Birthday Cakes

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm by charlieinMO

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:34am
post #1 of 7

I have been frustrated lately with most of my birthday cake orders. I get a lot of orders for small rounds and sheet cakes, but lately most people tell me what size they want, what they want it to say, and what color they want. When it comes to decorating it, they don't care, it's up to whatever I want to do. This is good and bad because I can decorate it how I want without them expecting something specific; but on the other hand sometimes I have no idea what to do! Generally I will just do flowers or something, but for guy cakes I am always unsure.
Now this weekend, I have a cake that the colors are Black, Hot Pink, Neon Green, etc. It is for a woman, but I don't see how I can decorate this with flowers and those colors. I was thinking about balloons, but I don't want it to look tacky.
Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what I can do for guy cakes or my cake this weekend? I guess my other option would be to have a few different set designs that they could choose from, but I also don't like making the same cake over and over! Anyway... Thanks for reading!

6 replies
smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 7

Black polka dots or stripes on white cake with hot pink flowers and neon green words .... cool! icon_smile.gif Or, if the b-day lady is a little more "wild" and fun loving, zebra patterned cake with pink and green bow (see sarah's graduation cake in my photo's).

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 7

You could make a "present" or hat box. I think that those colors would work well for one of those designs. Maybe have a ribbon with a bow and some big circles in alternating colors. There are several pics of non flower cakes in the gallery that I think would work well for what you need. Good Luck!!

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the ideas! I didn't charge her for anything special (like a hat box cake), only buttercream. Basic. But anyway... Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 7

What about 2 toned flowers??? in the hot pink and green, and then you could do the leaves the black ??
I saw someone who did roses with gumpaste and the one side of the petal was pink and the other side was green - some even were pink with the big green dots in the middle - different but effectinve - lol quite a funky cake!

For men - truffles or chocolate curls or somethign like that, or a little figure of the person doing something, otherwise striped or feathered??? sorry i find them difficult too - lol

Good luck!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 7

how about something like this?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=190203

cakery has many BEAUTIFUL cakes that you can look at for inspiration
LL

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 7

I was going to suggest Cakery too!! Her cakes are wonderful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%