For Those Who Like To See Comets

Decorating By MariaLovesCakes Updated 12 Jan 2007 , 8:32pm by MariaLovesCakes

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 10

I am a comet and asteroid avid watcher!!!! Whenever I can, that is! Cake decorating obsession doesn't leave time for much!! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, this one is a recent discovered comet, comet McNaught, and last night it was the best time to see it by us Floridians. However, in two weeks, the comet will be at its brighest for the lucky people that live in the Southern Hemisphere.

Here is a link: http://www.spaceweather.com/

http://www.wesh.com/news/10725918/detail.html

The astronomers say that it is the brightest comet in 30 years and that it will be so bright that it will be visible during the day, which hasn't happened in hundreds of years.

I LOVE IT!!!

9 replies
BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 10

Will have to keep a lookout when it passes over our Aussie skies. I read in a newspaper article that this comet was discovered last year by an Australian astronomer name R H McNaught.

Every avatar tells a story and now we know the reason for your avatar!

Barbara

MariaLovesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 10

Yep, you got it!!! My Avatar tells all!

My husband bought a nice big telescope for my birthday last year and I was able to see the rings of Saturn for the first time. Boy was I a happy camper!!!

I used to be able to go out and see the sky at night more often than I do now, but it is still a passion of mine.

I followed the news on when the famous come Shoemaker-Levy9 blasted into Jupiter a few years back and made huge dents on the planet.

Anyway, that's me.

A stay-at-home mom, astronomer wanna-be, cake decorator-fanatic!!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 10

Oh I just love astronomy........my DH (he knows how to win my heart LOL) remembered a story I told him before we even met in person (we were on the phone) about how I used to climb out my bedroom window on the second story of my parents house (which I just bought and am living in now with my children by the way lol anyhow) I used to climb out onto the roof and lay there for hours just staring up into the sky watching for falling stars and to see if I could see the milky way, etc. so for our first Christmas right after we finally met in person......he lived in NJ and I lived in Ohio at the time......he gave me this picture in a frame wrapped up..and I thought oh noo..I hope he didn't blow up a huge photo of our first meeting (I looked awefull.........I spent 8 hrs. in a car after getting off work at midnight driving to NJ to meet him lol)......anyhow I unwrapped it and it was a plaque! It said there was a star at such and such longitude and latitude named Kristina Jo which happens to be MY NAME.....he paid to have a star named after me!!! I thought that was the most magnificent present anyhow had ever given me!! (aside from God giving me the pleasure of my children)....I couldn't believe that he had remembered such a tiny thing that I just briefly mentioned!! I love that man!!1 Anyhow...........wish I could've seen the comet!!!

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 10

Wow Kristina,

that is so amazing!

You are a very lucky woman.

Maria, thanks for the information. I am so excited. I hope I will be able to see the comet too. Did you need binoculars or could you see it with the naked eye?

Right now, I live on the east coast of India, so a sunset is not over the sea, so the view is obstructed by trees and buildings.

But tomorrow, I am off to Mumbai, the west coast, where I can watch the sun set over the sea right from my home!

Two years ago, our family gift for Christmas was a fantastic telescope. But the next morning , the tsunami struck and we had to abandon our beach home without even opening the box.

Now we live in the city and have only set it up once.

Thanks again for the information,
Karen

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 10

Awww... I just realised that I've missed it!
Karen

MariaLovesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 10

The article says that you can see with binoculars... And then will be visible with the naked eye during daytime.

I missed it yesterday, because I didn't get to read the article until early this morning. But I will give it a try as the sun sets today and see if I can catch a glimpse.

This comet exceeded all expectations and astronomers didn't think that it will get so bright.

So I may be surprised myself when I take a look at it tonight...

I hope!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 10

so is it possible to see it in the U.S. tonight????? I think it's supposed to be rainy here tonight anyhow probably will be too cloudy....darn!!

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 10

My daughter and I saw it last night (thurs) as the sun was going down about 6-6:15pm, when we were going to the mall, from the highway. It was in the southwest on the horizon. My daughter said, "THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!" We could not view it weds because of the snow storm, but yesterday was great. I hope that everyone who can see it DO IT and try to with your family. My daughter said that she'll remember that for along time--she's 14.
I am in N Idaho about 40 miles west of Spokane WA. Awesome Awesome!!

MariaLovesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 10

Oh, eventhough they said that last night was the last for us in Florida, I will still take a look and see.... you never know....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%