Pastry School Advice...feeling Lost (Cambridge Culinary)

Decorating By bake-A-cake00 Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm by Bijoudelanuit

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I am looking at pastry schools in/around New England, I'm thinking of doing a short term 6-9 month certificate program. I am 20 years old so to do a 2 year program and get out of college at 22 and be making 10 dollars an hour with a loan to pay back would not be ideal! I was looking at The Cambridge School of Culinary Arts in MA. http://www.cambridgeculinary.com/default.aspx
Does anyone have any info on this school or any other pastry school around NH??? I am looking to learn all aspects of pastry not just the cake end. Thanks for any and all advice I really appreciate it!!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 7

I wish I could help, but I am interested in the answers!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 7

How much is tuition? Is it ACF certified? Even after this you'll only be making 10 an hour. How much more do you think you'll make in little over a year difference?

Mike

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 7

Tuition, time, paycheck, these are things im still considering...anyone else have any input?

auntiem26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiem26 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 7

Hey,

I took Baking and Pastry Arts at George Brown College in Toronto. I graduated in 2006, and I am a bakery supervisor in a wheat and gluten free bakery. I have the education, the experience, and I only make $10 an hour. You really need to enjoy baking to do it as a profession.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 7

I went to Newbury College in Newton MA. They had just started a pastry arts certificate program, and the instructors there were really good. Cambridge Culinary has a good reputation but I've never taken any classes there.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%