Too Soon?

Decorating By toodlesjupiter Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm by toodlesjupiter

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone!
I am doing my first wedding cake for Saturday(4 tier, stacked fondant cake) and was wondering if it is too soon to torte, fill and ice my cakes today. I don't know if it's better to:

A) Torte, fill, ice today; cover with fondant tomorrow; decorate, detail Fri.

or:

B) Torte, fill, ice tomorrow; cover with fondant and decorate on Fri.

I have to leave early Sat. a.m. to deliver, set up, and get ready in time for wedding. Also, I may not have room for the bottom tier in my fridge, so it will have to sit out, so I didn't know if it would be sitting out too long if I started today. I'm kind of a slow decorator, so I don't want to wait to the last minute and stress myself out. Also, after the week I'm having so far, I want to leave time to fix any disasters that could happen. I've been in cake hell this week, but that's a whole other story. Any help, advice, anything will be totally appreciated! TIA!

10 replies
danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 11

What kind of filling are you using? Can it sit out for three days?

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 11

I must say first that I am not an expert. I have made a wedding cake recently though. If I were you I would Torte fill and ice on thursday. Friday I would cover with fondant and then decorate it friday night. Then I would add finishing touches on Saturday. I only say this because you cant refridgerate your largest tier and it would have to sit out. I would hate for it too sit out too long. Good Luck

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 11

I normally like to do:

I actually think that the cake tastes better after it has had time to sit with the filling in it. And the buttercream and fondant act as natural preservators keeping the cake fresh inside. I tell everyone, and on the 3rd day - we had cake!

toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 11

Danijus- I am using sleeved raspberry filling, and Sugarshack's buttercream. Sorry, forgot to add that info. icon_redface.gif

Venfica- so it's ok to let it sit till Sat.at room temp., which here is about 80 degrees? I just don't want anything to turn bad. I know icing acts as a preservative, but for how long?

If I can find a way to fit it in my fridge, it would be ok to do today for sure though, right?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by venefica

I normally like to do:

I actually think that the cake tastes better after it has had time to sit with the filling in it. And the buttercream and fondant act as natural preservators keeping the cake fresh inside. I tell everyone, and on the 3rd day - we had cake!

When you fill a cake with sleeve filling, do you put a thin layer of icing down first and put filling on to of that along with a dam? Do you use just sleeve filling? This is ok to sit out for a couple of days, or do you put it in the fridge?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 11

That sleeved filling is shelf stable for at least 5 days at average room temperature. The cake, as long as it is iced with a stable icing is fine staying at room temperature for several days.

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 11

First, you wouldn't want to refrigerate your cakes if they are covered in fondant. They could sweat and get ruined when you take them out. (I may be wrong,but that's what I have read) icon_smile.gif For a Saturday wedding, I usually torte and ice/cover with fondant on Friday, then decorate after that. I usually take all day and into the evening, but then it's fresh. If you started on Thursday though, I am sure it will be fine also. The fillings in the sleeve can sit at room temp. As long as you have the air on in your house, it should be fine. congrats on your cake, have fun with it, and good luck. icon_smile.gif

toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 11

Michele01- Yeah, I won't refrigerate it once i put the fondant on, just when it is filled/iced only. So you think I shouldn't start till tomorrow?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 11

I would think that it would be best to torte, fill, crumb coat Thursday morning. Allow it to settle. Thursday evening, give final coat of icing and cover with fondant. Friday morning, dowel(if necessary)and decorate.

toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 11

All4cake- Thank you! Ok, that's what I will do.

And Thank everyone for their help! You guys are great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%