. Plan it out the best you can and don't freak out if you have to modify your plans as you go. Sometimes that happens.

drgrl21 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #10 of 11

SO i DON'T USE A HIGHLIGHTER COLOR,i HEARD THE HIGHLIGHTER COLOR GIVES A SOLID SILVER? hUMM. LUSTERDUST HUMM..
K

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:21am
post #11 of 11

Not quite sure what you mean by a highlighter color, but the method I described above has worked very well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%