Do You Sit Or Stand To Decorate?

Business By littlecake Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm by -K8memphis

bartar01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bartar01 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:08am
post #31 of 42

I definately change it up. I start out standing, but after a while I start to alternate sitting with standing.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:47am
post #32 of 42

I always stand. I wish I felt comfortable sitting ........I think I wouldn't be so exhausted afterwards..

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:50am
post #33 of 42

Chutzpah - that chair look really interesting, but how do you not go flying off it? I imagine that my sizeable bottom would send it scooting out from under me and across the room! Do you know who the European distributors are for it?

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:57am
post #34 of 42

I'm height-challenged, so I stand a lot when decorating cakes.
I usually sit just to decorate cookies, or when I'm making royal icing flowers... put in a movie, sit down, and start piping those puppies out. icon_smile.gif

I wear Dansko shoes... they ROCK. I got them for a retail job, but the back pain I'd been suffering for years disappeared within two days. No kidding. They're expensive, but worth every penny. I got them because a friend of mine, who's father is a surgeon, recommended them... all his nurses wear them, and they're on their feet for many hours at a time, standing in one spot a lot. They've been a life saver, and my back isn't nearly as bad these days! icon_smile.gif

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:24am
post #35 of 42

I mostly sit. I have an office chair that hits the right place and I have a table my husband built me years ago for crafting that hits the right place as well. There are times I stand, but very rarely. As for the pony chair, it sure is interesting, but I think I'd fall off of it. I have no coordination. LOL.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:27am
post #36 of 42

When standing I like to raise up my cake on stacked plastic shoeboxes - 2 or 3 high. It helps when cakes are eye level (I am 5'3").

So far I stand -- but have decided w my next order I wll try sitting. icon_smile.gif

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #37 of 42

My hair dresser uses the pony chair also. It looks alot like a bicycle seat just more comfy. And you can raise it to almost standing height. And she uses it all the time. If she can whip around me cutting my hair in that crazy chair I think that you could totally use it for cake doecorating.

https://www.ergofurniture.com.au/default.asp?Product=31101

I personally sit most of the time. I think because in my class were always seated, and it really never accured to me to stand. I do stand when rolling out fondant.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm
post #38 of 42

Bonjovibabe... if my buttissimo fits on that chair then yours will too....

It looks like they have sales offices in Suomi, Sverige, GB and Deutschland.

Check with an office supply store (a professional place, not just paper, staples, cheap chairs and stuff...) and see if they have something similar.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #39 of 42

I'm 5'8", not tall not short. So I stand to fill & frost cakes. I stand and sit to decorate. And I stand on a step to comfortably reach my double boiler when I make meringue icing. I stand on a shorter step to hover over my cakes that I have to write on. So that my shoulder is free to circle around kwim?

I always want to give my shoulder a break--I want it to be relaxed--it doesn't work for me to raise it up too high.

Those shoes look crazy! Let me know how you like them. I have to wear flats. I wonder how platform the front part is because the heel is kinda high for moi. Those are wild and a half.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #40 of 42

Z-coils are pricy but are worth every penny. My lower back and hips just kill me when I stand for very long but with those shoes it doesn't bother me. I guess it just depends on your priorities. Making a fashion statement is the least of my worries. I'd rather feel good then look good. Besides, very few people see me when I'm working on a cake. However, I have worn those shoes out in public and have seen others wear them as well I believe they also came out with a sandle this year.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:01am
post #41 of 42

wow, they are different to walk in...they do feel bouncy...did it take a while to get used to them?

i figured out what i really need...a cyborg body...lol!...then i could take over the world!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

wow, they are different to walk in...they do feel bouncy...did it take a while to get used to them?

i figured out what i really need...a cyborg body...lol!...then i could take over the world!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Could I get a cushy job on your staff??? Pays well don't have to do much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%