Help! I Need To Make A Bail Of Hay!

Decorating By deld Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm by crisc23

deld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deld Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 13

and I am not sure how. Im making a farm themed cake and I was asked to make hay, how can I do this? anybody willing to share some instructions?

Thank you so much! thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 13

My first thought would be yellow fondant. Use something like a pasta wheel or herb cutter (with lots of blades) and just start shredding the fondant until you get a nice chunk for a bundle. Have you tried checking any of the farm pics to see if you can tell what was used? Or you could PM one of the creators and ask what they used!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 13

I've never made one but I would think you could shape a piece of fondant into a rectangular piece and then use a knife or something to make indentions for the hay lines.

Or use a garlic press to get strings of hay and then bundle them up.

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 13

THeres a cookie called haystacks. They are delicious! But they don't look like bailed hay.... melt a bag of butterscotch and I think just dump in a bag of chow mein noodles... you can find the recipe at recipezaar. I hope that helps.....or you cool use spagetti noodle, or tan colored fondant squeezed through a clay gun and dried.

HTH!!

T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 13

Maybe you could use some shredded wheat... I guess it depends on what size you want it to be, but I think it might be available in different sizes (think frosted mini wheats... but the non-frosted ones.) You could use royal icing to make the rope around the "bales" or small strips of fondant.
HTH

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 13
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 13

I "thatched" a roof on a cake by using several different colors of fondant that I ran thru the extruder with the disc that basically has lots of little holes. Or did I run that through the pasta machine and then thru the thin spaghetti cutter? One or the other. I think now it was the pasta machine.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 13

angel hair pasta?

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 13

In the fall themed cake in my pictures I made a scarecrow sitting on a pile of hay and what I did was I started w/ a retangle chunk of yellow fondant then I took a thin sharp knife and beign to make indentions and then on the top I laid a few cut out strands of the "hay"

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 13

My farm cake has a haystack. Its a cupcake with the grass tip and yellow icing in long strings. I am sure you are looking for better then that but it turned out ok. The pic is in my photos.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 13

What about coconut?

deld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deld Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much for all the great ideas!!! you ladies are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #13 of 13

I used BC and the tip.... 233 I believe, the grass tip to make these.

The bales on top of the cake are also cupcakes just carved down a little and covered in BC.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%