How Would You Have Handled This?

Decorating By kutabby Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 1:03am by imartsy

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 7

I'm just starting to think of doing a cake/cookie business. Well, today I gave my daughter's swim instructors plates of cookies (in my photos). They shared them w/ all the instructors and they inhaled them thumbs_up.gif As we were leaving, one of the girls asked me if I baked or if it was just a hobby. I told her that yes, I loved to bake. Then, she asked if I did wedding cakes. I responded "I haven't done one yet. I have done several tiered cakes including a 3 tier anniversary cake" She just smiled and nodded. Should I have said something else? I noticed she had an engagement ring on her hand. How do you convince someone to give you a shot when you are just starting out? Should I find her tomorrow and give her my number? Help!
Tabby

6 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 7

I think you answered fine. You want to be truthful from the start. You spoke with the truth. Before I did my first wedding cake, I told them, this is what I've done and while not a wedding cake, I can do it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 7

Agree that you answered fine. Yes, track her down and tell her, "You were asking about wedding cakes yesterday. Are you shopping for one? Because I'd be happy to talk to you about what I can do for you!"

For future reference: "I haven't done a wedding cake yet, but I have done tiered cakes for anniversaries and birthdays..... are you needing a wedding cake?"

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 7

I agree w/ indydeb! I had that same situation. you answered fine but you sold yourself a little short and didn't mention to her that you thought you could do one. i told my girl what i thought i'd be capable of handling (elegant and simple) which is what she wanted anyway. let her know i work from home, etc... and she's fine w/ it! good luck to you! i hope your'e able to real her back in! icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 7

I just wanted to wish you luck if you decide to persue this! It can be scary to convince people that you know what you are doing-I've been there!

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #6 of 7

Ya you answered her write! I just started not long ago and I told ppl. the same, I just made sure to keep a portfolio of what I could do to show them so they could see my work! It seems to help if you can show pictures, and for sure go talk to her just make sure you know what questions to ask ahead of time and be prepared with maybe pics. or brochure, card, etc.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:03am
post #7 of 7

If you aren't legal, you should be careful - especially with wedding cakes. That's where you can run into caterers and other bakers and you could end up with a hefty fine.

Now if you are legal, you could talk to her again - but it's good to be honest and tell people up front you haven't done a wedding cake. Weddings are extremely stressful (another reason I don't do them - I'm also not legal). At least I think they are stressful and there's more importance put on the cake....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Don't panic that you may not have gotten this cake - there's always plenty of cakes to go around!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%